Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/15/2006 11:15:42 AM EDT
I'm planning on taking my family of 4 to DW in July.

Any tips for me, or advice about where I can get the cheapest hotel rate? I plan on staying at DW itself because of logistics.

Thanks!!!

Balming
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:23:01 AM EDT
Go to the Disney website and sign up for their email updates and special promo info they may have. Request a trip planning brochure. I did this last year and sometime during the year they sent me info on special promo rates. I got a special rate at Disney's port orleans resort for $79 per night which was about $100 off per night.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:27:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:35:53 AM EDT
Be sure and check for GHEY DAY (read: homosexual day) and check their schedule .

It may even be on TRG's homepage.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:40:40 AM EDT
Great advice so far guys!

Balming
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:48:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mcgrubbs:
Remember, it will rain everyday around 2-3pm. Plan on it.

I have been there once, 2 years ago, and I doubt you could get me to go back

Let me guess.

August?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:49:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Balming:

Any tips for me, or advice about where I can get the cheapest hotel rate? I plan on staying at DW itself because of logistics.

Thanks!!!

Balming

Yeah. CCW while you're there. That's my advice. Because you can.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:50:21 AM EDT
Good dad!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:53:33 AM EDT
Be prepared to stand in loooooooooong lines
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:01:28 PM EDT
Went there last year in July...hot, humid, and lots of lines. We planned 5 days, but was ready to leave after 3.

Get a room AWAY from the pool. It was busy late into the night. We also stayed on the grounds.

We may look into their higher end resorts, and they have a pretty decent vacation club that you can use around the world.

We'll go back next year, but during the spring or fall.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:01:33 PM EDT
But The Unofficial Guide. by Sehlinger.

Veyr helpful, but also very popular, so consider their advice, but remember lots of other people are doing the same thing.

And have fun - that's why you're going.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:50:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Brisk322:
But The Unofficial Guide. by Sehlinger.

Veyr helpful, but also very popular, so consider their advice, but remember lots of other people are doing the same thing.

And have fun - that's why you're going.

+1.

Also go to mousesavers.com and sign up for their monthly free e-newsletter. And watch the disboards.com, they are like the ar15.com of Disneyworld. Let me know if you have other WDW questions but buy the Unofficial Guide right now and start looking through mousesavers.com.

I got an advertized deal at WDW last Sept. 6 days/5 nights at Coronado Springs, park tickets, free meals, for about $1300.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:03:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By quijanos:
Be sure and check for GHEY DAY (read: homosexual day) and check their schedule .

It may even be on TRG's homepage.

+1 Be advised that the GHEYs are there every day. Watch out for the public restrooms. (Don't ask-just take my word for it).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:08:11 PM EDT
Went in '98...stayed in Econo Lodge in Kissimmee(sp?) but you might find better at the same rate YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:22:07 PM EDT

Thanks!!!

Balming

My wife and I used a Southwest Airlines vacation package for our honeymoon trip to Disney World. It was a good price, and we were 100% happy with our service and accomodations. There were a lot of hotels to choose from, and we picked one that wasn't ON Disney property, but which was on the bus/tram route in to Disney World. It was a really quick ride in.

The package we picked included tickets to Kennedy Space Center, but we ended up spending all of our vacation at Disney (and at the Hotel ).

I would definitely (and will definitely) use Southwest Vacations again in the future.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:28:32 PM EDT
We went last June and stayed at the All Star Sports. We love Disney regardless of the lines or humidity. It was all about seeing my 3 year olds face everywhere we went anyways...
We stayed at a mid-level resort the first time on the grounds and I would prefer to do that next time. You don't spend much time in the room, but after a long day, the long(er) trip to the All Star resorts seems to take forever.
When you stay at the entry level resorts, for some reason, people act a little more rowdy and annoying...
I'll go back any time!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:11:49 PM EDT
are you current or retired .mil? active and reserve military or certain qualified civ contractors can stay at Shades of Green, its one of the nicest places on the property and its under $100 a night.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:16:09 PM EDT
I just went last month. It was a great time! There is supposed to be a special deal going right now for a family of 4. It's like 1,500 or 1,600 for (I think...) a five day stay and park hopper passes. Might be something to check out. Park hopper is great if you are on an extended vacation and you have the time. Staying in the disney resorts REALLY add to the experience. My .02.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:30:49 PM EDT

Check ebay for tickets, you can get some good deals there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:33:07 PM EDT
Slightly off-topic, but ...

If you have time, and the kids are old enough - see if you have time for a trip out to the Kennedy Space Center. It's just a straight drive out the Bee-line (or whatever that road out to the Cape is called), and it's very cool !!!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:43:26 PM EDT
Took the family last year and we had the best family vacation ever! The weather was great, everyone got along, and it didn't rain till the last day.

