Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 8:24:29 AM EDT
Im only to chapter 30, but wow, its sorely lacking thus far. In addition to his character development being way below his own standard (which sucked anyway with the exception of Langdon) and he doesnt go into nearly as much detail as his previous 4 books. Seriously though, how many times can you get away with a disfigured Japanese character born in an government camp? Its a repackaged grouping of portions of his previous four books.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't be disappointed when I already knew it would be shit. A novel written by Dan Brown, what exactly did you expect?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Have not made it thru the book yet, but that sounds very disappointing, I like all the other books and this was suppose to bethe best yet?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can't be disappointed when I already knew it would be shit. A novel written by Dan Brown, what exactly did you expect?

i liked his first four. A few other people did too

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Dan Brown = Shitty books good for killing time on planes.

He writes about as good as the Harry Potter and twilight series.

Get some Cormac Mcarthy books for REAL Literature.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Dan Brown is a sorry excuse for an author. What do you expect?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dan Brown = Shitty books good for killing time on planes.

He writes about as good as the Harry Potter and twilight series.

Get some Cormac Mcarthy books for REAL Literature.

THIS/thread
Seriously, I have nothing that needs to be added that assesment...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
nvm

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I just started reading it.  I'll check back in when I finish.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#9]
McDonald's sells a lot of burgers, too. Does that make them better hamburgers?

Edit - not "bashing" Dan Brown's body of work, it is what it is (easy, fast reading for the masses.) I'd prefer some Umberto Eco, personally.

http://www.umbertoeco.com/en/foucaults-pendulum-1989.html One of my faves.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I read a lot of different books. From classic literature to modern "commercial" fiction. I have read Dan Brown's previous 4 books. I thought Angels & Demons was the best of the 4. I began The Lost Symbol last night and fit in the first 60ish pages before crashing. So far I am disappointed as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

to the people that like them, yeah. If you dont like them fine, but dont turn into a cry baby because a LOT of people disagree with you.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

to the people that like them, yeah. If you dont like them fine, but dont turn into a cry baby because a LOT of people disagree with you.

Don't get too butt hurt (see edit above.)

For the record - I find Brown entertaining, but haven't read all his prev. books - I just haven't had time enough to do much fiction reading of late...

BTW - if you're into the whole suspense/action genre - check out Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's books if you've haven't seen them. I found them highly enjoyable. http://www.prestonchild.com/

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember reading "The DaVinci Code" and thinking "THIS is the book everyone's been raving about and recommending to me for the last two years? My friends are idiots."

Brown is a TERRIBLE author, but a helluva salesman.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#14]
BeltFed - your avatar is awesome!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Edit - not "bashing" Dan Brown's body of work, it is what it is (easy, fast reading for the masses.) I'd prefer some Umberto Eco, personally.

http://www.umbertoeco.com/en/foucaults-pendulum-1989.html One of my faves.

I wonder if it loses much in the translation? I enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum, but I didn't think it was leaps and bounds ahead of the Dan Brown stuff.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#16]
The masses voted for Obama too, does that mean he's the best thing ever?  

Brown is ok, not great by any stretch of the imagination.  There seem to be very few really outstanding authors out there.  If you want to make Brown seem really good, try reading some Ludlum or Patterson.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The masses voted for Obama too, does that mean he's the best thing ever?  

Brown is ok, not great by any stretch of the imagination.  There seem to be very few really outstanding authors out there.  If you want to make Brown seem really good, try reading some Ludlum or Patterson.

I like Patterson....  and Brown too.  Ive read all of browns books and thought they were good.

My favorite by far is John Grisham (i havnt dove deep into books yet) although I havnt read all his stuff.

Just started reading the lost symbol now.  Only on page 24.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Finished. It got a LOT better. Then, it sucked even worse. and then it was over.

It just ended. It could be the most anti climactic ending ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top