Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 7:21:20 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy something from a private individual over the internet, and am wondering if there is any form of payment that will prevent me from getting scammed. I have no reason to believe I will be, but I'd still like to cover my ass. Is there a form of payment that I can send (via internet or mail) that I can cancel later if it does not turn out right?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
How did you arrange for the sale?

You may want to go through eBay or the like.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Postal Money Order.  at least then if he scams you its postal fraud.  and the feds take that very serious.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Try one of the escrow services, they hold your money until you have the items, and then forward payment to the other party for a fee of course.  Sorry don't have a link for any particular service.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
the only sure way of not getting scammed by a individual, is don't buy from individuals.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
A couple of questions to ask yourself:

#1--Is the deal too good to be true?  Then it probably is...

#2--What kind of verification of the individual/item do I have?  Feedback on Ebay is one thing.  Pictures (NOT stock photos) of the item.  Even here on ARF.com.--does the seller have several posts, or are they newly registered?

#3--How did the individual seem when you asked questions about the item--I like (even if I am 4 states away) to ask if I can stop by and see it..if the seller gets a bit cagey about that, then the warning flag goes up.  

#4--And, finally, can you stand to lose the money?  If it does go south, are you spending your Kids college tuition on something you hope to re-sell for a profit?  

Paypal (regardless of the bad reputation it gets) is marginally safe--at least you can find out if the person is verified.  Postal MO's MAY help--however, do your really think the Postal Inspectors are going to investigate every $50 transaction?   And, finally, I do an Internet Search (white pages) on the address the guy gives--now, that is NOT definitive but might help.  I have done it on myself when I moved, and it showed the tenants 2 guys before me.  Escrow services may help, but the seller may not be willing to wait for his money.

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top