Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 8:28:47 PM EDT
Do you refuse to own one? If so, please identify yourselves so the dogpile can begin

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Just bought #7, can't help you
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Right there with ya, pal...

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got #4. Not sure if I count though.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been here for some of what some people may call "combat". AR for me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Not retired, waiting on tax stamp to finish #3.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see two.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not retired, waiting on tax stamp to finish #3.

I should add, not retired either. Still carrying an AR.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see two.

That isn't everything ... not by a long shot. I'm pretty equal opportunity though, as I can show you US service rifles back through to the Civil War.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Have 4, with a couple unbuilt lowers....sorry.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
When my cousin was in the Navy SEALs, they used to throw away their ARs and pick up AK-47s off the dead.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

When my cousin was in the Navy SEALs, they used to throw away their ARs and pick up AK-47s off the dead.
Go on......

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's OK because the AK47 can use M16 ammo, but not vice versa.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Go on......

They were more reliable.  And 5.56 is really just a toy.  I fear nerf more than 5.56.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go on......

They could throw the AKs in the river, and then come back the next day to get them and they would still work.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#15]
My great-uncle was in communications from probably post-Korean War until the mid-80's or so (just guessing) and has nothing good to say about the cartridge and platform. Of course, he's misinformed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I retire in 191 days, and guns are icky.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go on......

They could throw the AKs in the river, and then come back the next day to get them and they would still work.  

Don't forget how you can file the clips and it makes it fully automatic.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see two.

That isn't everything ... not by a long shot. I'm pretty equal opportunity though, as I can show you US service rifles back through to the Civil War.  

Sweet. I thought so, i was just fuckin with you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Not mil. But I'm sure there are tons of retired mil  that carried the m14 before the switch that don't like them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I think you'll get a little bit of bias here on AR15.com.

Try your luck on AK47.net for some objective opinions.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go on......

Thought it was the firing pin?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I never met a trigger puller who didn't think the M4 was the best rifle in the world or close to it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go on......

Thought it was the firing pin?

Nah, it's the barrel shroud.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go on......

I thought it was the firing pin?  Dammit, now I'll have to buy some clips, then file them.  

by the way where do you put the clips?  In the magazine or just stand them up in the action?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just chiming in with my limited knowledge from close friends...they only "threw" them away in certain and very limited situations. My only example I was given was when they needed to shoot back, once again in a very certain situation, and wanted their rifle to make the same distinct sound as the enemy. Not sure if this true or not but it's the only thing I've heard of this.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My great-uncle was in communications from probably post-Korean War until the mid-80's or so (just guessing) and has nothing good to say about the cartridge and platform. Of course, he's misinformed.

My uncle was the same way (Vietnam vet) until he shot my civ AR15.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I never met a trigger puller who didn't think the M4 was the best rifle in the world or close to it.  

Hi, 11C here! Good to meet you and I would definitely disagree with the above.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi, 11C here! Good to meet you and I would definitely disagree with the above.

Yeah? What other rifles have you shot that makes you think that?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Galil, 47's, 74's, PPSH-41's (not a rifle but cool none the less), SVT, SVD, Mosin's, SKS, M1, M14, G3 etc. Various crew served weapons.
Haven't played with the AN series rifles. Would love to though.
Just about anything available to NATO, and most of the standard WARSAW stuff that's floating around the sandbox. Spend 2.5 years over there and you get plenty of opportunity to play around.
Contractors always had the coolest stuff though. Fell in love with the MP5K. Hated having to give it back!
EDIT: Obviously MP5 also not a rifle, but so much fun none the less. Favorite toy out of both deployments.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Galil, 47's, 74's, PPSH-41's (not a rifle but cool none the less), SVT, SVD, Mosin's, SKS, M1, M14, G3 etc. Various crew served weapons.

Just about anything available to NATO, and most of the standard WARSAW stuff that's floating around the sandbox. Spend 2.5 years over there and you get plenty of opportunity to play around.

Contractors always had the coolest stuff though. Fell in love with the MP5K. Hated having to give it back!

EDIT: Obviously MP5 also not a rifle, but so much fun none the less. Favorite toy out of both deployments.

MP5 was finicky in my experience.

I worked with numerous 18 series guys. I know they don't always qualify as "experts" but they sure know more about weapons than the average 11b. They all seemed to much prefer the M4.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
That's fine, good for them. Everyone can have their opinion.
Mine is that we did not have the best rifle for the environment.
I wasn't any 18 anything, just a grunt walking patrols every day. Slogging through that piss poor excuse for a country day in and day out.
I also worked with some 18 series. Very simple stuff-nothing in depth. Even got to visit one of their compounds on a regular basis. They sure knew how to live.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I worked with numerous 18 series guys. I know they don't always qualify as "experts" but they sure know more about weapons than the average 11b. They all seemed to much prefer the M4.

