Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 2:43:43 PM EDT
Not referring to shoeing horses here. My son got me a forge for Christmas. There is a LOT to learn. I've been doing cabinetwork for 30 years (built all the furniture in my house) but this is a whole different deal. Any basic books you could recommend? My first project is a freestanding coat/hat rack w/ iron feet and  hooks w/ a cherry post.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did he get the forge?

I happen to have a forge, but I don't think it works. My dad and his dad used to use it. I come from a long line of blacksmiths, but alas I'm the first lame ass who doesn't know how to do it . . .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have read that using ball bearing material, you can make a knife that has better qualities than any mass produced knife. I have witnessed it, very hard to work the material.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
He had another blacksmith build it . Runs on regular propane tanks  and has a door on each end where you feed the stock thru it. I already had an anvil(came from our family farm). We mounted that on a walnut stump. Other than that you need hammers and tongs and a bucket of water.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.lindsaybks.com/ is a good place to start... I think woodcraft supply migth also have a book or two about it. Ill try to find my other links...standby
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont have a any good books but the basics are as such:

1) Learn what color the metal needs to be for what you intend to do.  There is such a thing as TOO hot

2)  Get some barstock and practice.  Can you make a knife blade?  Start doing the basic shapes (we're not talking something you plan on using here).  My first project to "get the feel for it" was a spear head.

3)  The next step (and I argue, the hardest to pick up) is forging two pieces of metal together.  Adding that hook to the main pole of a coat rack, for example, is much harder than merely beating the hook alone into shape.

Once you get past the basics is when you really need help... be it a tutor or specialized books.

Don't forget proper ventilation, good gloves, apron, etc.  Don't skimp on equipment!  

-  BG

(I am in no way a professional blacksmith.  It was merely a hobby for a few years.)

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Buddy of mine built one, and using rebar used to make crude stuff

Pretty cool. Those guys who make swords and stuff are freakin' amazing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
BUCC guy - The coat hooks will be fastened to the cherry posts w/ brass wood screws. RAGNAROC - BALLBEARINGS  for knife blades??? He must be making little tiny pocketknives............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top