Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 8:26:13 AM EDT
I'm ready to get back into the dating world, & so I want to get in shape.

I haven't ran in years & I am overweight. I just went to Acadamy & bought some decent running shoes & sweats.

I live in a medium sized city so I will be looking for some parks to run in.

I was into long distance running about 14 yrs ago, I even ran a couple of marathons, but I had a really sore knee after my last one & I stopped altogeather after that.

Any advice on how to get started again safely will be appreciated.

Thanks, Searcher out
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are indeed overweight, going and getting a physical would be a good start.  I currenty run approx 25mi a week weather permitting.  My knees used to act up, but have quit after I got the muscles around them stregnthed up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Start with short distances and run slooowly.     And if it has been a really long time since your last run, you may want to start off speed walking.  If your knee hurts after you run a few times, consult a real shoe store that have salespeople that can guide you on exactly what type of support shoe you need.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I would only run if someone like Rosie O'Donnel was chasing me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to get your gait analyzed at a good running shoe place.  They will have you run on a treadmill while a camera films your feet/legs.  You might have pronation, supination or some other body geometry issue contributing to your knee pain.  Certain shoes with different support could help.

Also, you might have ITBS (inter-tibial band syndrome) and some stretching could go a long way.

You might want to build up your leg strength to help support the joint with some bike riding or inline skating in addition to the running.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not me,...I'd sprint!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not me,...I'd sprint!!!!!

Yeah, in all honesty though, I have to do an activity such as playing basketball, softball, etc. to stay in shape.  I hate running.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I run only because I'm forced to(Army). But you want to take it easy for a while to build up the muscles around the knees like Wildland previously stated.

Heel-toe, heel-toe with some good shoes and you should be OK depending on how overweight you are.

I find that short sprints(150 m) mixed with a slow pace for a few miles every other day really helped my run time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You might want to get your gait analyzed at a good running shoe place.  They will have you run on a treadmill while a camera films your feet/legs.  You might have pronation, supination or some other body geometry issue contributing to your knee pain.  Certain shoes with different support could help.

Also, you might have ITBS (inter-tibial band syndrome) and some stretching could go a long way.

You might want to build up your leg strength to help support the joint with some bike riding or inline skating in addition to the running.

I am a supinator. I always wear out the outside of my shoes, & used to use shoe Gue to fix them way back when.

I also had Rollerblades & a 1500 dollar Trek Carbon Fiber bike when I stopped exercising. It was 15 yrs ago or so, & I really can't even remember why I just stopped. I think I had a case of post goal let down syndrom.

Now I will really have to work to get back to were I once was, if that's even possible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#9]

I can't help you with the science of running, but I'll say that the thing that helps me the most while running is to THINK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE.  Anything I can do to keep my mind off of the actual run keeps my breathing and heart rate manageable.  Your body is considerably more capable than your mind is, in most cases.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm ready to get back into the dating world, & so I want to get in shape.

I haven't ran in years & I am overweight. I just went to Acadamy & bought some decent running shoes & sweats.

I live in a medium sized city so I will be looking for some parks to run in.

I was into long distance running about 14 yrs ago, I even ran a couple of marathons, but I had a really sore knee after my last one & I stopped altogeather after that.

Any advice on how to get started again safely will be appreciated.

Thanks, Searcher out

Start with a mileage goal. Break up the path or laps in sections where you jog part of it, walk, jog, and walk. Slowly, decrease the distance that you walk and increase the distance that you run.
When you get to the point of joggng the entire distance, increase the distance. Also, start timing yourself and work on time-based goals, e.g. running a mile in 8 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't help you with the science of running, but I'll say that the thing that helps me the most while running is to THINK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE.  Anything I can do to keep my mind off of the actual run keeps my breathing and heart rate manageable.  Your body is considerably more capable than your mind is, in most cases.

