Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/16/2010 10:25:54 PM EDT
I saw it in Best Buy and was intrigued, wondered what everyone's experience has been?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 11:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/16/2010 11:52:04 PM EDT by Callahan]
Played with it for an hour, not impressed, lots of WTF's in the design in my opinion. I'll be waiting for the HP slate, full OS, USB port, Camera, multi-app capabilities, and last but not least the ability to use Flash.

Just another Fanboy product that apple releases that is just as stupid as everything else the have.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:52:34 AM EDT
I got one yesterday.

It does everything just like in the ads, and that is what I wanted, so I'm satisfied with it.

Wife was browsing the Web while we drove across town using my iPhone as a modem and streaming to the iPad via WiFi. She said it was almost as fast as her desktop for the sites she normally visits. I was also streaming Pandora Radio in the car, and made two calls on the same phone without a problem.

What does your phone do, besides make calls?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:08:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By draver:
I got one yesterday.

It does everything just like in the ads, and that is what I wanted, so I'm satisfied with it.

Wife was browsing the Web while we drove across town using my iPhone as a modem and streaming to the iPad via WiFi. She said it was almost as fast as her desktop for the sites she normally visits. I was also streaming Pandora Radio in the car, and made two calls on the same phone without a problem.

Cost $29. Rings when someone calls me. Allows me talk to whoever I call. Exactly what a phone should do.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:21:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By iNeXile556:

I got one yesterday.

Cost $29. Rings when someone calls me. Allows me talk to whoever I call. Exactly what a phone should do.

Then what you bought suits your requirements also. Most phones that cost more, do more. It's just a matter of what you want done.

iPhones were never marketed as primarily communication devices, but multipurpose phone/game/web/email devices.

I just don't get the bashers out there who have such a "Sour Grapes" attitude about this stuff. If you don't like or want something, fine. Why criticize those who do? might as well claim vanilla is the only ice cream worth buying. After all, it's cold and sweet, what else do you need?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:34:14 AM EDT

I got one yesterday.

My phone does all that as well, but can multitask and has free apps

Check out the Adam by Notion Ink. That's what I'm waiting for, if it can do what it's advertised to do and costs what they predict it will be twice the device the Ipad is. Uses Android OS, E-ink, HDMI port etc... Not excited about the Slate because of price and really, I have a feeling the full Win 7 OS isn't going to workout well...plus no E-ink.

The 2 big WTF's with the Ipad that make it a deal killer- No multitasking, no E-Ink....can't read outside...seriously, why would they not add those 2 things?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:37:43 AM EDT

I got one yesterday.

Then what you bought suits your requirements also. Most phones that cost more, do more. It's just a matter of what you want done.

iPhones were never marketed as primarily communication devices, but multipurpose phone/game/web/email devices.

I just don't get the bashers out there who have such a "Sour Grapes" attitude about this stuff. If you don't like or want something, fine. Why criticize those who do? might as well claim vanilla is the only ice cream worth buying. After all, it's cold and sweet, what else do you need?
I'm not criticizing anybody. and I don't have a sour grapes attitude, nor am I bashing anything. I simply answered you question about what my phone does.

Why so defensive about your iPhone?

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:02:11 AM EDT

I got one yesterday.

I'm not criticizing anybody. and I don't have a sour grapes attitude, nor am I bashing anything. I simply answered you question about what my phone does.

Overpaying for something that is trendy and redundant usually makes people defensive.

I was geeked up about the IPad when all we had was rumors to go on about it's features. When I found out it was a giant IPhone I laughed and forgot about the whole thing. I want a tablet with an OS and the ability to use programs I need on a daily basis. My laptop will have to suffice until someone comes out with a real slate/tablet that isn't so limited and proprietary. I wish I had time to just watch Youtube and hang out on Facebook all day, then an IPad would probably be great.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:07:22 AM EDT

I got one yesterday.

Is you iphone jailbroken to allow the tethering?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:26:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ncoday:

I got one yesterday.

Is you iphone jailbroken to allow the tethering?

Yes.

I used to tether my phone to my netbook with a USB cable. I still have that option, but now I can use my iphone as a WiFi hotspot and up to 5 devices can use it for web access. A $10 program called "MyWi" on Cydia does this, and it works great. I can still use my phone for other functions while MyWi runs in the background.

I only use Pandora Radio in my car now. I haven't turned on XM for a couple of months, and play Pandora with a bluetooth headset at the gym. I can check the stock market, email, text, while listening. While driving I can listen and use my navigation programs or Trapster with Pandora on. Now, I can do that and my wife can go on line with the iPad. I travel a lot, this beats my netbook all to hell.

BTW, I never said anyone in this thread was being critical, but it usually only takes a little while before someone comes in with "Yeah, but the Droid ROCKS, iPhones Suck" post. If I carried a basic cell phone, I'd need to also lug a computer around, I like being "Connected" all the time.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:44:38 PM EDT

I got one yesterday.

I did not think you were being critical. It seems like every phone thread ends up being a bash/bitch session though.

I didn't think I was defending my phone. It does what it does, and costs less than some other phones that don't seem to offer as much. I've got 3 of them, and will probably buy the next one when it comes out this summer. I can still sell my first one for more than I paid for it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:56:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2010 1:59:08 PM EDT by Reload_em]

I got one yesterday.

I did not think you were being critical. It seems like every phone thread ends up being a bash/bitch session though.

I didn't think I was defending my phone. It does what it does, and costs less than some other phones that don't seem to offer as much. I've got 3 of them, and will probably buy the next one when it comes out this summer. I can still sell my first one for more than I paid for it.

Nobody really bashes too much in the Tech Forums, especially this one. Cruze5 will rip you a new subnet.
If you want to have some real fun go into GD and start a Bushmaster VS Colt discussion, or Call Sarah Palin anything, good or bad, The fanboys on both sides always make those a popcorn fest!

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:28:59 PM EDT
We got an iPad at work to do some testing. Not very impressed. It's a giant iPhone without a camera. If it actually ran an OS and had USB ports etc.. it would be more useful.

I have an iPhone and will probably get the newest one available when my contract expires in Sept. But the iPad is lacking in a lot of areas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:08:30 PM EDT
I'm planning to get one for the wife. She'll use it as a back lit Kindle and something to manage her calendar and contacts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:22:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2010 5:23:44 PM EDT by Uberjager]
I played with my freinds, just imagine an enlarged iPod touch, that can't surf youtube...

I'll hold out for an HP Slate, which will have .6ghz more of power, and 1024mb of memory compared to 256, and it will support flash.

ETA: It will have win 7, a usb port, webcam, and a 3mp camera.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:26:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Uberjager:
I played with my freinds, just imagine an enlarged iPod touch, that can't surf youtube...

I'll hold out for an HP Slate, which will have .6ghz more of power, and 1024mb of memory compared to 256, and it will support flash.

Any word on a release date?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:43:51 PM EDT
I played around with an iPad today at the Apple store.

Bottom line, it's a very impressive device. It's just simple enough to be useful in its form factor, and it's capable enough for a significant portion of the market's needs.

It's not what I want (I need something that's not as locked down), I'll be waiting to take a look at the Adam when it comes out, but for many people, I think the iPad will fit their needs well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:47:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By c0t0d0s0:

Originally Posted By Uberjager:

Any word on a release date?

June 2010
Top Top