Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
10/15/2021 7:52:46 PM
Posted: 7/23/2013 7:48:43 PM EDT
Throw your pics up, I'm interested to see them and hear your experiences with the breed.  Never really thought about owning one before buying a pup from a breeder a few months ago, but he's been a joy so far.

He's 7 months and 106lbs when we weighed him last week, loves pulling kids around the neighbor hood on a cart, and picking fights with the grumpy old bastard of the house.  I really need to make a sled for him.
When we got him

Now

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:58:14 PM EDT
I love them but I can't stand drool.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:02:01 PM EDT
Do you have one of those small cask collars like in the cartoons?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:02:35 PM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, that took some getting used to

If this motherfucker drinks any water at all, you better steer clear of him for awhile.  We've strategically placed towels around the house for this reason.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:04:53 PM EDT

Quoted:

Do you have one of those small cask collars like in the cartoons?
View Quote
We have the shitty one that's in the last pic, when he's fully grown, we'll get him a nice bronze banded one.

Fill it with bourbon when we go camping and he'll be the best bartender ever

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:18:01 PM EDT
Chinese delicacy. Hope there are none in your neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:24:43 PM EDT
I want one real bad.....almost brought a puppy home a few times on a whim.  The slobber just scares me away
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:32:32 PM EDT

Quoted:

I want one real bad.....almost brought a puppy home a few times on a whim.  The slobber just scares me away
View Quote
If you keep a cloth by the water bowl, its really not that bad.  The retarded shit these dogs do more than makes up for it

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:35:23 PM EDT
I have two.

Eta, they start out SO cute and cuddly...

But then they turn into cute and cuddly monsters.

They're the best.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:06:03 PM EDT

Awesome!  Are they siblings?
And are they a bit slow in the head?  I'm convinced that Toby is retarded sometimes, but its also hilarious.
Dig that pic of the pups together, mine used to be cute too, but it was gone in a heartbeat

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:07:43 PM EDT
I have two. Love the breed. Will go try and get a picture.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:08:00 PM EDT
View Quote

Holy drool batman.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:10:06 PM EDT
How many pounds of food do they eat a day?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:15:01 PM EDT
Tag...so I can show the wife later.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:17:15 PM EDT

Quoted:

View Quote
Ours is eating six cups of orijen large puppy, lemme go weigh it.

ETA looks like about three pounds a day

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:19:39 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

I have two. Together they eat about 80-85 pounds of food a month. Roughly 50 bucks worth. In addition they get leftovers and handouts fairly regularly too.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:20:17 PM EDT

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:26:45 PM EDT

Quoted:
I have two. Together they eat about 80-85 pounds of food a month. Roughly 50 bucks worth. In addition they get leftovers and handouts fairly regularly too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How old and big are they?  I've heard that the appetite slows down when they reach maturity, which would be nice.  Right now his food is costing about $150 a month at six cups a day, he's going to be bumped up to seven and a half cups once he reaches eight months.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:37:02 PM EDT
Quoted:

How old and big are they?  I've heard that the appetite slows down when they reach maturity, which would be nice.  Right now his food is costing about $150 a month at six cups a day, he's going to be bumped up to seven and a half cups once he reaches eight months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect you are feeding more expensive food than I am. Plus you're in Alaska so I bet it costs more up there as everything does.

Mine are 3 and 6 years old. The 3 year old is male and about 130+ pounds. Not sure exactly as he is hard to weight. The 6 yr old is female and right about 110.

I feed them based roughly on the recommendations on the back of the food bag. Most food seems to be about 4 cups for 100 pds, and 1/4 cup per 10 pounds after that.

I use Parina dog chow green bag (I think $24 for 46 pds or so ) primarily for the female, and diamond high protein ( $32 for 40 pds ) mostly for the male. Reason is he is younger and seems to need it while the other one has always done fine with basic off the shelf food.

I've had the 6 yr old since she was a puppy, and got the other a year ago when he was two.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:49:05 PM EDT
Quoted:

And are they a bit slow in the head?  I'm convinced that Toby is retarded sometimes, but its also hilarious.