I totally agree with this. For a long time I would get way too tired because I was thinking about the running too much. I had to learn to put my mind in a neutral state. Sometimes I just listen and concentrate on my breathing. Sometimes I run with a small radio and listen to music. I've also found that very mellow, relaxing music works best. I love hard rock and metal music, but it just wears you out when running. I save that type of music for a different time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I totally agree with this. For a long time I would get way too tired because I was thinking about the running too much. I had to learn to put my mind in a neutral state. Sometimes I just listen and concentrate on my breathing. Sometimes I run with a small radio and listen to music. I've also found that very mellow, relaxing music works best. I love hard rock and metal music, but it just wears you out when running. I save that type of music for a different time.

Like Ultra-runner Dean Karnazes says:  You run the first 100 miles with your body and the second 100 miles with your mind.
It is very mental.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to do running, now I'm into swimming.  I like it better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I try run two days a week for a 2-3 miles on average.  I do it mostly so I don't feel lazy, however it also compliments my lifting nicely.  It would be nice to have a partner in order to keep the motivation up with the running though.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#16]
If your knees are still questionable you can save the pounding for them and get some type of elyptical or similar exercise machine... alot of times they can be found cheap in the classifieds because people buy them and don't use them.   This will give you exercise in your legs without subjecting them to bouncing your wieght on them.

Another thing, like a preivious poster said, its mostly mental thing if you do run.   I love listening to music, but I do listen to heavy metal while running; it helps get me pumped and keeps me going.   (I attribute my getting through the police academy run to Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying)

Anyway, everybody is different, you have to find what works for you! Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to listen to a tape of USMC cadence when I ran. For some reason that seemed to motivate me.

Left,left, your left right left, Yo lo rite your layo. your lefty right your layo.  Lo righty layo, I love to dbl time.   Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Agreed.  Get a mp3 player ... music helps keep your mind off the running.  Nothing like staring at the digital readout on a treadmill for the duration of your workout ... you'll dread every minute of it.  If you can listen to some tunes while running, it will make things a lot easier.

Second on the "get a partner" recommendation.  This will motivate you to run because on those days where you are thinking to yourself "hell, I don't wanna run today" you will be more likely to go, because your buddy is waiting for you.  

Getting an analysis at a good shoe/running store is key if you're a beginner or have a special body type.  Poor fitting shoes will result in pain, blisters or worse.  If you're an under or over- pronator, they have shoes to take care of you.  And if you're heavier than the average Joe, they make shoes which provide better cushioning too.  Running is hell on the joints so don't take this lightly!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
IPOD Nano.
Gotta have the tunes.
Start slowly, can't emphasize enough.  
Join a running club or get a running buddy.   Knowing someone will give you shit if you don't show can motivate you (also a good place to pick up chicks. your speed will put you with the girlies and the IPOD will allow them to talk (score!) while you really listen to the music.  Just nod your head occasionaly.)

Yep, sounds like excellent advice!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:56:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I went out yesterday & ran /walked for almost 2 hrs!

I went to a park a few miles from my house I had never been too. It'55o acres, & has a bunch of trail that intersect & loop all over the place. They only had a map at the place I started so by the time I figured out where I was, I was as far away from my SUV as I could get in the park.

Later when I picked my son up from school we went & played basket ball, & base ball for a while in the park by our house.

I'm hurting this morning, & will probably not excersize for a couple of days from now.

It feels good to get started again, even though I got a long row to hoe. My mom hopes I will get to where I can do another marathon, but I have no desire to do that again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Your first day always hurts!  Thats why your suppose to take it easy at first!  So now rest for a couple days, and then go back at it again.  Also consider lifting some weights.  If you start running and lifting weights regularly, you could be a whole different person in 2-3 months.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#23]

...weather permitting.

I've run in high heat, high humidity, blizzards, and 40 below with a 70 below wind chill, & I ain't no kid.  That "weather permitting" stuff is for old ladies & pussies, or you're just looking for a day off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#24]
If I can add;

I've been running for about 4yrs now(I'm 35), and the thing that keeps me going is finding a time that will always work.   I used to try running before I went to work in the morning.   I always found some reason to not go; too tired, too cold, too....you get the picture.   I found that running in the evening fit my schedule and attitude best.   If it's raining, I run, snowing; run, below 0....fuck that shit, I ain't crazy!   Yesterday, I rode my bike and it started raining, and 34 degrees...poor visibility...had my lights on.....not too much fun, but I didn't turn around until I had hit my goal for halfway.   The time of day made all the difference in my attitude.  Think about that if you have trouble staying with the program.

