Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 7:30:56 PM EDT
I tried twice today to buy a couple of ink cartridges from Dell.  I couldn't understand what the hell the reps were asking me, then I was "disconnected" twice    
Anywhere else to get Dell/ knock-off/ compatible cartridges??   The printer is a 720 photo printer.

TIA

--VT

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the refill kit for cheap:

http://www.ldproducts.com/suforde720in.html

or buy refurbs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Dell used to use Lexmark printers but added a "tit" so that you couldn't put standard Lexmark carts in them.  All you had to do was either file the tit out of the cartridge holders or file it into the new carts.  Do a Google search or ask in one of the printer newsgroups or forums to see if this is the case with your Dell printer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Dell printers are just Lexmark brand, but Dell puts their name on them, at least thats why my dell printer is anyways.  I just went down to OfficeMax with my Cartridge and found one that said it was compatible with the Dell printer that I had.  Give that a shot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Dell doesn't make printers.  They took a Lexmark printer and slapped the word 'Dell" on the front.  They also modified them so Lexmark ink won't fit, and you have to buy Dell's modified ink cartridges for more $$$.  I've read that you can modify the ink cartridges or the printer to make Lexmark cartridges fit.

Just google for 'dell 720 lexmark'.  You should be able to find some info.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
VT,

Have you tried looking at your local office supply stores? (OfficeMax, Office Depot, Staples, etc?)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Get another printer, preferably an Epson or Canon.  I will never buy another Lexmark again.  Lexmarks printers suck up ink like a hungry baby on a tit.  They can't give away Lexmarks.  That's why their printers are cheaper than the ink cartridges.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get another printer, preferably an Epson or Canon.  I will never buy another Lexmark again.  Lexmarks printers suck up ink like a hungry baby on a tit.  They can't give away Lexmarks.  That's why their printers are cheaper than the ink cartridges.

That's their marketing plan - I think they were first with it and the others copied.

Sell the printers for dirt cheap and jack up the price on the ink.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies guys!  I'm happy that I shouldn't have to attempt to buy through Dell again..
Doing a search now, otherwise I will try to find a Staples or the like.

--VT  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get the refill kit for cheap:

http://www.ldproducts.com/suforde720in.html

or buy refurbs.

Excellent, I bought the refill kit for $13.95 shipped.  I have an HP Officejet printer/ fax too that is far better, but the Dell/ Lexmark is hooked up to the laptop.  

Thanks a ton guys!

--VT
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy the Office depot (officemax?) generic cartridge.  "Dell" isn't listed in thier application guide, (and if you ask the store personnel, they'll say they don't carry it) but the Lexmark Z33 is.  Use the part number listed for the Lex Z33.

If you double check the back of the ink cartridge box, you'll see the Dell 720 listed there.

For some reason, the genuine Lexmark ink cart wont work, but the generic will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top