Dig that pic of the pups together, mine used to be cute too, but it was gone in a heartbeat

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn416/Nsw8148/DSC_5796_zpsbccf41cd.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn416/Nsw8148/DSC_5796_zpsbccf41cd.jpg

I think are you right. At least in the case of my big guy he is most definitely retarded at times.

Sometimes he'll be up on the porch and watching me set up his food below. A few times he didn''t realize that he needs to go to the other end of the porch come down the stairs and get it. Instead he just stood there and looks confused.

He makes up for it in size, and he is a good dog anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:51:15 PM EDT
We have one - a petite female... Little less than 90 but still growing at 2 yrs.  She has us completely wrapped around her finger (paw) and knows it.  We got her around 14 wks old from a rescue organization and have raised her since.  The 7 lb cat pretty much bosses her around... I will try to post pics later.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:04:58 PM EDT
here is a few more.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:13:28 PM EDT

Quoted:
I suspect you are feeding more expensive food than I am. Plus you're in Alaska so I bet it costs more up there as everything does.

Mine are 3 and 6 years old. The 3 year old is male and about 130+ pounds. Not sure exactly as he is hard to weight. The 6 yr old is female and right about 110.

I feed them based roughly on the recommendations on the back of the food bag. Most food seems to be about 4 cups for 100 pds, and 1/4 cup per 10 pounds after that.

I use Parina dog chow green bag (I think $24 for 46 pds or so ) primarily for the female, and diamond high protein ( $32 for 40 pds ) mostly for the male. Reason is he is younger and seems to need it while the other one has always done fine with basic off the shelf food.

I've had the 6 yr old since she was a puppy, and got the other a year ago when he was two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As soon as he is mature, we'll probably start getting his food from Costco, but we're trying to get him all the nutrients he can while he's a puppy.  $75 for a 38lb bag is pretty pricey, and we're starting to feel it it with how much he eats.

Looks like you have a couple of amazing dogs.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:39:00 PM EDT
Quoted:

As soon as he is mature, we'll probably start getting his food from Costco, but we're trying to get him all the nutrients he can while he's a puppy.  $75 for a 38lb bag is pretty pricey, and we're starting to feel it it with how much he eats.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I can understand that. I don't even remember what I feed mine as a puppy. It was 6 years ago now.

The other guy I got when he was two, but I do buy him high protein food as he needed to pick up some weight.

They are good dogs. Both have their weaknesses in behavior, but all dogs do.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:51:58 PM EDT
Nice looking animal. He's going to be a monster for sure. Welcome to my world on the drooling front. I sure do wish my guy only ate 6 cups/day. He's been at 9 for the longest time now. I think since he's been about 7-8 months old.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:23:59 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes these two are brothers from the same litter and we picked them up eight years ago now. We only planned on getting one but the breeder offered us the runt for a hell of a price.

They've been inseparable since day one and  they will each always be the others best buddy.

As for being slow, these two while being very goofy at times, are both incredibly smart. Simon, the bigger 160 lb'er might be a little smarter than his little brother though.

The little guy, Phinny, is only 140 lbs and he's the wild one of the two.

And having both of them is a hell of a lot of fun. When these guys get to take a walk downtown they get attention like they're a thanksgiving day parade.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:29:43 AM EDT
Quoted:

If this motherfucker drinks any water at all, you better steer clear of him for awhile.  We've strategically placed towels around the house for this reason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, I had a mastiff.  I know all about the drool towels.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:53:32 AM EDT
Quoted:

Yes these two are brothers from the same litter and we picked them up eight years ago now. We only planned on getting one but the breeder offered us the runt for a hell of a price.

They've been inseparable since day one and  they will each always be the others best buddy.

