Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:13:30 PM EDT
About 5 years ago I gave some blood and thought nothing else about it. Then a few year later I went to donate some more (had done it multiple times since) and they said I couldn't because I was on the "banned" list from the donation 5 years ago

Well after a couple of sleepless nights I finally got to the bottom of it and found out I had apparently had a positive for a HEP C antibody (oh shit). Well over the next couple of years I had the full battery of tests run every six months and came up clean every time so it was determined to be a false positive

No antibodies have ever been found again, liver function is great, RNA, whatever. No family history of HEP C where I could have inherited it.

So my blood is now banned, I don't have any pre-ban blood to give so I am SOL in the blood donating department. There is some process to get taken off the list but I never got around to it.

Just curious if anybody else has ever had a similar experience ?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't give due to living in Europe (mad cow) and due to my anthrax shots.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You could just buy your own cookies and juice, you know.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Where I donated, they said they would just pitch mine.  I don't think they banned anybody from coming in, but they told me they wouldn't use my blood.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Stop sharing needles and banging dirty chicks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Pre Ban Blood.

I try to give 3 or 4 times a year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hint: they really don't like it when you come in to donate blood and are carrying it in buckets.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
giggidy, giggidy, giggidy..

i'm banned..
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Banned for temperary periods.

Back in action now.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If they want my blood, they can harvest it from my rotting, disease-ridden and blackened organs themselves.

Just kidding. I'm diabetic.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Used to give when I could (loved the free granola bars),but now I take BP meds and its a no-go.

Still leave plenty on the stuff I work on though
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Last time I gave blood I tried to kill everyone around me while I was blacked out.

Appernently it took like 6-7 people to hold me down, I woke up all sweaty will 6-7 nurses restraing me, and my arm hurt like hell from all of the neadle thrashing. It felt like a was being tasered the whole time too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The Red Cross came to my unit once for a "voluntary" blood drive, but half of us had just returned from Central America, and we were told we were no longer allowed to give blood because of the anti-malaria meds we had to take while there?  Is this still the case?  Not that it matters after the GW1 vaccines, but...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Anthrax, smallpox, and Iraq.

I'm off the list for a while.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I HATE needles.....

I banned myself...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
First time I gave blood, no problems. Second time I tried giving blood, they rejected me because my pulse was too high.

1) My pulse is ALWAYS high and my doctor said I was still okay to give blood

2) Of course it was high. I was just about to get a fricking spring-loaded spear through my finger.

Haven't had the chance to do it again since.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yup.  Me too.  Not due to anthrax, but due to a year deployed in Bosnia.

-K
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1 to living in Europe in the 90s...  Carter has me banned...  the Red Cross is more specific about years & countries, so they'll let me roll up my sleeve.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]

I know a Lady at work who takes about SIX prescription Drugs , including
Psychotropics, and they let her Donate.

Go Figure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Practically identical, except that I got a letter from the Red Cross rather than waiting 5 years to find out. I've had complete blood scans done and I was fine. That was about 15 years ago and I haven't given blood since. Damn shame . . .
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Chuck Norris got banned for declining the syringe, and requesting a pistol and a bucket.

He shaved his beard and returned, but was banned once again for trying to donate blood. Except this time the blood was already drawn and sealed in 25 ziploc bags. Gallon, ziploc bags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Practically identical, except that I got a letter from the Red Cross rather than waiting 5 years to find out. I've had complete blood scans done and I was fine. That was about 15 years ago and I haven't given blood since. Damn shame . . .

Scary as shit when you get that notification ain't it
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I rarely go a year without getting a tattoo so yeah, I'm banned till I quit gettting them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm on the banned list for 5 years.....the big C    cancer previously
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Anthrax, smallpox, and Iraq.

I'm off the list for a while.

I missed the anthrax but got the smallpox vaccine, some plasma places pay top dollar to donars that have a bunch of vaccines though so you may be sitting on a goldmine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Technically, by their own rules, everyone living in the U.S. should be banned, since there's been at least one case of mad cow over here, right?  

My wife is banned, because one of her ex-boyfriends died from AIDS.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#26]
pre-ban blood. heh heh heh. Thanks for the laugh.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not officially banned, but I won't donate blood due to my having had Lymes Disease. Those spirochetes are the devil to actually eradicate, and I won't risk infecting someone else.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I refuse to donate after seeing those dumb fucking comercials about saving the world and crap.  I chose to keep my blood for spite.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#29]

had cancer about 1.5 years ago. don't know if i'm officially "banned" or not, but most likely...

