Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 4:36:24 PM EDT
Just have ideas floating around in my head and was studying their website. Anybody have any experiences or opinions from obtaining financing through their programs ?

www.sba.gov
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother in law went through them in order to buy a small business.

All they really do is to prepare the paperwork and then "sub out" the financing end of it. They do NOT tell you if you are getting a good deal, if the business can really make money, etc., etc. Do NOT count on them for business advice in any form.

My bil was bankrupt in less than a year. As it turned out, the people who he bought the business from pulled one over on him. It was his fault in the end, he did not find or get the right people to look at the books and see if what he was buying was worth it.

I am sure there are people that go the SBA route and turn out just fine, but be prepared for a lot of paperwork. Again, they will not look at your "deal" and tell you if it is viable or not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
One word: PAPERWORK. Do you have any rich relatives?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The SBA doesn't loan money.  You apply for a loan through your bank, and if the application doesn't meet their funding standards, they can apply to the SBA to guarantee all or part of the loan, which leads to the large amount of paperwork from the SBA.

If you default, the bank gets reimbursed by the SBA for the guaranteed part.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top