As for being slow, these two while being very goofy at times, are both incredibly smart. Simon, the bigger 160 lb'er might be a little smarter than his little brother though.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg140/savagefward/0405001608_zpscfcb3cff.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg140/savagefward/n521394953_1658062_2068jpg.jpg

And having both of them is a hell of a lot of fun. When these guys get to take a walk downtown they get attention like they're a thanksgiving day parade.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg140/savagefward/2013-03-05_16-44-32_74_zps16fb642e.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg140/savagefward/n521394953_1658062_2068jpg.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg140/savagefward/2013-03-05_16-44-32_74_zps16fb642e.jpg

Those are good looking dogs.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:04:48 AM EDT
Great looking dags. In before the Cujo jokes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:16:59 PM EDT
nice schnapps barrel.

Mr. Jakob McJunkens has one too.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:23:07 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:54:33 PM EDT
In the ancient days when I was a wee lad, the two meanest dogs on my paper route were Saint Bernard.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:13:40 PM EDT

Here is "Atocha" (on the left). He is a gentle giant  (loves the cat) but he not too smart. He thinks he is an 8# lap dog and he is scared of the dark. If we don't leave a light on for him, he will whimper all night long. He will let small kids do ANYTHING to him but if he doesn't know an adult he will growl and drool with his best Kujo imitation until they un-ass the area.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:15:46 PM EDT
They are nice dogs, but I prefer to pick up Chihuahua turds for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:21:36 PM EDT

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They look like a blast

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:22:39 PM EDT

Quoted:

nice schnapps barrel.

View Quote

Nice looking dog, where'd you get your barrel?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:16:29 PM EDT

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice schnapps barrel.

My wife's folks ordered it for him from Germany or Austria, I can't remember which.  Hand-crafted and a long wait.  I made the collar that attaches it.

How about you?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:40:49 PM EDT

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nice schnapps barrel.

My wife's folks ordered it for him from Germany or Austria, I can't remember which.  Hand-crafted and a long wait.  I made the collar that attaches it.

How about you?

Ebay for like $50

I'll be looking for a quality made bronze banded one like you have when he's fully grown.  The one we have looks cool, but I want some functionality for camping trips

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:49:43 PM EDT
My neighbor has one. This has been my first time spending time around one (when he gets loose he comes over to visit). They are cool dogs. As to drool, he seems to be a real dry mouth. My neighbor said that the only time it gets bad is when he has been drinking.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:25:56 PM EDT
Quoted:
My neighbor has one. This has been my first time spending time around one (when he gets loose he comes over to visit). They are cool dogs. As to drool, he seems to be a real dry mouth. My neighbor said that the only time it gets bad is when he has been drinking.
View Quote

Drool seems to be hit and miss.

Of mine, one is a drooler and the other drools as little as you could expect of any dog.

And they're siblings from the same litter.

If a breeder tells you their Saints are dry mouth don't listen to them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:31:00 PM EDT
We had a big beautiful boy that we bought from a local breeder here in Anchorage.  He was awesome.  The next door neighbor kid opened the gate and let him out, and he got hit by a car.  We love them.  He was only 2 when we lost him, and weighed 225.

We have since bought 2 mastiffs; one Neapolitan, and one English.  We just had to put our Neo down :(

Love the St. Bernards
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:34:29 PM EDT
Quoted:

Of mine, one is a drooler and the other drools as little as you could expect of any dog.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of mine was supposedly a dry mouth, and she doesn't drool very much so I guess they were right in this case.

My male drools a lot. And then some. I've found drool 6 ft up on walls from him shaking it off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:38:58 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  We were lucky and ours was truly a dry mouth.  Our mastiffs, my Neo was a mad drooler, and my English is a dry mouth, thank God
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:57:50 PM EDT

Quoted:

We had a big beautiful boy that we bought from a local breeder here in Anchorage.  He was awesome.  The next door neighbor kid opened the gate and let him out, and he got hit by a car.  We love them.  He was only 2 when we lost him, and weighed 225.

We have since bought 2 mastiffs; one Neapolitan, and one English.  We just had to put our Neo down :(

Love the St. Bernards
View Quote
Damn, I'm sorry to hear about that, I'd be devastated

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:00:44 PM EDT
We breed good dogs
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.