Tips: Plan to do something else other than Disney every other day. This will keep you fresh, and provide enough variety that the park doesn't become like work (and believe me, walking that park for 12 hours ain't easy). For example, one day we took a helicopter ride and did go-karts, and of course went to the pool. Then hit DW the next day, and hit it hard.

The water parks are awesome, and well worth a whole day.

Last to the end of the day, so you can catch the fireworks. It's a long day, but well worth it (and not just for the kids).

Take bottles of water in a backpack. Plan your meals so you don't end up impulse buying when you're all hungry. Ex-pen-sive! That said, we did plan one nice meal at one of the park restaurants, just so we could really enjoy it.

Do the "Speed Pass" for all the rides. This will speed up your wait time, doesn't cost anything, and m akes the day so much more enjoyable.

Hope you have a ball!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:55:45 AM EDT
My wife was doubtful when I told her I was going to post this question here!

Thanks all!

Balming
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:09:32 AM EDT
Disney is running a special right now - umpteen days and nights for four, $1500.

I haven't taken my kids to feed the mouse.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:03:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:09:06 PM EDT
It's too bad that they had to remove 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea...........that was a cool ride when I was a kid, and someone said they removed the Alien Encounter ride.............that was pretty fun as well
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:13:42 PM EDT
We went to Disneyworld.com and got a package for two adults and one child for 10 days for $2200.00 that includes any of the parks (park hopper), one meal a day per person at any of the 125 restaurants, one lunch per day per person at and walk up restaurant, one snack per person per day. You can also break up the trip and it never expires. Use 3 days this month 3 days next year and 4 days whenever. One of the parks opens and hour early and stays 3 hours late for those staying in WDW resorts. This is a very good package.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:15:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mcgrubbs:
Remember, it will rain everyday around 2-3pm. Plan on it.

I have been there once, 2 years ago, and I doubt you could get me to go back

Only in the Summer!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:17:34 PM EDT
+1 to staying on property. We stayed 8 days at Coranado Springs, it was nice. Get the park hopper pass. We also did the Disney dining plan, seemed like a good deal. Comfy shoes, and a Camelback.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:17:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Slightly off-topic, but ...

If you have time, and the kids are old enough - see if you have time for a trip out to the Kennedy Space Center. It's just a straight drive out the Bee-line (or whatever that road out to the Cape is called), and it's very cool !!!

Big +1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:19:44 PM EDT
We went last year in July. NEVER again. The lines were ridiculous and the heat/humidity was unbearable. I will only go in non-summer months from here on out. I cannot even begin to explain how fucking hot it was. I have never been that chaffed before in my life.

Did I mention that it was really hot?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:31:06 PM EDT
Tag because I got more kids than money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:34:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chainshaw:
We went last year in July. NEVER again. The lines were ridiculous and the heat/humidity was unbearable. I will only go in non-summer months from here on out. I cannot even begin to explain how fucking hot it was. I have never been that chaffed before in my life.

uhh aint you like fropm georgia? gets kinda warm there too!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:36:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cyclone:
It's too bad that they had to remove 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea...........that was a cool ride when I was a kid, and someone said they removed the Alien Encounter ride.............that was pretty fun as well

Ah but they use part of the 20,000 Leagues grotto area for meeting Ariel the mermaid. She is well worth meeting, if you know what I mean.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:51:45 PM EDT

I'm from Maryland but have never been that uncomfortable there even on Labor Day weekend. I could see going in August. The first trick is to tour early in the morning then take a break mid-day for lunch, a nap, swim, shower, etc. back at the hotel. The second trick is to bring along plenty of cold water and drink it, wear a hat, and comfortable clothes and shoes. I got specially-made Dutch Ecco walking shoes which were great, it was my first trip where my feet weren't sore or tired and I got no blisters this trip, and I was pushing a stoller. My best shirt was one of those LL Bean synthetic jungle shirts, it was amazing in the heat and humidity. I brought along 2-3 shirts per day, plus extra underwear and socks since all get soaked with sweat or rain.

My last trip was in late September and my last day there I did get the dreaded chaffing from the power march I did (essentially 3 parks in 7 hours). It could have been easily prevented with some baby powder, but now I understand why our troops in Vietnam discarded their underwear and cut out the crotches of their boonies.

