Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 8:15:37 AM EDT
Getting my 2nd degree in Security Management.  It's technically under the Homeland Security umbrella at my college.

I don't work at a security job right now, and I have 0 security experience.  I DO NOT want to be a basic security guy who drives around in a marked security car at a mall or checking out different businesses and such, and I figured an armored car guard would be cool and different.

I'm hitting a CCW class here soon, which I figured is a good way to stand a part on the application.

Anybody do this?  Any hints?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It's high risk/very low pay type work.  It would be good experience, but, I don't know if the risks warrant the reward.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
It would probably be better to find a job at a Nuclear facility, do security there for a while.

Better training, and pay.

IM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not willing to possibly die for money that isn't mine .
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It would probably be better to find a job at a Nuclear facility, do security there for a while.

I'd love to do that, I know the guys at the Calhoun plant are damn good at what they do.  I figured you needed a lot of experience - .mil and security - for that type of thing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to do that, I know the guys at the Calhoun plant are damn good at what they do.  I figured you needed a lot of experience - .mil and security - for that type of thing.

IM being sent.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I did it for years. Low starting pay ($10-$12 hour). Went from driver to Night manager in 3 months. The managers made good money, but the hours were terrible.

If you are smart and are willing to work, then you will advance.

20% of the guys I worked with had no business carrying a gun....
20% of the guys I worked with WANTED to get into a gun fight......
40% were just putting in their time and could care less about security....
20% did a good job and took it seriously.

Get into the 20% crowd that take it seriously. If you have a partner that is complaining about divorce, child care payments or overdue mortgage payments, THEN GET A NEW PARTNER. Temptation may become too great for them.

Use the job as an opportunity to build situational awareness and constatnly war game in your head about what could happen. It is a boring job, but be thankful that it is a boring job. If the job gets exciting, then you did something wrong.

If you can, find out if you can become a firearms instructor for them, even if you have to pay for some of the training.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been working for a Armored Truck company for eight years now and manage a branch here in Ohio.  I've done just about every job from Driver?Guard to Manager.  A CCW most likely isn't the permit you will need to carry for work.  I know for a fact it isn't in Ohio.  We pay for new hires to go through the State training to get their gun cards.  That training class can then be used to get your CCW so you can kill two birds with one shot and not have to pay to take a CCW class.  Or pay to take the class you need to be an Armed Guard to give yourself an extra on the application.  

PM me if you have any Questions about anything.  I'll do my best to give you honest answers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#8]
What do you want to do eventually? Some sort of security management job?

If so, find out what security companies near you are looking for when they post those jobs and do what you can to get those creds. That may involve working shifts at a post or in an armored car, or it may not. You may be better off getting your PMP certification or something else. If you need a job right now and would like it to contribute toward some career goals you have in mind, at least the job you're talking about is a start.

ETA: as CplDLB said above, find out what your state requires as far as some kind of guard card, commission card, etc. before you get your CHL with the thought that it gets you closer to your goal. Here in Texas, the two are entirely separate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I was the chief firearms instructor in Colorado for one of the big armored car companies until a couple years ago.  If you get on with most any one of the companies, they will provide your firearms instruction during your initial training period.

The firearms training well exceeded the minimum requirements in Colorado for a CCW permit.  The training you may receive in Nebraska may or may not suffice for a CCW permit in that state.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've been working for a Armored Truck company for eight years now and manage a branch here in Ohio.  I've done just about every job from Driver?Guard to Manager.  A CCW most likely isn't the permit you will need to carry for work.  I know for a fact it isn't in Ohio.  We pay for new hires to go through the State training to get their gun cards.  That training class can then be used to get your CCW so you can kill two birds with one shot and not have to pay to take a CCW class.  Or pay to take the class you need to be an Armed Guard to give yourself an extra on the application.  

PM me if you have any Questions about anything.  I'll do my best to give you honest answers.

In PA it is the Act 235 card. Basically it is a license to work as an armed guard. There is a class - a week long IIRC with a written exam at the end and firearms training during the week.Your state will most likely have something similar.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Two of those guys were on their game the other day in Chicago when they were held up. Both guards opened up on them and both perps DRT. Glad it worked out that way as many times its the other way around.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
^^ Damn, good for them.

Thank you all for the responses, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you seen the movie HEAT
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Have you seen the movie HEAT

I had to get it on.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#15]
even out in CA they only make like 10 bucks an hour.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I figure our how they get anyone to take these jobs, the pay is so low that there is no way I would take a chance of getting shot for that pay.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Tagged for info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top