Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/12/2006 8:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 8:03:49 PM EDT by LANCEMAN]
I'm thinking about trying this. I see these "I will buy your ugly house" and " I buy junk car" ads all the time but I have never seen a "I will buy you old, beat up or unwanted guns/firearms" ad. We have a couple of free trader papers and a local newspaper here so I might give it a shot.

Does anyone see anything wrong or illegal about it ? Looking for criticism and angles I have not thought of here. Obviously you might meet anybody that responds in a semi-public place and be on guard.

You never know it might turn up some good finds that uninterested people just have sitting around that they may have inherited or been left with when a spouse died. We have never had gun turn-ins around here so it might be ripe for the picking. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to screw anybody out of valuable piece for pennies but there might be some good deals to be had.

ETA: Don't really want to buy any stolen/crime related firearms either so that is something to look out for
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 8:02:18 PM EDT by Triumph955i]
I've never seen one.

if its not illegal, i'm betting there is a newspaper policy about it,.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:04:30 PM EDT
I had an ad for awhile saying i'd buy knives. top dollar paid etc.

I got maybe 2 or 3 good ones.

Typical caller was selling chinese crap.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Triumph955i:
I've never seen one.

if its not illegal, i'm betting there is a newspaper policy about it,.

Not these papers, I know the owners of two of them, not in an urban area here, very rural and they carry firearms ads sometimes
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:08:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:10:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
How many Mossberg pump 12 gauges and 9mm Hi-Points do you need?

depends on what they will take for them
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:11:06 PM EDT
In NJ, we have this:
2C:39-15. Gun advertising requirement
Any person who offers to sell a machine gun, semi-automatic rifle, or assault firearm by means of an advertisement published in a newspaper circulating within this State, which advertisement does not specify that the purchaser shall hold a valid license to purchase and possess a machine gun or assault firearm, or a valid firearms identification card to purchase and possess an automatic or semi-automatic rifle, is a disorderly person.

This clearly doesn't apply to your situation, but it might be worthwhile to check your state laws.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 8:13:28 PM EDT by VARANGIAN]
I have seen an add in the local paper classifieds sports equipment section that said wanted Winchester rifles and shot guns, its in there almost every week.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:21:49 PM EDT
A friend and I had a long, long talk about this idea a couple of years ago. We decided not to do it. Why? You get a call. It's Esmerelda Goodfriend, aged 83. Her husband died recently. He had guns and she's afraid of them. What did he have? 11 Rockola M1 Carbines, 22 Colt SAAs, 9 '03 Springfields, 6 Ma Deuces on Form 4s, et c. et c. et c.

What do you do?

"Lady, we'll haul them off for free."
"$15 each, best I can do. Sign here."
"You realize somebody could break in here and use these to attack you, right?"

We decided the moral headaches outweighed the potential profit (in money or fun). I'm sure there are other ways to look at it, and if I could keep my soul clean, I'd love to do it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:23:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kj6:
In NJ, we have this:
2C:39-15. Gun advertising requirement
Any person who offers to sell a machine gun, semi-automatic rifle, or assault firearm by means of an advertisement published in a newspaper circulating within this State, which advertisement does not specify that the purchaser shall hold a valid license to purchase and possess a machine gun or assault firearm, or a valid firearms identification card to purchase and possess an automatic or semi-automatic rifle, is a disorderly person.

This clearly doesn't apply to your situation, but it might be worthwhile to check your state laws.

I have read Florida Chapter 790 many times and haven't seen anything that would prevent it. As long as they are not commercial transactions( I take that to mean I am not a pawnbroker/FFL) then it would just fall under private sales and there is not a limit on those. I don't sell firearms I buy anyway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:25:46 PM EDT
Most of the gun shops here run adds in the "Bargain News" stating that they buy used guns. Usually the add also states that they pay "Top Dollar" for used guns. So the dealers do it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:28:54 PM EDT
The only reason I'd see against a wts or wtb ad in a circulating newspaper is people who respond know that there is a high likelyhood of guns they can rob you of being present at the place you agree to meet them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:33:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Blaster3094:
Most of the gun shops here run adds in the "Bargain News" stating that they buy used guns. Usually the add also states that they pay "Top Dollar" for used guns. So the dealers do it.

That is actually the beauty of it here. In my county and the 4 or 5 that surround it there are maybe 3 or 4 po-dunk pawn shops and the "gun shops" (feedstore/bait&tackle) are the kind that cater to hunters, basically a rack of shotguns and hunting rifles. Might be an untapped resource so to speak.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:37:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
A friend and I had a long, long talk about this idea a couple of years ago. We decided not to do it. Why? You get a call. It's Esmerelda Goodfriend, aged 83. Her husband died recently. He had guns and she's afraid of them. What did he have? 11 Rockola M1 Carbines, 22 Colt SAAs, 9 '03 Springfields, 6 Ma Deuces on Form 4s, et c. et c. et c.

What do you do?

We decided the moral headaches outweighed the potential profit (in money or fun). I'm sure there are other ways to look at it, and if I could keep my soul clean, I'd love to do it.

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I ripped off some little old lady by giving her $50 for a nice M-1 carbine for example. Maybe $200-$300 so everyone feels like they made out, would just depend on the situation.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:39:31 PM EDT
NOT a good idea!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:39:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

Originally Posted By Blaster3094:

That is actually the beauty of it here. In my county and the 4 or 5 that surround it there are maybe 3 or 4 po-dunk pawn shops and the "gun shops" (feedstore/bait&tackle) are the kind that cater to hunters, basically a rack of shotguns and hunting rifles. Might be an untapped resource so to speak.

I suspect that we're on the same horizontal band of the state. How do we organize the split (realizing that the $$$ end can be sorted out after sales)? Will we need an FFL if our purpose is enhancement of our personal collections, but we sell the crappy guns to generate cash? Hmmmmmm. This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 8:54:00 PM EDT by LANCEMAN]

I suspect that we're on the same horizontal band of the state. How do we organize the split (realizing that the $$$ end can be sorted out after sales)? Will we need an FFL if our purpose is enhancement of our personal collections, but we sell the crappy guns to generate cash? Hmmmmmm. This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

There would be nothing to obligate the purchase of an undesirable firearm in the first place.

Caller: Hey I got this rusted up (insert POS here), wanna buy it ?
Me: Sorry not interested [end call]

I would be using my pre-paid wireless phone for something like this anyway, don't want a reverse look-up back to the house

enhancement of our personal collections

That does have a nice ring to it
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:49:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
The only reason I'd see against a wts or wtb ad in a circulating newspaper is people who respond know that there is a high likelyhood of guns they can rob you of being present at the place you agree to meet them.

Well I could guarantee that there would be a ready firearm present at any transactions, someone with evil motives would probably assume I had cash at hand as well. Not much different than any other FTF I have ever done, expect the worst is how I think. All FTF I have ever done have been in public parking lots, etc. They wouldn't be coming to my house or anything.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:02:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

What do you do?

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I ripped off some little old lady by giving her $50 for a nice M-1 carbine for example.

Just imagine shes Dianne Feinstein and shes threatening to have them destroyed. Anyways if shes old shes probably a member of AARP, so shes been ripping you off for years. Stick it to the old fart I say.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:16:21 PM EDT
There used to be a guy with a WTB ad for Colt pistols and Winchester rifles in the Spokane, WA paper, not sure if he's still running it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:37:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 8:38:21 AM EDT by LANCEMAN]
anybody else ever seen this done with any success ?
Top Top