Other tips for Balming: check out the three big outlet malls for better prices on souveniers. Two of the outlet malls are near WDW and the third is on the north end of International Drive. Stay in a cheaper off-site hotel on either end of your stay. I think I paid $55 a night for a great Fairfield Inn/Suites room just off the property. It was a very comfortable, clean room with a fridge and free WiFi (I have to check ar15.com even when I am on vacation). There are loads of coupons and coupon books down there for discounted hotels and meals. I had a decent all-you-can-eat lobster dinner in Orlando near the Florida Mall for about $25 including a drink with a coupon.

I would recommend driving or renting a car down there. The buses are pretty efficient for getting into the Magic Kingdom and maybe Animal Kingdom but for EPCOT and Studios and Downtown Disney and all the other miscellaneous attractions the car is better.

The Unofficial Guide people now maintain a web site (touringplans.com?????) which is partly free and party pay. For $8 a year you can subscribe there and they will give you the optimal touring plan for that day including what stuff to ride first. I took their plans along but deviated from them for a couple of days and I was so sorry I did. They are in the parks every day measuring crowds and ride congestion. For example you don't want to hit Animal Kingdom on an early entry day. It is too crowded and only a couple of rides are open early. This might change with the new Everest ride opening in a month or so.

And watch out for all the fat losers on the rascals!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:53:14 PM EDT
All Star Resort or Pop Century Resort are the least expensive places to stay and they have nice pools and are good for kids. That's where we always stay. Actually all hotels at Disney are good for kids. If you have small kids I'd recommend All Star Movies (that's the name of the hotel) because they have huge Toy Story characters all around. Also, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Fort Wilderness Lodge are cool, but more expensive. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Just go online and check'em all out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:34:16 AM EDT
You guys are great!

So far I have gathered more useful info here than anywhere else.

GunloverPHD, you had some good advice, especially the $8/year dayplanner thing. I'll look into it.

Balming
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:51:36 AM EDT
I went a couple of years ago, and one of the days there happened to be "gay day" or whatever they call it. We saw nothing out of the ordinary. Don't worry about it. It's not like there aren't billions of regular folks there too. And even if there are a few groups of gays, they didn't have signs or parades or assless chaps or anything.

Don't go to Animal Kingdom in hot weather. There's almost nothing indoors, and I swear they must have giant space heaters all over the park making it even hotter. It was hotter and more miserable there than any other park. We only lasted a few hours before we had to leave, and we were drinking tons of water.

Use speedpass. It's a huge timesaver. I just wish you could use it for more than one thing at a time.

Take a wide-brimmed hat, sunblock, and comfortable shoes! Wear light-colored clothes. Take water bottles. Take washcloths. You can soak a washcloth in cool water and string it across the back of your neck. Feels great in the heat.

Or just go in December. Still take sunblock though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:54:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cleatus:

uhh aint you like fropm georgia? gets kinda warm there too!!!

I'm from Georgia too. It still doesn't prepare you. You're going to be spending a lot of time outdoors in direct sunlight. Unless you work outdoors, you won't be used to it, even if you live in a hot state. I live in Georgia, but I also have air-conditioning.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:02:31 AM EDT
You absolutely MUST go on the Mars (Space Odessy?) ride (puts you in a centrifuge and simulates all aspects of a space flight) and the Automotive Test Track in Epcot. Two VERY cool rides.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 12:04:23 PM EDT by GunLvrPHD]

Originally Posted By g3_ultra:
All Star Resort or Pop Century Resort are the least expensive places to stay and they have nice pools and are good for kids. That's where we always stay. Actually all hotels at Disney are good for kids. If you have small kids I'd recommend All Star Movies (that's the name of the hotel) because they have huge Toy Story characters all around. Also, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Fort Wilderness Lodge are cool, but more expensive. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Just go online and check'em all out.

I have not stayed at those yet and if I can afford to stay at the moderate resorts I will. I like their themeing better and they seem to have more pools, more amenities and more staff. They also seem to be quieter.

I have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and it is very pretty and fairly convenient to Magic Kingdom (though I have read they stopped running the direct ferryboat, which was a great way to get to Magic Kingdom). Wilderness Lodge was noisier than I would have liked and the room seemed small (two queen sized beds stuffed in there made it cramped--I think they have bunk bed rooms which would be preferable--one queen bed, one bunk bed for 2 kids). I found the pool and slide at Coronado Springs better than the one at Wilderness Lodge.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge looks terrific. We ate a great meal there at BOMA (and met the wonderful chef) and we will stay there, probably on our next trip.

If you have the money I think the high-end hotels like the Polynesian or Beach Club are probably worth it.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:07:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kharn:
You absolutely MUST go on the Mars (Space Odessy?) ride (puts you in a centrifuge and simulates all aspects of a space flight) and the Automotive Test Track in Epcot. Two VERY cool rides.

