Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 10:38:07 AM EDT
Just currious what you think of it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not purchased one yet but two of my partners have them.  They both seem to really like the round and claim that it is a tack driver.  I'm not sure if I'll get one or not, I'm not convinced that it was necessary to revamp the 45ACP and I'm still not sure if the ammo will become a rarity in years to come.  I think it's a good round but I'm just not sure it's going to take off well enough to make the ammo readily accessible.  Both of my partners have had minor difficulties in obtaining ammo.  I'm sticking with my 40's for now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Disclaimer: I have no first-hand experience with the .45GAP

However, I feel that it was a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  The .45ACP is a common, standarized round that performs well.  The .45GAP provides no performance increase, and has little to offer as regarding size reduction.  It is basically a proprietary round and only two manufacturers are offering pistols chambered for .45GAP (please correct me if I'm wrong).  I believe that it will go the way of the .41AE and other similar rounds: i.e., a novelty round for collectors and an oddity.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Seen it in a display case at GT's,  I've never seen the ammo for sale.   The 5.7 is more common.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Seen it in a display case at GT's,  I've never seen the ammo for sale.   The 5.7 is more common.

Really? That is suprising. So I'm guessing there aren't any departments issuing the GAP then. Or atleast none that have ar15 members.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? That is suprising. So I'm guessing there aren't any departments issuing the GAP then. Or atleast none that have ar15 members.

It's a cartridge that outperforms no other for the size reduction. It would cost more for departments to buy in bulk than .9mm or .40, which are proven rounds anyways. My dept has 3000 cops. New guns, retraining and stocking new ammo is something they'd never do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Having actually fired the .45 GAP through a Glock at an instructor conference, I can tell you that it is a stiff kicking round.  It has much more snap than a regular .45 which we had right next to it for comparison.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
However, I feel that it was a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  The .45ACP is a common, standarized round that performs well.  The .45GAP provides no performance increase, and has little to offer as regarding size reduction.  Just my opinion.

The ol' nail on the head was hit mdb212.  .45GAP   I am going out on a limb here but does (ladies do not read)  Does G.A.P. stand for Girls Are Participating

I am just guessing here?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top