Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2008 8:42:31 PM EDT
I woke up last Monday with my left foot kinda swollen and sore. It kept getting worse as the week went on to the point I could hardly walk and ended up taking off a sick day from work, which I hate to do. I finally was able to get in to the doc on Friday (a good lookin blonde woman that looks to be in her late 20's ) After playing around with the foot for awhile she said it looks like I got gout. I've been taking meds, but it still looks and feels the same as it did Friday, I gotta go to work tomorrow, I have paid sick days but I have a job that really relies on me to be there. Anybody ever have this crap before and have any remedies that will take some of the pain and swelling out of this dang thing On a good note, if its not better by this Friday I get to let the cute doc fondle my foot again!
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I woke up last Monday with my left foot kinda swollen and sore. It kept getting worse as the week went on to the point I could hardly walk and ended up taking off a sick day from work, which I hate to do. I finally was able to get in to the doc on Friday (a good lookin blonde woman that looks to be in her late 20's ) After playing around with the foot for awhile she said it looks like I got gout. I've been taking meds, but it still looks and feels the same as it did Friday, I gotta go to work tomorrow, I have paid sick days but I have a job that really relies on me to be there. Anybody ever have this crap before and have any remedies that will take some of the pain and swelling out of this dang thing On a good note, if its not better by this Friday I get to let the cute doc fondle my foot again!

Drink plenty of full bodied beer and eat bacon sammiches like theres no tomarrow.  No seriously...dont do that. Alcohol(beer) and meat, mainly pork will cause gout flare ups. I thought I had it once and did alot of research before going to the doc. Turns out I had planter facseitis(?).
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Have gout and take the meds. Reduceing my salt intake worked for me.
and massaging the area.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Colebedemid(sp?) to assist in the removal in urea levels.

NSAIDS to decrease pain.

Watch the beer/alcohol intake.

Decrease meat intake.

Drink plenty of water.

I also hear cherries are beneficial.

Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The Australians take Celerex, which as you guessed, is made from celery.  Cut out the meats for a while and munch on celery.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I got it in my knee after I had knee surgery.. I could hardly walk for a month I had to wear a knee brace and what not for quite awhile before my body could recover. I suffered fever and god knows what else..

Icing helps alot... But the best thing you can do is just take the medication and try not to traumatize the area too much.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes! It is extremely painful.

Drink cherry juice. Also, getting drunk helped me with the pain of a gout attack.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Alieve which is an anti inflamatoryalso helps, but drink way too much water to flush your system of the irritants, and stay off the organ meats etc.  Diet is everything with gout.  The pain is level 8.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the cherrie thing works wonders!
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
When I get a gout attack, I drink lots of pomegranate juice. The pain is less by the next morning and it is usually gone in 48 hrs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies guys. This sucks, what the hell am I supposed to do with no beer or beef jerky The guys at work sure do have a blast watching me gimp around all night.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
My boss's elbow could thread a needle its so pointy right now. Not sure what he does for it but ill check.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol, did anyone else have visions of Valbow after reading the title of this thread?
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Drink cherry juice. Also, getting drunk helped me with the pain of a gout attack.

+1  It has to be dark black cherry juice.  You can often find it in the natural or organic section at the super market.  I get mine in my left toe!  I feel your pain brother!  My damned toe swells to twice its normal size, so much so that I had to ruin a pair of tennis shoes by cutting out the top.

The doctor prescribes Indocin(sp) which helps a little.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
My Dr. prescribed Indomethacin for mine, but it took a little longer to go down.......and having it in your right big toe is murder

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  It has to be dark black cherry juice.  You can often find it in the natural or organic section at the super market.  I get mine in my left toe!  I feel your pain brother!  My damned toe swells to twice its normal size, so much so that I had to ruin a pair of tennis shoes by cutting out the top.

The doctor prescribes Indocin(sp) which helps a little.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Im having a gout attack now -- since Friday nite.

Im icing it, heat, massage.  Eat bananas.

Going for an injection hopefully tomorrow.  My Dr mixes up an antinflamatory and steroid.  Also been taking naproxen (Aleve) which helps a little.

My problem is I have high uric acid - which causes problems like this.  So I take allorpurinol year round!

The suck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#16]
It appears to be my left big toe and in the joints of my foot above my second and third toe....this stuff sucks when you are on concrete on your feet for 10 hours a day at work.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#17]
The cherry thing works for my stepdad.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I knew a Lunch Lady that had it once. She ran off and got married to some guy named Joe.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Ive had gout as well and all the comments are spot on.  Cherry juice and whatever the doc prescribes works the best.  Also you are suppose to keep the foot elevated (which usually makes it throab like crazy).  You might be able to get the doc to give you an injection at the spot.  When I got an injection, the feeling went down I would say maybe 50% or so.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've take  combination of Indomethecin and cholchicine. Usually gone within 2days.

