Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/29/2003 7:31:54 PM EDT
And is it okay (legal) to talk about it? Served on my first jury and would like to share the experience, but would first like to ask the legal eagles out there if it is okay to talk about it in public. Panzer Out
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:42:34 PM EDT
good question.. I never made it past selection [:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:46:41 PM EDT
Not a legal beagle, but I have served on a few. Generally, once the verdict is handed down, you are free to talk because the decision is a matter of record and you have nothing left to judge. SRM
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:47:19 PM EDT
As long as it is a petit jury it's legal if your duty in the trial has been completed. That is to say, the trial is over.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:48:38 PM EDT
Unless the judge has issued some kind of gag order you're free to discuss the experience.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:49:00 PM EDT
I wanted to, but got dismissed from the second group of 18 they were questioning
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:51:57 PM EDT
No but I've seen 12 angry men a few times [:D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:02:30 PM EDT
Defense Atty.- Do you feel that you can be fair and impartial in a felony trial? Me- I'll do my best to withold how I feel about the underprivleged and upstanding members of our community that live there lives on welfare and prey on the hard working citizens. Defense Atty.- Nothing further for this panelist. D.A.- You are excused!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:56:06 PM EDT
I've had jury duty three times and even got to do a murder trial. The DA wanted 40 years but we gave the guy 60 on circumstantial evidence. He shot a guy with a .22 five times, stabbed him 9 times, then drove home to get a shotgun and went back and shot him two more times. I guess any job worth doing is worth doing right. "I always wanted to kill a nigger" was the quote of the day by all the people testifying against him. No matter what we gave hime the scumbag is eligible for parole after 14 years.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:22:18 PM EDT
Generally, yes you can, unless there is some kind of special order about discussing your actions. As a cop, I have been called for jury duty several times and made it to jury selection, but I never served (the defense attorney always used one of their premptory challenges to get rid of me). I was privileged to serve on a civil case about two years ago, though, and I am glad I did. Heck, after the trial, we sat down with the judge and talked about the verdict. He is usually a pretty nice guy. I say usually because I also had to testify in his court about a month ago when he was POed at the prosecutor, and therefore at all of the prosecutor's witnesses, including the lowly cop. I see lots of negative feelings about jury duty around here. It really is a part of good citizenship, and you will have a better understanding of our court system if you ever do it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:26:37 PM EDT
I had the privilege of serving on a jury that helped put away a child molester. The only problem was that the SOB only got 13 years. Once the trial is over, you can talk all you want unless the judge tells you otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:46:50 PM EDT
I was actually on a federal case here in Atlanta once for a black guy turned muslim who was buying guns here in GA and cutting the numbers off and shipping them to NY. I wanted to nail the guy but one guy (a black man at coke) didn't think there was solid proof he had anything to do with it. He the ATF had phone conversations of him talking about it. But we got him for conspiricy to traffic weapons. I don't know what his sentence was but I saw him a few months later buying tires at Sams
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:48:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 7IDL: good question.. I never made it past selection [:)]
View Quote
Ditto...and yet they keep sending me notices and making me show up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:17:29 PM EDT
I was called for Jury duty in Feb of 97. In Common Pleas (State) Court, during voidere (Sp?) The first 12 Jurors are seated in the Jury box and the rest of the Jury pool is seated in the gallery. If you are in the box and are not dismissed by either the Defense or Prosecution, you are on the Jury. Well, I was in the box, Juror number 7. This particular case was trafficking in Heroin. I had been transferred from the Vice squad back to Patrol 2 months earlier. I recognized the defendant right away. I worked the wire while the U.C. Officer made the buy. Several months earlier I had arrested him on other drug related charges. He was defending himself. Things were looking very bad for him. One of the first things the Judge ask's is if anyone knows the Def. everyone in the Court room was a little surprised when I raised my hand. The Judge, recognizing who I was asked how I knew the Def.. At this point I could have blurted it all out for everyone to hear there by tainting the entire Jury pool and pissing everyone off. I chose to ask permission to come to the bench and explain. So I met the Judge, the Prosecutor, the Def. and the Recorder at the Bench and explained the whole thing. The Judge asked The Prosecutor if he wanted to dismiss me from the Jury, no surprise that he said no. He then asked the Def.. He said "I guess so". So with that I left the Court Room. The Def. got 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:21:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 9:25:49 PM EDT by Aimless]
Top Top