Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/1/2003 6:32:20 AM EDT
I know I'll catch hell for posting this here, but oh well fuck it.
I've always liked A Tribe Called Quest and Black Eyed Peas, and lately that punk $.50 has been growing on me.
Can anyone recommend any "underground" rap music?  While I like SOME of what I've heard on the radio, alot of it is crap, and I'm not really into the whole Puffy/Fresh Prince thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Big fan of Tyvek House rap
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I HATE rap. To each his own though...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
RedMan, Method Man, KRS One, Digable Planets, Groove Armada, Beastie Boys, EPMD
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Ice-T in da house...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#6]

OutKast, Timbaland & Magoo, Clipse, Ludacris, Missy, and you'll never be dissapointed with 2Pac or Notorious BIG.........and you're right 50 Cent is definately worth listening to.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The Gourds - "Gin & Juice"    [;)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OutKast, Timbaland & Magoo, Clipse, Ludacris, Missy, and you'll never be dissapointed with 2Pac or Notorious BIG.........and you're right 50 Cent is definately worth listening to.
View Quote

Actually, most of these guys are exactly what I DON'T like.

Thanks for the KRS one recomendation Bend, that's a forgotten one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]
50 cent is a piece of shit, as are pretty much all other "rap artists".

Just my opinion.

You can single-handedly thank these bastards, gangs and MTV for the hatred of guns in todays world.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, most of these guys are exactly what I DON'T like.

Thanks for the KRS one recomendation Bend, that's a forgotten one.
View Quote

Oops.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I only like violent black power rap.

Check out Da Lynch Mobs "Guerillas In The Midst". It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Try some aesop rock, del the funky homosapien, digable planets, de la soul, binary star, heather b, tribe called quest is always good, people under the stairs.  Kazaa should have em all.  Try undergroundhiphop.com for samples from just about everything.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
50 cent is a piece of shit, as are pretty much all other "rap artists".

Just my opinion.

You can single-handedly thank these bastards, gangs and MTV for the hatred of guns in todays world.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing, now take your meds and back slowly away from the keyboard.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#15]
To me the word "rap" begins with a "C".

But to each his own.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice thing about living in the country is you can shoot the radio when it comes on. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Most of the commercial raido crap like Puffy and Jay-Z sucks, but I love the good stuff from down south. Outkast, 8Ball and MJG, and especially my KY boys Nappy Roots.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Nappy Roots.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't do rap....
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want underground stuff look up the names Cage, Necro, Smut Peddlers and Mr Eon.  As for old school just stick with Slick Rick and you'll be alright.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Check out Jurassic 5 & Blackalicious.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#23]
          [size=6]EMINEM![/size=6]

[peep]
Also enjoy 50 Cent
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I only like violent black power rap.

Check out Da Lynch Mobs "Guerillas In The Midst". It's good stuff.
View Quote

[rofl2]"fuck grape ape and magilla, Ima killa, magilla gorilla aint a killa, white boyz like godzilla but my supa killa named king kong, crushed they ass like ding dong"[rofl2]

I think thats how it went anyways....7th grade was a while back!

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

...I think I am the only other person on this board that understood that...[noclue]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've always liked A Tribe Called Quest and Black Eyed Peas, and lately that punk $.50 has been growing on me.
Can anyone recommend any "underground" rap music?  While I like SOME of what I've heard on the radio, alot of it is crap, and I'm not really into the whole Puffy/Fresh Prince thing.
View Quote

Have you seen "Fear of a Black Hat"?  DVD coming out in a month, it's the rap version of "This is Spinal Tap".  Pretty funny.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

...I think I am the only other person on this board that understood that...[noclue]
View Quote

Yeah, that's it, no one else knows what tyvek is..[rolleyes]
Knowing what it is, and choosing to ignore misspelled smart remarks are two seperate things.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]
FUCK, NO!

Rap is crap.  It's worse than that.  It's the worst excuse for making money without having anything of value to contribute in all of history,  right after  basketball, football, and baseball.  

CURLING is a more socially useful and relevant activity than rap!

I listen to MUSIC. That leaves rap OUT.    I'll listen to everything from heavy metal (death, speed, hardcore,  speedcore, classic) to classical to jazz.  But no rap, no way!

CJ
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Alright,   Maybe I should have been more clear.  I did say I like Tribe & Black Eyed Peas.
I downloaded some of this Necro guy. I honestly could do without some guy with songs called "All Hotties Eat the Jizz".  While it is mildly amusing, I was actually looking for some musical talent and/or inovation.  Some dipshit trying to shock people gets pretty boring pretty quickly (anybody remember Marilyn Manson?)
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#31]
[size=4]NO ![/size=4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
[size=4]NO ![/size=4]
View Quote

Can I have a [size=5] HELL NO! [/size=5]

Well I don't mind what the hell you listen to, just don't make ME listen to it when you go down the street!