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Lanceman, I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.  Except I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks after giving blood telling me I tested pos for HEP C.  I underwent blood tests at my doctor and he said I was clean.  He also told me that it is really easy to get a false positive for the Hep. test, and what happened to me is quite common.  I was a nervous wreck until I got the test done at my Doc.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Technically, by their own rules, everyone living in the U.S. should be banned, since there's been at least one case of mad cow over here, right?  

I don't think I would have told that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I was in line to donate blood in High School. Didn't feel well, but went anyway.  The nurse pulled me out of line, took my temp and said I looked a little too "yellow" for her and suggested I go to a doctor ASAP.  Turns out I had hepatitis A.

Funnest 12 weeks of my life ensued.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I had the same thing happen when I was 16, only it wasn't the Hep C test that gave a false positive, it was the HIV 1/2 antibody test.  I knew there was no way I had HIV and I was still freaking out!  The messed up thing is that they even retested my blood and it came back negative, as did all of the other HIV tests, and they still wouldn't take me back.  I'm fighting with them now to get back on the good-to-go list.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I give every chance I get, but it is an ordeal every time.

One of the potentially-disqualifying questions on the Red Cross form asks if you've ever had yellow jaundice, obviously to screen for hepatitis.  Well, I've never had any form of hepatitis but I have Gilbert's Syndrome, a benign and not-uncommon (although largely undiagnosed) metabolic condition which sometimes leads to yellow jaundice.  I have to answer "yes" to the question, then explain the condition.  There is a code in their manual for Gilbert's (it does not preclude you from giving blood), but getting them to understand and look it up is like pulling teeth.  

If I didn't feel so strongly about giving blood (I do), I wouldn't put up with the hassle...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
About 5 years ago I gave some blood and thought nothing else about it. Then a few year later I went to donate some more (had done it multiple times since) and they said I couldn't because I was on the "banned" list from the donation 5 years ago

Well after a couple of sleepless nights I finally got to the bottom of it and found out I had apparently had a positive for a HEP C antibody (oh shit). Well over the next couple of years I had the full battery of tests run every six months and came up clean every time so it was determined to be a false positive

No antibodies have ever been found again, liver function is great, RNA, whatever. No family history of HEP C where I could have inherited it.

So my blood is now banned, I don't have any pre-ban blood to give so I am SOL in the blood donating department. There is some process to get taken off the list but I never got around to it.

That's weird, the exact same thing happened to me, even saying I had that Hep anti-virus. It scared me too, but I don't have it, that was over 10 years ago. I don't know WTF those people are doing.

Well screw it, no one gets my blood I guess.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I also am banned because of the Hep antibody.  They told me this after I had given blood like 6 times.  I never did bother getting checked by a doctor.  Is that something I should do?  I was banned back in 1987.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I am going to start giving selling blood all the time............saving up for that MAC-10
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Permanently banned: malaria, cancer & hep anti-bodies.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#41]
permanently on the ban list.  Anthrax and Mad Cow did it for me.  They told me since I was vaccinated for Anthrax I was a NO-GO. h

[edit] Forgot the smallpox vaccines.....man that hurt
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Last time I gave blood I tried to kill everyone around me while I was blacked out.

Appernently it took like 6-7 people to hold me down, I woke up all sweaty will 6-7 nurses restraing me, and my arm hurt like hell from all of the neadle thrashing. It felt like a was being tasered the whole time too.

I'll bet you are a hoot to wake up at the deer lease!

"I'm not waking him up.  YOU wake him up!"
"Fuck that.  Let's go."
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Weird, going thru the Red Cross and one of the local blood banks sites they don't list anthrax or the time period I lived in europe as disqualifications, but every time I have tried to give blood they have disqualified me for those reasons.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm told the anthrax vaccine precludes me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#45]
I am also an anthrax vaccine bannee.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The same exact thing happened to me.  I used to donate at a Red Cross place by my house, but I got a letter saying they found HepC and that I was no longer eligable to donate.  I immediately went and had some blood tests done and there was no HepC whatsoever.  Well, that sucks, but it is what it is.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The Red Cross came to my unit once for a "voluntary" blood drive, but half of us had just returned from Central America, and we were told we were no longer allowed to give blood because of the anti-malaria meds we had to take while there?  Is this still the case?  Not that it matters after the GW1 vaccines, but...

I was originally told that I'd have to wait 6 years after I'd had malaria to donate again, then to be rejected permanently because  of my 27 months in Central Africa...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, I had donnated several times, then one time they said I couldn't, due to some indiscertions(sp?) in my teen years!

I allways gave the same answers, so I don't know if the changed their qualifications or something?

Travis
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Since I had cancer a couple years ago they won't touch my blood.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm banned because I lived in England for 4 years. It's okay though, I rarely go a year without getting a tattoo anyway. Sucks for them since I'm O negative - the universal donor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top