Dude, EVERY gun is better than the m4 on the 15 meter fob range.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I thought it was the firing pin?  Dammit, now I'll have to buy some clips, then file them.  

by the way where do you put the clips?  In the magazine or just stand them up in the action?

Naw, it's the clips. And Tier 1 Tactical Space Shuttle Door Gunner Super Sniper Ranger SEAL Delta Recon Nightstalkers like Joe Blow the Gunshop Hoe know that everything is called a clip. And clips go in the gas tube. Or the flux capacitor if it's an AK.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess we better tell the SAS guys and the many other Special Operations guys around the world who didn't adopt their own nation's regular armed forces infantry rifle and went with Stoner's design, that they are idiots. Sigh.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess we better tell the SAS guys and the many other Special Operations guys around the world who didn't adopt their own nation's regular armed forces infantry rifle and went with Stoner's design, that they are idiots. Sigh.

Yep those guys are missing out .

I shot every gun I could get my hands on last deployment, from Tundra to OGA to NDS stockpiles. There were all fun as shit because I had never shot most (especially the auto's),but the one thing I distinctly remember was feeling how much slower just about every other system was to get a fresh magazine into the system and firing with minimal movement.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#36]
My military experience with M16's was limited to a few reserve units and basic training.  The last time I qualified was 1996.  I fired M16A1's in BCT and A2's in the reserves.  I always had issues with my rifles and it left an impression on me.  Looking back, knowing what I know now, I believe all of the issues I had were magazine and lube related.  I know my rifles were clean.

I can't say I hated the AR15, but AK's were so much cheaper back in the early 90's that they got my attention and I loved that they worked so reliably compared to my experience with M16's.  So i never really gave AR's a look.

This forum convinced me that I was missing out.  I traded for a lower last year and picked up an upper about two weeks ago.  I need sights or an optic next so I can get out and shoot it.  I have to say that I love the feel of the AR and it makes my AK's feel heavy and clunky in comparison.   I won't be selling any of the AK's, but I like what I see so far.

I won't ever bash AR's or AK's like some do on the internet.  They are both amazing rifles in their own right.

I'm glad to have now gotten both.  Time will tell if I pick a favorite.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Mine too until he got his knee blown out. Then all the records burned up in a fire!
Seriously though I worked with a guy that was a combat engineer in the Army (or so he claims). He claimed the M16 was a piece of shit but loved the M2 .50 BMG. He was supposedly in during the Gulf War and has hinted that he has "Gulf War Syndrome." I don't know what to think. When he made his claims about the M16 he swore p and down that they were made by Mattel. He got really butthurt when I told him he was wrong/mistaken and I told him if he could show me proof that Mattel ever made a real M16, I'd give him $1000. I posted about it on the board here. He never did talk about it again.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:19:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Trained with them in basic back in '71 and was not impressed.  In advanced training got to learn how to use an M-3 "grease gun", M-2 .50 cal., M-60, etc.  But what impressed me the most was the M60A1 main battle tank.  I do own a Colt AR now and it is a nice rifle.  Maybe some day I will get an M-4.  It all depends on
what kind of fighting we (freedom loving Americans) might have to do in the future.  My riot gun or TSMG would probably be my first pick if the action is urban.  In the field it would be the AR.

ModelABob
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I sold all of my AR's for Golf Clubs...

AR's belong in the trash.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I sold all of my AR's for Golf Clubs...

AR's belong in the trash.

I sold all mine for tinfoil

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:16:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Oops, my bad (reference my earlier post) I'm not retired military.  Just did 3 years and got out.  Missed my personal freedom to much.

ModelABob
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:29:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I was on the pistol range at my gun club. We met a cool older guy, who said he was retired Army, who was new to the club and just getting back into shooting.
After shooting pistols, we said we were headed over to the Rifle range to shoot Ar 15's and he was welcome to come with us.
He said, "I shot so many M-16's in the Army and got in so much crap over that gun, that I don't have interest in them."
We replied, "These are not your grand-daddies M-16's" and showed him our decked out AR's.
His eyes kind of bugged out and he said, "WOW...this isn't what they were like when I was in...."
HE came over to the rifle range with us,  shot through a mag, and asked for my number, so I could help him pick out a rifle.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Yup.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Getting ready to buy another one actually.

ETA: not retired. Served 11 years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I am Active Duty and swore I would never own one!

Now I have two and love them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top