Every time a puck with a loud stereo passes by, my trigger finger starts to itch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#33]
i like some stuff.  i think eminem's stuff is pretty good.  i have been kinda hooked on the fifty cent cd recently.  it took a couple listens but its growing on me.  look... he even has good finger discipline.  [:)]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12989[/img]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FUCK, NO!

Rap is crap.  It's worse than that.  It's the worst excuse for making money without having anything of value to contribute in all of history,  right after  basketball, football, and baseball.  

I listen to MUSIC. That leaves rap OUT.    I'll listen to everything from heavy metal (death, speed, hardcore,  speedcore, classic) to classical to jazz.  But no rap, no way!

CJ
View Quote

Don't hate what you don't know. You sound just like the old folks in the 1950's saying rock 'n roll wasn't music. I assure you there is more musicianship in one Outkast or Nappy Roots song than most death metal or speedcore, and I used to be a headbanger back in the day. 3 chords played on a guitar tuned so low it sounds like elepant farts and some guy atonally bellowing "SHITFUCKBITCHCOCKSLUT" does not a song make.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Cobalt Party Revolution
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#36]
beastie boys were so damn long ago that they were tolerable.

as for that shit today, no way, no how, i can imagine my own personal hell as having rap and tejano blaring one right after the other 24/7
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I fucken hate that shit.
View Quote

It's OK, dont hold back your real feelings on the subject! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#38]
old Blondie
new Madonna
Big Audio Dynamite
Beastie Boys
Will Smith
Eminem

.. and I've "Tyvek" 'd before, too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#39]
How about the good ole gangster rap.

Eazy-E, NWA, Too Short, Slick Rick, Ice-T ...

The new stuff isn't even close.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you seen "Fear of a Black Hat"?  DVD coming out in a month, it's the rap version of "This is Spinal Tap".  Pretty funny.
View Quote

Ohh man "fear of a black hat" is one of the funniest ghetto movies I've ever seen.  That's one DVD I'll get.  Lately all I've been able to do is catch it on HBO every once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I ONLY like eminem as far as rap goes.  Almost all of his songs are good for a laugh.

Patrick
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How about the good ole gangster rap.

[red]Eazy-E[/red], NWA, Too Short, Slick Rick, Ice-T ...

The new stuff isn't even close.
View Quote

Hell yeah! Search for Neighborhood Sniper and Nobody Move. Some DMX is ok too, but I don't know if it's what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Vibrating cars with white kids in them make me think they have a racial identity problem.  
View Quote

Don't worry Tom, I'm not trading my tattoos, Harley and Doc Martens for a sideways baseball cap, lowered civic and air jordans.
BTW, the great thing about Kazaa is that I get to appreciate the music of people I would never want to give a dime to.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Gourds - "Gin & Juice"    [;)]
View Quote

The only one that counts.............

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Pharcyde, Beasties, De La Soul are my favorites.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#48]
so here it is.  I listen to metal, but I do enjoy the occasional underground hip hop artist.

My recommendations.

Aesop Rock - Daylight
Atmosphere - The Woman With The Tattooed Hands

if you can find those two mp3s I guarantee you'll like them.  It's not gangster rap or any of that crap and very listenable
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
FUCK, NO!

CJ
View Quote

Don't hate what you don't know. You sound just like the old folks in the 1950's saying rock 'n roll wasn't music. I assure you there is more musicianship in one Outkast or Nappy Roots song than most death metal or speedcore, and I used to be a headbanger back in the day. 3 chords played on a guitar tuned so low it sounds like elepant farts and some guy atonally bellowing "SHITFUCKBITCHCOCKSLUT" does not a song make.
View Quote

I know what rap is.  I've heard enough to be quite certain.   It's shit.  Nothing else.  Pure shit, and that's all.   Nothing I'd want to take home or have to listen to.

Nobody here will live long enough for me to start liking rap.   Not even your great-grandchildren will live long enough to see me start liking rap. I't simply impossible.     The sun will burn out and fall to a mean surface temperature of absolute zero before I start to like rap.  And that won't EVER happen while the universe exists.

That shit disgusts me to the very core of my being.   It's objectionable to me on so many different levels that even I don't understand exactly why I hate it so.

I realize that there are degrees of rap/hip hop, and there is probably a point at which I don't object to a little bit of it in other music, but don't make the mistake of thinking I would ENJOY that.  I'd just tolerate it as a non-enjoyable part of the music and try to ignore it as I would a tambourine in a recording. (Another useless musical invention if ever there was one...)

There is something fundamentally wrong with our society when people with literally no MUSICAL talent at all can make a lot of money in the musical industry as a performer.

Rhyming to a beat is not music.  Not ever.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#50]
edited because, try as i might, i can't say anything nice to people like CMJohnson....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top