Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2008 10:42:04 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone still carries a Mini 14 Gb for duty? I have carried one for seven years and I would bet my life on it. Just wondering if they are still used.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Kansas still uses them. Junk IMO.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]
A PD I did some qualifying for last year has them.  The guns are nothing but shit IMO.  I tried to talk to the dept. head while we were on the range.  The sights were junk and the bbls were shot out.  Another instructor was out there with them this year and yes they had the same mini's and the same problems.

I phoned the store I work at part time to get a price on a mini 14 for a person that is set on getting one ($675?).  For that much and a little extra (new/used) I'll get the AR.  There is no comparison between the two.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Our Sgts are issued the plain jane Minis; they didn't even go the extra step of getting Gb models.
One of the local PDs carries the GB's because they feel they are more PC than an AR.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried one for a few years.  It's my personally owned gun.  I liked it and still have it in my safe.  I just upgraded to an AR in the last year.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Our dept. carried them up until about a year and a half ago.  The same arguments about price an appearnce were used by those who didn't think they were needed/wanted.  The whole EBR public perception.  I say if you're pulling out a patrol rifle a little intimidation may help get your point across to the looky-loos standing in thier front yards, it's time to go inside now.

I did pick one up for $330 when they sold them off, came with 3 20 round mags too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Had 40 Gov models then we replaced some with the new version (no spring loaded ejector) and had the fixed ejector cut holes into and through the bolt well into the firing pin channel. Sent them all back for refits scraped a few,then went to ARs RR and Colts. Pulled all the Minis off the road.

Shit fell off them and broke and bent all the damn time not made for rugged use what so ever!

Although our last shoot had a Patrol rifle guy get 2 hits COM with his Mini with an EO TEch and the SWAT rock scored up 3 misses with his MP 5.

Federal 55gr BTHP looked like a firework show in the autopsy X rays fucking destructive!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Mini-14 =
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried one for a few years and wouldnt hesitate to carry one again, but I have an AR now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
We use them in our perimeter towers, and have to qualify with them yearly. It's a joke. Minute of man accuracy at best. At the range you may do ok, or may have to re-qualify depending on which gun you pick up. I always try and shoot last to find which rifle is shooting the best groups, and use that one.

I'd hesitate to use one if there is anyone around who doesn't need shot. No telling where those bullets are going to go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Our QRT guys used to employ the AC556 (F/A Mini GB) but they ditched them for M4s and G36s.
They still have them, and will shoot them for kicks once in a while.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]
we had them at the prison I worked in.

they were 3-4 MOA

for the money (read, the cheapest the state would buy) they were ok.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top