Never wait until it gets to the point yours is at. At the first sign of flare up get on the meds for a day or two.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Didn't Dusty C have that?
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Gout fuckin' suck. I've had it 4 times. And it keeps getting worse each time. Drink lots of water and cut back on rich fools.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Gout fuckin' suck. I've had it 4 times. And it keeps getting worse each time. Drink lots of water and cut back on rich fools.

Would that be the doctors?
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Black Cherry Concentrate

Aleve or Ibuprofen, but if that doesn't cut it, Indocin might work better (need an RX).

Allopurinol after the flare-up is over. I take 100mg twice a day, probably until the day I die. That's fine with me. Gout sucks.

Keep an extra pair of big shoes on hand. I normally wear 11E, but I have a pair of 12EEEEs for when the gout flares up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Gout is a uric acid problem.  If you get enough Uric acid in your synovial fluid (the fluid in your joints), it will sometimes get to the point that it's supersaturated... and will precipitate out of solution in the form of Monosodium Urate crystals.

Your WBCs ingest these crystals, die, and lead to a very nasty, inflammatory arthritis in the affected joint... and it's usually only one joint (medical term for it is Podagra when it pops up in the big toe... but you can get it in the knee, the elbow, the wrist... etc.)

Historically, Gout was known as a disease of kings and the nobility... no doubt this was partially satirical... but it's also because they were usually the only ones who had the kind of diet that would generate Gout.  Unlike the peasantry (who sometimes didn't eat at all), the nobility ate foods rich in purines, including lots of meats, beer, liver, sweetbread, etc.  These days, the average western diet can easily create gout in just about anybody (there is a genetic predisposition).

Anti-inflammatory agents, pain medicines, and steroids are about all you have.

Good luck... Gout sucks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I get it in my right big toe about once a year or so.  The proper thing to combat the pain is to smack all your other digits with a hammer.  You don't notice the toe pain as much.  It's still there and it lets you do something because you aint gonna walk or anything else.  And since you forgot to watch your diet maybe the hammer session will help you to remember.  I figure cutting my foot off with a dull hacksaw would feel better than touching the toe.

I got to about 1000 mg of ibuprofen (acetaminofen) and lots of water and it calms down in about 12 hours takes about 2 days to get back to normal.

I haven't quite yet figured out what triggers mine.  My brother has just about figured out that shrimp sets his off. My eating peel and eat or slippery shrimp in front of him sets him off in other ways.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I knew a Lunch Lady that had it once. She ran off and got married to some guy named Joe.

"sloppy joe, slop-slop ee joe-ah"

gout blows. back before Vioxx got banned it was THE SHIT, gout flares up, take 1 50mg vioxx before bed, wake up gout free. ive got about a dozen pre-ban vioxx i am holding onto like GOLD
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I got to about 1000 mg of ibuprofen (acetaminofen) and lots of water and it calms down in about 12 hours takes about 2 days to get back to normal.

Acetaminophen never worked for me. It's not a NSAID.

The doc once told me she recommends up to 3000mg Ibuprofen a day for gout, for as long as 2 weeks. Sounds like a liver buster.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Acetaminophen never worked for me. It's not a NSAID.

The doc once told me she recommends up to 3000mg Ibuprofen a day for gout, for as long as 2 weeks. Sounds like a liver buster.

Acetaminophen USED to work for me, till I OD'd on it... Now it does nothing...

I used Ibuprofen when I had gout...
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Cherry juice works like magic for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Again, thanks for the info guys
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Gout is associated with a higher intelligence, if that helps.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Apple Cider Vinegar works for some people.  One tablespoon a few times a day.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I haven't had an attack in about three years.

I lost weight (about 20 ibs) and started getting aerobic exercise every day.  I do thirty minutes on a Schwinn Airdyne.  I drink alot, and sweat alot.  That seems to have done the trick for me.

Back when I was having attacks, when I would feel one coming on I would hit the ibuprofen hard.  800 mg three times a day BEFORE the pain got too bad.  It really helped me to get a jump on the pain.  I would immediately cut out meats, eat lots of fruits and veggies, and drink tons of water.  I would get a bottle of water by my bed.  I was drinking so much I had to get up at night to go... then I would down a bottle of water before I got back into bed.  Repeat process two or three times a night.

It helped me, anyway.

Gout is certainly no fun at all.

Hope you find a way to deal with yours.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#35]
To try to prevent it, my doctor told me to drink lots of water.  He said to watch the color of your urine.  The clearer it is, the better off you are.  The darker it is, the more urea is in there, so drink up with the water.  Avoid dark drinks like cola and tea for awhile until your system balances out.  Urea buildup can also lead to kidney stones (MAJOR PAINFUL).

As noted earlier, it's caused by an excess of urea in your system.  Once gout flares up, you treat it as best you can to diminish the pain.  Try to increase fluids to flush it out, but there's no quick fix.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Where's Dusty_C?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top