Another thing, my back started to hurt pretty good, so I added a bike ride to break up the run.  I absolutely love the bike, even though it takes about twice as long of time period to get the same(feeling) of work out.  

I intermix the two during the week, and it makes my exercising much more fun, and I look forward to doing both.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#25]
The Runner's Handbook

I've bought that book for a few people, and they've all liked it a lot.  Good motivational book with coveragte of pretty much every topic related to running.  It will definitely get you to the point where you could run some 5k's that you'd be proud of.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

...weather permitting.

I've run in high heat, high humidity, blizzards, and 40 below with a 70 below wind chill, & I ain't no kid.  That "weather permitting" stuff is for old ladies & pussies, or you're just looking for a day off.

I did the same when prepairing for my 1st marathon. I remember coming home with ice clumps on my eyelashes that prevented me from closing my eyes completely, & running in extremly hot humid weather that was beyond good sense.

Maybe someday I will be like that again, but I'm not going to rush it. For now I just want to get past the pain/distance limitations I have.

That & losing about 40 more pounds will feel really good. I have done this in the past & there is a real sense of accomplishment to losing weigt, & getting into excellent condition, far beyond what any kind of an operation or punishing diet can ever do for a persons psychi.

I guess it's being in charge of your own dystiny without having to rely on someone else doing the work for you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#27]
My son who turned 8 last October wants to run with me. How far is right for a kid?

I don't want to cause him damadge by taking him to far, & I also know that if I don't push him enough he will never get to his potential.

So how do I know how far is far enough for my boy?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:40:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#29]
One thing no one has mentioned are shoes...  You said you bought a pair of "decent shoes".  How "decent"?    Expect to pay $120-$150, especially if you are heavy.    I have found that in  running shoes you get what you pay for.  Anything less expensive won't hold up and will cause joint stress.

Although I am not a fast runner, my kids legs just aren't long enough yet to keep up with my stride.  Bikes are the way to go for them.

Chas
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I would actually suggest walking first, especially if you are really/grossly over weight.  This will make it easier on your knees.  When you lose some of the weight, your leg muscles will be ready for the run, including your shins.  This will also keep foot trauma down damaging your toes.  I have seen people start running and their toenails fill with fluid and have to be removed - almost all of them (they did grow back).

I started walking in April of 02 and by August of that same year had lost 70 pounds (from 270 to 200).  I was also running part of the way by that time too.  Now I run 30 miles a week and have kept the weight off.  Diet has a lot to do with it too, so stuffing down the pizza while running will most likely NOT allow you to reach your goal - especially if you are in your late 30s.  As for the music, bfieldburt is spot on.

Just my .02 cents.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I would actually suggest walking first, especially if you are really/grossly over weight.  This will make it easier on your knees.  When you lose some of the weight, your leg muscles will be ready for the run, including your shins.  This will also keep foot trauma down damaging your toes. I have seen people start running and their toenails fill with fluid and have to be removed - almost all of them (they did grow back).

I started walking in April of 02 and by August of that same year had lost 70 pounds (from 270 to 200).  I was also running part of the way by that time too.  Now I run 30 miles a week and have kept the weight off.  Diet has a lot to do with it too, so stuffing down the pizza while running will most likely NOT allow you to reach your goal - especially if you are in your late 30s.  As for the music, bfieldburt is spot on.

Just my .02 cents.

I bought Sacuany running shoes. I believe I spent $60 on them, which for now should surfice. When I ran my marathons I used more expensive shoes, but I tend to spend more when I'm really into something.

I also had my toenails raise up about a quarter of in inch from long distance running back in the day. I never had them removed, I just sliced the skin under the nail & let the fluid out.

Congrats on your weight loss, are you done or still have more to lose?

Also I'm 44.5 yrs old. I wish I was in my mid 30's!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

...weather permitting.

A day off every now and then isn't bad.  I just don't care to run on the ice that we have had latley.  If I slip and ref*%k up a knee, I could be sitting in dispatch, or programming radios in camp for the season, instead of going on the mountain and having some real fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top