Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/28/2005 7:21:20 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy something from a private individual over the internet, and am wondering if there is any form of payment that will prevent me from getting scammed. I have no reason to believe I will be, but I'd still like to cover my ass. Is there a form of payment that I can send (via internet or mail) that I can cancel later if it does not turn out right?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:38:05 PM EDT
anyone?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:53:10 PM EDT
How did you arrange for the sale?

You may want to go through eBay or the like.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:56:53 PM EDT
Postal Money Order. at least then if he scams you its postal fraud. and the feds take that very serious.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:58:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:58:48 PM EDT
Try one of the escrow services, they hold your money until you have the items, and then forward payment to the other party for a fee of course. Sorry don't have a link for any particular service.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:02:39 PM EDT
the only sure way of not getting scammed by a individual, is don't buy from individuals.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:10:03 PM EDT
A couple of questions to ask yourself:

#1--Is the deal too good to be true? Then it probably is...

#2--What kind of verification of the individual/item do I have? Feedback on Ebay is one thing. Pictures (NOT stock photos) of the item. Even here on ARF.com.--does the seller have several posts, or are they newly registered?

#3--How did the individual seem when you asked questions about the item--I like (even if I am 4 states away) to ask if I can stop by and see it..if the seller gets a bit cagey about that, then the warning flag goes up.

#4--And, finally, can you stand to lose the money? If it does go south, are you spending your Kids college tuition on something you hope to re-sell for a profit?

Paypal (regardless of the bad reputation it gets) is marginally safe--at least you can find out if the person is verified. Postal MO's MAY help--however, do your really think the Postal Inspectors are going to investigate every $50 transaction? And, finally, I do an Internet Search (white pages) on the address the guy gives--now, that is NOT definitive but might help. I have done it on myself when I moved, and it showed the tenants 2 guys before me. Escrow services may help, but the seller may not be willing to wait for his money.

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:12:50 PM EDT
Top Top