Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 10:04:36 AM EDT
What's the best adhesives to glue together  PVC fabric?  The material I'm talking about is the heavy stuff like is used on some inflatable boats, but not the cheap shiny stuff, the better grade, if that makes sense.

Can the PVC glues and primers made for PVC pipe be used?   I know PVC  pipe and other PVC material are a lot different, but are they chemically the same?

Also, can that stuff be painted with out having chemical issues that would weaken it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the product? It sounds more like Vinyl then PVC.

I know 30 plastic thermoforming engineers that can answer that if I can't. I'm knowledgeable polyethylenes. That's what I know best.

There's a good website that I can steer you to, I just have to remember where it is.

Here's a quick review:

Acrylic
Most acrylics are polymers of methyl methacrylate (PMMA) with methyl, ethyl or butyl acrylate added to modify properties. Impact- modified acrylics are used as a cap stock for HIPS, ABS, PVC, PC and other acrylics and may be co-extruded or applied as a laminate during extrusion.

Characteristics

Good optical clarity
Good weatherability and resistance to sunlight
Poor impact strength unless modified
Good dimensional stability and low shrinkage
Good abrasion resistance High gloss (or controlled gloss)
Limited solvent resistance; attacked especially by ketones, esters, chlorocarbons and aromatic hydrocarbons, freons
Typical Applications

Transparent items such as lenses, automotive trim, household items, light fixtures and decorator items, signs and spas. Impact modified versions are used in RV components, shutters, bathtubs, wall panels and roofing components.

Polycarbonate
Polycarbonate is formed by reaction of bisphenol A and phosgene.

Characteristics

Optical clarity
High impact strength
Ignition-resistant
Subject to stress cracking
High heat deflection temperature
Fair solvent resistance
High gloss
Typical Applications

Windows, helmets, instrument cases, mechanical goods, glasses, compact disks, glazing material.

Polyesters
These materials are typically prepared by the condensation of alkylene glycols and phthalic acid or a combination of ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. These polymers are common in film and fiber form. A number of structure variations are possible in the form of copolymers such as polyethyleneterephthalate (PETG). Thermoplastic polyesters include PBT, recycled PET, and alloys.

Characteristics

Tough and rigid resins
Excellent dimensional stability
Attacked by acids and bases
Limited solvent resistance
High gloss
Low outgassing
Clean room compatible
Easily sterilized
Typical Applications

Film and fiber, food and medical trays, soft drink bottles, displays, clothing, wire insulation, and sail boat sails.

Polyethylene
Polyethylene is a thermoplastic resin which is manufactured from the polymerization of ethylene monomer. This thermoplastic is available in a range of densities and molecular weights depending on the production process and copolomer (alpha olefin) used. Polyethylene lends itself to a variety of thermoplastic processing methods.

Characteristics

Excellent impact resistance over wide temperature range
Moisture resistance
Good environmental stress cracking resistance (ESCR)
Limited weatherability (w/o modification)
High thermal expansion & secondary shrinkage
Limited ability to bond and paint
Good chemical resistance
Typical Applications

For thermoforming applications, best used where durability, toughness, and price are more important than cosmetics. Tote boxes, pallets, agricultural products, truck bed liners, reusable material handling packaging, ATV fenders & body panels, battery boxes, etc. Available in black & white as standard colors. Custom colors available with 2,500 pound extrusion minimum. For utility products, an excellent, random gray, 100% post manufacturing reprocessed grade offers very good price/performance characteristics.

Polypropylene
Polypropylene is produced by the polymerization of propylene monomer with or without co-monomers.

Characteristics

Excellent moisture resistance
Excellent chemical resistance
High heat resistance
Limited weatherability (w/o modification)
High gloss
Attacked by chlorinated solvents and aromatics
Limited ability to bond and paint
Limited thermoformability
Typical Applications

Not as shock resistant as polyethylene, but less subject to secondary shrinkage and the cosmetic problems it can present, polypropylene is frequently used in manufacturing industrial parts for fluid processing, lab applications, automotive and electrical hardware, packaging material, stadium seats, and battery cases.

Polystyrene
Polystyrene is a thermoplastic resin which is manufactured from the polymerization of styrene monomer. There are two basic grades, crystal or unmodified general purpose polystyrene and impact or rubber modified polystyrene. The crystal polystyrenes possess high rigidity, gloss, and transparency (clarity) but have limited impact or toughness properties. Impact grades are generally opaque but have improved impact resistance and environmental stress crack resistance due to rubber modification.

Characteristics

Excellent processability
Good dimensional stability
High gloss
Limited solvent resistance
Typical Applications

Food and medical packaging, housewares, toys, audio/video cassettes, electronic housings, furniture, expanded foam articles, cutlery, advertising displays, back-lit signs, tub surrounds, refrigerator liners.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had excellent results gluing plastics with a hot glue gun.   Let the glue get really hot, well beyond the point at which it flows.  For low melting temperature plastics such as the black corragated drain pipe, it really works well.   I don't know how well it would work on high temp plastics.

This would work for a low stress low danger application.  No chemicals are used either.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
This would be a fairly stressed application.

The material in question is described as 'PVC'.  I'll try to find more specifics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top