Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/10/2003 1:11:28 PM EDT
I just moved into a new apartment and last night I was woken up by a banging noise. It was coming from the bathroom, but I was groggy and couldn't tell where so I tried to ignore it. But it was loud, like someone tapping the 2x4s in the wall with a hammer. Today I learned that it's the drain pipe for the bathroom. Run a bit of hot or even warm water down the drain and it'll start acting up. What caused it last night was my downstairs neighbor took a shower, so it's not limited to just me causing it. Which if that were the case I'd be fine because I'd know when it was doing it and could live with it. I can't begin to figure what exactly is rubbing or banging on what in there, but I tell you it is LOUD. One of the maintenance guys was just over and said he can't do anything about it. It's just banging pipes. He says they'd have to tear up everything and put in new pipes which they're not going to do. My question is: Is that really neccessary? I mean, the whole new pipe deal? You can cure a squeaky floorboard with some talc, is there a simple solution to this problem as well?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:48:39 PM EDT
look into 'water hammer arrester'. Many types made. Can easily be soldered to the uppermost / top end of the pipes. A few bucks, a couple hours. Bitch'em out, it's an easy repair / upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:00:36 PM EDT
No but I got some plumbers crack.........see...................[moon]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:04:08 PM EDT
If it's the drain that's doing it. It is more than likely pvc or abs pipe that is tight against something. when it expands and contracts (hot or cold water) it pops.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:25:43 PM EDT
I talked to my Uncle today and he said it could be the vent pipe. It could be clogged up, not allowing enough air to the system and therefore bangs. Sound feasable? I'm probably just going to need to bitch until the office springs to have their plumber come out and take a listen. Thanks for the arrester ray, but I think that's a feed solution, this is a drain problem.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:44:30 PM EDT
What he said! Bob [:D]
Top Top