Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2002 11:18:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Need some more info...

[b]A)[/b] Ski lengths in cm's ([i]tip to tail[/i])
[b]B)[/b] Ski widths in cm's (under foot and widest point of ski[/i])
[b]C)[/b] Type of bindings ([i]30mm, 75mm, Salomon plate..?[/i])
[b]D)[/b] Base type ([i]waxable or waxless[/i])
[b]E)[/b] Manufacturering materials ([i]wood, foam, composite[/i])

I am a very avid XC-Skiier, and used to do a lot of marathon racing...  If you email me a good set of pics, I can help you out!

I typically paid anywhere from $250-$400 per set of skiis, and then the boot/binding systems were extra, and these were only for mid-range racing & touring skiis.  I currently own 4 pair of XC and 1 pair of downhill.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I was kinda hoping we were talking about downhill skiing.

[:(]

My favorite activity of all time.  I hate to admit it, but it is even better than shooting!

Hey Anti-

Where do you downhill ski?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Torf: I don't downhill anymore, since I moved to Illinois, but have skiied the hills at Chesnut Mountain, in Galena. Nice for midwest!

Garand_Shooter: If the base is smooth, they are waxable skiis... if they have a rough textured pattern, they are waxless.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, those look like downhill skis to me. Especially seeing as they are "210." Could they be telemark skis?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
from your pix, they are obviously foam core, and look to be waxable.

Can you describe the bindings, and what about the potential availability of boots..?

[*] For the right price, I may be interested in a pair..  Maybe trade for a couple of mags..?[/*]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Man, those look like downhill skis to me. Especially seeing as they are "210." Could they be telemark skis?
View Quote

Thats what I'm thinking.

I skiied Chestnut Mtn. a few years ago.  It was pretty fun, but nothing like Colorado!
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Those look like Tele-ski, since it looks like thay have metal edges.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I am reading that these are military and function as both Nordic (cross-country) and Alpine (downhill) skis. They are pretty wide for Nordic skiing, and they do not have the characteristic, severely upswept tip of a true Nordic ski. The moderately upswept tip, width, and the metal edges are characteristic of downhill skis. I think that these are most similar to telemark skis, where one descends downhill, but with a cross-country like style ("free heeling") sometimes dragging one ski behind for stability and braking. I believe this idea is reinforced by the stipulation for boots without a flexible sole. Telemarkers wear mountain climbing expedition-style stiff high-top leather boots, whereas Alpine skiers wear hard, mid-calf plastic boots that nearly immobilize the foot, and cross-country skiers wear something like soft high-top sneakers with an inflexible sole. It seems like you'll need some special-issue military Alpine hiking boot with holes drilled in the toe to use those bindings, but I could be wrong. I believe that these will descend the mountain in a "free heeling" way well, but "fixed heel" control downhill is not a strong suit, and neither is cross-country travel. I think these are "general purpose," and may be more valuable to a survivalist than a recreational skier.
Does anyone else get this impression too? Correct me if I a wrong anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Know anyone from the 10th Mountain Division ?

Those guys would have the info cold !

After being an instructor 30 years ago , I really can't say what those skis are worth in todays market .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top