Kharn

My opinion is that the best ride in EPCOT is Soarin' at the Land Pavillion. Very long wait unless you have a FastPass but it's a great ride. It's the only ride I can recall where the audience clapped at the end of it.

Mission Space gave me major motion sickness, I had to eat a big cinnimon roll and a hot fudge sundae at Main Street USA to calm my stomache afterwards.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:10:21 PM EDT
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's been a few years but the last time I took the kids a 20oz coke was $3.00.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:13:50 PM EDT
We atayed in the park 5 years ago at the Disney All Star resort (I think) it has a "film" section, "Music" section "sports" section....98.00 a nite and a pool. 2 double beds, good sized room and right in the park (best way to go). Short walk to the rail!

Have fun and visit "It's a small world" LAST or that damn song will be in your head the entire day.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:16:25 PM EDT
I just got back from there after 2 weeks. Been there several times (summer, spring, fall, and twice in January).

By FAR the best time to go is the 2nd week in January. Temps are good, lines are short to non-existant, yet it's close enough to Christmas that they are running the night shows every night (if you go later in the month or other 'off season' times each park might run it's nightly fireworks only once or twice a week - so plan carefully).

I'd NEVER go back in summer again. Lines are way to long and it's way to hot & humid. Also holiday weeks seem to have extra people (I've been there for Thanksgiving and New Years - never again). Spring break has longer lines than early January, but not as bad as say Thanksgiving or Summer.

Do check Disney.com for some deals. Also check with some some of the local resorts - you can get some good deals from them - if you're willing to go through and hour or two of a sales pitch. We bought 7 day tickets, IIRC the difference between a 7 day ticket and a 6 day ticket was $2.00 it was a no-brainer as the tickets are good forever.

Sea World Orlando was a good deal. We bought tickets online and when we got there we were given free passes. We could go every day for 6 days FOR FREE after paying for that first day (we only did a 2nd day to see everything we missed the first day). Oh if you are Military they were giving free passes to Sea World, and IIRC Disney has some deals for active and retired military (including accomodations - my parents stayed near disney for a week in a 2 bedroom condo for $275).

The Space Center is really good, but it's gotten expensive. We didn't even bother this trip.

Check out Gatorland, it's about 15-20 mintues from Orland and a fun low-tech way to spend half a day, the shows are fun & corney - and the kids love to go into the cage and feed the tropical birds (cups of sugar-water).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:19:51 PM EDT

You guys are great!

So far I have gathered more useful info here than anywhere else.

GunloverPHD, you had some good advice, especially the $8/year dayplanner thing. I'll look into it.

Balming

You're welcome. Check out those web sites I sent you, the Unofficial Guide, and also this web site which is also full of information (even resort maps and all the restaurant menues and prices at WDW):

www.allearsnet.com

Let me know if you have more questions. I used to plan out every hour of every day of my trips and that worked great. Last one I wasn't so careful and we ended up with more lines and crowds than we should have encountered, and missed a couple of meals we might have enjoyed.

Also remember you have to make reservations for meals between 90 and 120 days in advance (depending upon the place you want to eat). Read up on this since many of the popular places and character meals fill up the first day the reservations for them are open (I have had to call at about 7am when dining reservations at the 90 day mark for my last two trips). It is worth it to make those reservations in advance. You would not believe how many pissed off people there are who didn't make reservations but want to have a meal at either a nice place or a character meal with Cinderella or Pooh Bear but they were booked up (overbooked actually) 90 days in advance.

If you can search the archives there were other discussions of WDW in the past, here is one of them:

http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=315725

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:29:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
You would not believe how many pissed off people there are who didn't make reservations but want to have a meal at either a nice place or a character meal with Cinderella or Pooh Bear but they were booked up (overbooked actually) 90 days in advance.

+1 on this great advice. BTW if you have a little girl the princess breakfast at EPCOT (in the Norwegian Castle) is great. Good food and your daughter will get to meet 5 of the princesses. Make sure she dresses up as a princess (you seem to get more attention and the photos turn out better).

Oh if you want to eat lunch or dinner at Magic Kingdom I really recommend Tony's?? (it just inside the main gate on the right hand side as you look at the Castle - it's a copy of the restraunt from "Lady and the Tramp"). Good food, at reasonable prices (especially for being in a Disney park). I recommend a Reservation around 2:30 (just before they close) out on the porch so you can see the parade as you eat. We ate there the last two times were at Disney and have never been disapointed in the food.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:59:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:51:06 AM EDT
Thanks VA-gunnut.

I appreciate all of the advice given to me on arfcom!

balming
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:59:56 AM EDT
Top Top