Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/24/2005 3:41:23 PM EDT
I have a Net10 (tracfone) and it has worked out well. I don't talk much on cell phones (less than 150 minutes a month) to begin with so this is the best option I have found. Most of my family is local so the land line gets used most of the time. I hated when I was under "contracts" in the past and was paying $40-50 a month so I decided to give this a shot. It is nationwide $0.10 a minute no matter what so 300 minutes and 60 days of service cost me $30 for 2 months and the extra minutes rollover. Just refill it online every 2 months. I have a small Motorola phone and it works as well as others I have had in the past. Any other good/bad experiences out there ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:43:45 PM EDT
I've thought about getting one lately. I hardly ever need a cell phone, but it'd be nice to have for emergencies. Do they have anything cheaper than $30 every 2 months? And where do you refill it at? Online? I know you used to be able to at Radio Shack.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:48:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alien:
I've thought about getting one lately. I hardly ever need a cell phone, but it'd be nice to have for emergencies. Do they have anything cheaper than $30 every 2 months? And where do you refill it at? Online? I know you used to be able to at Radio Shack.

Thats the best deal they have that I could find. You get a local number for your area as well. Break it down to $15 bucks a month for 150 minutes of phone usage and it ain't a bad deal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:52:58 PM EDT
I use Tracfone.. Its O.K.

I don't use it much. I had a cell phone with Verizon for 5 years, and hardly used it. As a matter of fact, the only time I neede it for an emergency it didn't work because I was in Franconia Notch in a dead zone. Then I got rid of it.

Its cheaper to pay as you go if you hardly use your phone.

I'll be checking into Mobile to see if the plan is a better deal.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:00:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Win_88:
I use Tracfone.. Its O.K.

I don't use it much. I had a cell phone with Verizon for 5 years, and hardly used it. As a matter of fact, the only time I neede it for an emergency it didn't work because I was in Franconia Notch in a dead zone. Then I got rid of it.

Its cheaper to pay as you go if you hardly use your phone.

I'll be checking into Mobile to see if the plan is a better deal.

Net10 is a little different from the older tracfones. I had looked at the other companies in the past but they all had additional fees Net10 is the best one I have found. They have a comparison chart to the other services on their website here :

www.net10.com/compare.jsp?nextPage=compare.jsp&task=compare
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/24/2005 4:10:41 PM EDT by varmitgun]
I got a TRACFONE about a month ago,today was my last day with my contract phone i got tired of shitty coustomer service,and monthly cost of about 47.00....(paying for time i never used)the good thing with the tracfone is for 90.00 at your local-wal-mart plus the cost of the phone(20.00)you get a phone and one year of service,plus the double your time deal you get 600 min.that alone saved me about 400.00 +...........
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:26:46 PM EDT
My wife and I are quite happy with our tracfones.

We used to have a regular plan with Alltel, we both needed phones (extensive travel) but we actually only used them an average of seven minutes a month. Total.

We cut our monthly expendature from about $70 for the lowest two-phone prepaid plan, to about $20 per month. It's no-BS, gets as good or better coverage as we had under Alltel, and we aren't under some stupid contract. If the phone breaks or the battery stops charging, I can just smash it with a hammer and get whatever free or low-cost refurb model they're offering now.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:05:39 PM EDT
I get more minutes with t-mobile to go. My wife has a tracfone plan. Both companies are good with no problems. I give points to tracfone cause it works out side the US.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:17:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:39:09 PM EDT
I've been using Tracfone for about 2 years now. Works okay for me. Occasionally I have to buy extra minutes early because of heavy usage but normally it works out to about 30 bucks for two months.
Okay by me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:58:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nosmik:
I get more minutes with t-mobile to go. My wife has a tracfone plan. Both companies are good with no problems. I give points to tracfone cause it works out side the US.

T mobile has the best plans and rates around. Not a lot of BS conditions that chip away at your minutes faster than you'd expect.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:04:17 PM EDT
The big question with prepays is the coverage you will get in your area.
I asked around online some months back and it was generally agreed that Virgin had the cheapest terms for prepay; I don't know if that's true at the moment but (as of a few days ago) their website shows phones for $20 and the requirements are that you purchase $20 of minutes every 3 months, minimum. Dunno about the rolling-over part of it.
------
I just dropped a Verizon $60 monthly account, just because in 3 months I never really used it.
~~~~~~
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:51:41 PM EDT
That's not really prepaid then. If you have requirements to buy every 2 or 3 months then you are in a contract. I just buy a yearly card (1k minutes) and forget about it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:56:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:03:34 PM EDT
Trac-phone then wait for the internet specials
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:46:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DirtyDan:
Trac-phone then wait for the internet specials

We've hit them with free phones,free shipping,all kinds of specials on line.Only use them for "I'll be late","boat broke down" etc-emergencies.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:31:02 PM EDT
All right, I'll rephrase. The requirement of buying almost every month instead of a long time compared to other plans.

There, better?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:39:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:56:25 PM EDT
I have Virgin Mobile. costs about $20 every three months.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:04:20 PM EDT
I got my son (teenage) one for Christmas. I'm hoping it will teach him to moderate on the phone.
Top Top