Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 3:01:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 6:39:42 PM EST by KeithC]
Any full-time gunsmiths on the board? Where/how did you get your training and is it your "calling" or just a hobby that supplements your "real" income?

Making money again is nice but I still hate my working life. Being employed again means I get to pay bills while I continue my search for the right path for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:40:42 PM EST
BTT and editing the title, thereby shrieking, "Notice me, dammit!!" ]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:42:48 PM EST
Are you looking for Professional Gunsmiths or Designated Gunsmiths?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:44:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By SNorman:
Are you looking for Professional Gunsmiths or Designated Gunsmiths?

That would be Imbroglio's job.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:47:19 PM EST
Not a gunsmith, just a parts changing armorer.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:47:45 PM EST
there is a gunsmith school in denver...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:52:21 PM EST
Uh-oh. I get the feeling I'm walking into an inside joke.... If it was a serious question, though, I haven't a frigging clue. That's my whole point in posting - need to know what I don't know so I can see if it's something I might be interested in pursuing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:06:38 AM EST
Try celt1 he is the force behind HD Rifle......

Good guy too!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:15:25 AM EST
keith have you looked into the Gunsmith school in Trinidad Colorado. It is one of the best gun smithing schools in the nation. Give their councilor a call and see what they have to say. There is one other member here that will be starting class there this next fall.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:27:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 5:39:08 AM EST by pathfinder74]
Didn't you know? Everyone here is a gunsmith, sniper, ex-Special Forces, and lawyer. How did you gte by the membership screening?

Edit: Sorry I didn't pick up on this the first time... you're interested in finding out about gunsmithing?

I have heard that some of those schools you see in the Gun mag ads involve learning a lot of engraving and what not... you might be looking more for an armorer/gun repair type of school. I don't know for sure... just throwing this out as bait for all the smarties to bite on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:32:22 AM EST
I have a dremel tool and a really big hammer. I'm WESCOG certified. What services do you need?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:52:59 AM EST
No Joke ment. I earn my money fixing guns, but I would never call myself a gunsmith. I just take parts out of bins to replace broken parts. I dont fabricate anything from stock.

I have in the past done gunsmithing work, but only on Muzzleloading firearms.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:56:28 AM EST
Most people here just FUCK GUNS UP.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:14:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 8:18:56 AM EST by innocent_bystander]
I attended the gunsmithing program at Yavapai College back in 1991 and 1992. I gave up my vow of poverty a long time ago and have been using my degree in justice to work as a paralegal for the last nine years. I just play with guns now as a hobby in case the lights go out.

www.gunsmithing.org/
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:01:46 PM EST
I'm not one, but I play one on TV!

I made this:

Outta this:

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:33:10 PM EST
Hey, thanks for the replies. Shooter505 and Innocent_Bystander, thanks for the leads. Pathfinder, it's okay - I'm a 34-year-old, 2-tour veteran of MACVSOG and have been stealthily training Delta snipers on a secret base (Firebase AllUrHeadshotsAreBelongToUs) that I can't tell you more about with killing you.

Actually, P74, you hit it right on the head. I don't have any machining background but started grinning like a kid in a candy store when I walked into a local class 3 guy's shop a few weeks ago. The idea of literally getting into the nuts and bolts (and cams and springs) of my favorite hobby and enduring passion? Yeah...feels like a good idea. I just need a place to start looking to see if it could pay the bills, too. Damn my healthy pragmatism....

PsyWar, care to share a little detail on where you work and how you got started? IM me if you don't mind chatting about it.

Btw, nice 1911, Entropy. I don't really care for shooting pistols with finger grooves like that but it "shur looks purty".
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:39:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 3:39:29 PM EST by Happyshooter]
I got sent to the squadron armory for a year in the Corps and tried hard to OJT as a 2111, but our det OIC wouldn't let me get the MOS. I took all the courses, though. I later put my training to work and built a 590 for myself. I never shoot it anymore, and I want to buy a cav adapter so I can fit a eotech and a AR stock.

I want to put a 6.8 together, too.

The gunsmith MOS in the Corps is 2112, 2111 can just change out parts, and a 2112 is highly respected and means custom work, and the ability to make custom tooling. A good 2112 is almost as good as a tool and die maker in terms of ability and craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:01:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
Try celt1 he is the force behind HD Rifle......

Good guy too!

He helped me out when I was trying to do some work!
Top Top