Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 10:28:18 PM EDT
good book.

This whole NewOrleans thing going on right now made me think of it. You mongoloid moron!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
My introduction to Heller was "Catch 22."

C of D didn't live up to the standard.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
good book.

This whole NewOrleans thing going on right now made me think of it. You mongoloid moron!!

Excellent book. They were making a movie out of it.
There is a statue of Ignacious (sp?) on Canal Street in New Orleans (if it hasn't blown away or been stolen).
The guy who wrote it killed his self because of the books failure.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried.  Twice.  I couldn't get through it for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It was the literary equivalent of the Jerry Springer show.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Great book.  It won a Pulitzer prize.   I don't know what became of the movie.   It has been years since I heard anything about it.  John Candy would have been perfect as Ignatious J. Reilly.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My introduction to Heller was "Catch 22."

C of D didn't live up to the standard.

?????
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Confederacy of Dunces and Catch 22 rank in the top 50th percentile of my top ten book list. But they were written by different authors Brohawk. Toole also wrote a somewhat dark short story titled The Neon Bible. I recommend it to fans of Dunces, but it isn't a comedy. Some people think the ending is weak, but one must consider the fact that Toole was sixteen when he wrote it. It is stunning work for someone of that age, and it foreshadows his future genius.

Frankly I'm glad the movie has been bogged down or canceled. The casting choices I read about were horrible. Will Ferrell was cast as Ignatious. That isn't just bad decision making- it is a crime against art. CoD is the type of story for which casting any well known comedic actor would likely kill the movie.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Confederacy of Dunces and Catch 22 rank in the top 50th percentile of my top ten book list. But they were written by different authors Brohawk.
Galland

Hmmm...

It was back when the book first came out, so I may have gotten that detail mixed up.

However, I distinctly remember regretting the time I had spent reading it.

Maybe I'm just not artsy enough.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top