Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/19/2003 9:24:18 AM EDT
Looking for a new and creative way of cooking a whole roasting chicken. I've got a Weber gas grill, can the two be put together to produce some decent cuisine? Any good recipes out there?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:31:23 AM EDT
simple and easy. use a rotisserie (get one if you don't have one) and liberally coat the bird with Lowries(sp) seasoned salt. Let the bird roast for about 1.5-2hours depending on weight and it will taste wonderful.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:31:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 9:32:07 AM EDT by racer934]
My Dad could make an old shoe taste great on his grill. When he cooks roasts on the gas grill, he packs a lunch because it takes a while. He places the roast on one side of the grill and only turns on the opposite burners. He has cooked turkies, chicken, roast pork, lobster, potatoes - you name it. His big thing is to keep it marinaded so not to dry out the food. -934
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:33:14 AM EDT
last thanksgiving we were going to do the turkey in a deep fat frier (you know, those big propane ones) but my uncles dog chewed up the gas line. panic swept the air, the oven was out because it was like an hour till foodtime. we stuck that big ass bird on his gas grill. it had been rubbed down with various seasonings. it went prettyu fast (maybe an hour) and was some of the best bird i have ever tasted. if it worked on that big ass turkey, im sure a chicken or 2 would be great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:33:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By racer934: My Dad could make an old shoe taste great on his grill. When he cooks roasts on the gas grill, he packs a lunch because it takes a while. He places the roast on one side of the grill and only turns on the opposite burners. He has cooked turkies, chicken, roast pork, lobster, potatoes - you name it. His big thing is to keep it marinaded so not to dry out the food. -934
View Quote
Racer got it. I usually turn one side to very low or off and keep the other side on high. Takes a while but tastes great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:34:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 9:37:20 AM EDT by Cleatus]
Beer butt chicken!!!! open a can of beer set it on your grill (not on) put the chicken right over the can- cook for a couple of hours on fairly low300 ish temp Low and slow is my theory- I someties put a pan of water next to food to evaoporate and help keep things moist.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:36:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 9:38:19 AM EDT by Gun-fan]
Sure it could. The only thing is to be sure to turn it or you will probably burn the bottom. You could do it in a pan also. Season any way you like. O good method I saw recently, is to open a beer and insert said beer into the bird. The bird would be standing upright with the can bottom down towards the flame. This method will infuse the bird with the beer steam. What he said above. Damn, you guys are fast.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:22:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By marvl: Looking for a new and creative way of cooking a whole roasting chicken. I've got a Weber gas grill, can the two be put together to produce some decent cuisine? Any good recipes out there?
View Quote
Here's the scoop. In order to properly roast a whole chicken on the grill, without the aid of a rotisserie, you need to cut out the backbone, and butterfly the chicken. This way, it lays flat on the grill, and you get maximum coverage. The next thing to do is to sear the chicken, bone side down, before continuing to roast it. This will lock in the flavor, and the moisture. Turn one half of the grill on high, and leave the other half turned off. Sear the chicken for 10-15 minutes, on the hot side of the grill. After searing, move the chicken to the "cold side" of the grill, and continue cooking on indirect heat, until the chicken is finished. This shouldn't take any more time than it would in a standard oven (about 45-60 minutes). Turn the chicken 180 degrees, half way through the cooking time. This will make sure that the bird is cooked evenly, and not burned in any one spot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:47:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 10:48:40 AM EDT by Cixelsyd]
Originally Posted By Cleatus: Beer butt chicken!!!! open a can of beer set it on your grill (not on) put the chicken right over the can- cook for a couple of hours on fairly low300 ish temp
View Quote
I saw some guy do this on a TV the other day. He rubbed an oil of some sort on the bird, and added a dry rub that he made. Then he did the can thing on the grill thing and put the chicken on it. It's supposed to cook on indirect heat and the beer will steam through the chicken from the inside (in theory). It turned out looking REAL good. CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:31:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:43:23 AM EDT
olive or veg oil is good and your favorite rub- not too much- anybody can rub their meat to death(here we go) But you gotta taste the meat! Put a pan under it if you want to catch juices to make gravy
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:47:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cleatus: anybody can rub their meat to death. But you gotta taste the meat!
View Quote
IBTL
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:00:54 PM EDT
My BBQ has a back burner for the Rotisserie... Then you put a foil tray full of water under the bird.. its a great way to do up roast beef and turkey as well....
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:38:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cleatus: Beer butt chicken!!!! open a can of beer set it on your grill (not on) put the chicken right over the can- cook for a couple of hours on fairly low300 ish temp Low and slow is my theory- I someties put a pan of water next to food to evaoporate and help keep things moist.
View Quote
Ummmmmmm, 'da best!
Top Top