Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:04:49 AM EDT
I'm thinking of trying it with my new Athlon 64 system.

It looks like most drivers that I'll require (chipset, video, etc.) are available.

What say you?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:09:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 7:09:36 AM EDT by PeteCO]
I'll probably throw it on my machine in a few weeks to see how it runs - I've got a copy enroute to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:10:24 AM EDT
::scrolls mouse to the left on Mac OS X to read more of this new OS::

Yes... I can scroll my wheel vertically, horizontally and diagonally
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:18:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 7:21:26 AM EDT by PeteCO]

Originally Posted By w4klr:
::scrolls mouse to the left on Mac OS X to read more of this new OS::

That's very cute. Now try running enterprise grade back office applications that will be accepted in corporate America's IT departments. Oh sure, you might get a few geeks to compile MySQL or something for you, but do have an equivalent to:

The .NET Framework?
SQL Server 2005's XML, OLAP, and analysis capabilities?
Exchange Server, integrated into a groupware application like MS Outlook?
Biz Talk Server?
SharePoint Services?

Granted - Macs can be cool, and in fact I will probably buy my wife one this year, but you Mac guys always comment with unjustified pomposity about how great <insert "cute" feature here> is. Until you can run a 3D CAD package like SolidWorks, most ERP packages, accounting packages (yes, I know that POS known as MYOB runs on Mac, as does Quickbooks) etc on that toy, it will remain in the realm of home users and graphics people forever.

I DO NOT want to shit on SWS' thread by igniting an open-source vs Windows debate; the linux nazis will ensure an ample supply of those threads. I was just pointing out that Mac users seem to always be compelled to shit in these threads.

Like it or not, most of America has strayed away from Apple's solutions. This is a capitalist country, so save the "Microsoft's unfair business practices, blah blah" argument. People choose Windows over Macs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:23:02 AM EDT
I'm running it on my system.
It runs really well and I've had no issues with it.

The only problem you'll run into is driver support, which is still somewhat limited. However if you look, you should be able to find drivers for most things.

A REALLY good resource is www.planetamd64.com/.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:24:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 7:25:43 AM EDT by madman_kirk]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:25:03 AM EDT
Windows x64 is rock solid the only problem most people run in to is lack of drivers… if there are drivers available for everything you have then dive in.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:25:16 AM EDT
I want to try out the OEM version but can 'find it at a good price'

I've got the time limited 'demo' but dont feel the time line they allow is sufficient for my needs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:28:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:29:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By w4klr:

Welcome to over a year ago!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:44:42 PM EDT
I'm just getting around to trying it.

DVD X copy won't run and I'm having some issues with some of the graphic software from Adobe including Pagemaker and Acrobat. DVD shrink seems to run OK. Nero 6 needs an update to run.

None of the printers I have set up on my network have 64 enabled drivers and HP doesn't have any available. HP suggests installing a driver for a printer like the 4000 and seeing if it will work.
so far the printer issue is the biggest problem.

I'm trying the free version of Avast, one of the few AV programs that can run on 64 bit. Seems to work well.

Boots very quickly. I'm running an Asus AN8E, A64 3200, Nvidia 6200 Video with 256Mb, stock fan, 160 Gb SataII WD drive and a Samsung 16X DVD/RW with a Gb of ram in a Cooler Master Centurion case with a Thermalrake 480W power supply

These are my comments after a week and a half of running.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:55:29 PM EDT
It just isnt worth it for me. I wont be able to run half my hardware and most of my software wont get any benefit from it. Thats alot to ask just for "quiker boot time"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:03:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:
It just isnt worth it for me. I wont be able to run half my hardware and most of my software wont get any benefit from it. Thats alot to ask just for "quiker boot time"

I can't imagine boot times getting much faster than XP pro is on my laptop. From the time I hit the power button, I've got the "press ctrl alt delete to log on" screen in about 10 seconds.

The new computer I'm building (and loading XP Pro on) should be about as fast, if not slightly faster.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:20:10 PM EDT
I went ahead and ordered a copy from NewEgg.

I'll just run a dual-boot (XP Home, XP Pro 64) setup until all of the details are worked out, and my printer drivers are available.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:25:55 PM EDT
I have the os sitting here on a shelf. I'm waiting for my tax refund to build a system to run it on. I built a 64bit system for a co-worker to run cad programs on, and ordered xp64 to install on it. He changed his mind after reading about driver compatibility problems so I decided to keep it for myself. He went with xp pro.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:38:59 PM EDT
Let us know if 64-bit Solitaire is any better.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:56:24 PM EDT
im running a 64bit 3k+ on xp pro. i don't see upgrading untill vista comes out. just not worth it....................... to me. my computers are not used for producing anything. just remotley fixing computers. and gaming.

i'll pass on 64 bit for now
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:43:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:
Windows x64 is rock solid the only problem most people run in to is lack of drivers… if there are drivers available for everything you have then dive in.

I've heard some utilities have a porting issue. Utilities that are 32/64 bit specific, like..... anti-virus, disk defragers, auditing (I'm not saying there arn't any, but just as an example)
Top Top