Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/22/2012 4:31:44 AM EST
I have a dumb question that I am afraid I know the answer to. I am a middle school wrestling coach and try to get a parent to photograph matches for a end of the year banquet where I give them a CD of pictures and video's so we can give them something to look back on (and to hook them on the sport). I have tried having them use several point and shoot type digital cameras that we have at the house and most of the shots are terrible. Very blurry and never really crisp.

I am going to try to turn down my exposure time on the "best" camera we have, a Canon PowerShot 150, but wonder if there is a better camera that isn't going to cost me many hundreds of dollars. Any suggestions for affordable (and good) on the used market?

I'm sure the answer is to buy a $500-$1000 camera and a $500 lens, but that isn't going to happen.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:39:12 AM EST
I think you answered your own question.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:53:52 AM EST
If only it could be done with a $500 lens... Camera body, perhaps you can find one that cheap. My setup to shoot sports runs close to $10k...

What you are looking for in a lens is one with a wide aperture that allows you to keep the shutter speed higher (kind of like a shot gun, the smaller the number the bigger the opening). A professional lens that is "fast" will maintain a constant aperture throughout the focal length, say f2.8. Lenses that come with cameras or are less expensive have a variable aperture based on focal length because the front element moves further away from the back of the lens making the relative size of the aperture smaller. These lenses are marked like this 28-200 3.5-5.6...meaning with the lens wide open at 28mm the aperture is 3.5 & at 200 without changing the physical size of the aperture it is equivalent to 5.6 @200mm.

A lens from either Nikon or Canon with a constant aperture of 2.8 generally start around $1500 and go way up from there. I have a 300mm 2.8 that I got nicked for $3.5k used. But for shooting sports it is excellent.

Try looking around at keh.com they broker in used camera gear, bodies and lenses. I buy a lot of gear from them. With patience you may be able to find a decent deal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:01:40 AM EST
As a part time sports photographer I think your biggest issue is that you have a very dark gym. (don't feel insulted, every gym I've shot in is dark as a cave almost) if you'll put a TON more light on the mat then the P&S will start to perform better. When I say more light I don't mean half-ass it I mean enough that you have to squint for awhile until your eyes adjust to it. If your school has large portable flood/utility lights set them up and use those and your not out any money.

Failing that spend $1k on a d7000 and $2500 on a fast lens.

Seriously the key to having a PS take decent sports pictures is lots and LOTS of light.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:04:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 5:05:36 AM EST by theskuh]
Someone you know must have at least a passable dslr. Just ask around. You could buy them a fast 50mm if they had a dslr for ~$100 and that would be payment for them taking some shots for you.

Or as above buy the d7000 love mine though it has trouble focusing sometimes.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:05:30 AM EST
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:11:41 AM EST
How often?

Cuz you can also rent a 7D and a 70-200 mkii for under $200ish
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:24:34 AM EST
Why not ask if any of the parents have a camera? I'm sure someone has photography as a hobby or even a profession. They can handle the picture taking duties for the banquet.

If you want your own, research available cameras. There's hundreds of them, but you can narrow it down by price.
Here are some good websites:

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.cameralabs.com/

And you can buy new or used here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.adorama.com/

Or here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Ot go to your local Best Buy, WalMart, Target, Comp USA, etc., and check out their cameras.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:25:10 AM EST
Could probably pick up a used Canon T3i pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:38:36 AM EST
Call around and find the Rental shop that the pro's in your area use. Most major areas have one because even the pros can't afford everything they want or need for every job. You'll have to lay down a hefty deposit (about what it would cost to buy the equipment!) but if you have the cash on hand, that's the way to go if you really want good pictures. Get a camera body (the cheapest digital they have will be more than enough), a good zoom lens, and a flash. If the ceremony isn't taking place in a gym, angle the flash up to reflect off the ceiling so the main light-source is off-axis with the lens (that's what causes red-eye), open the aperture as wide as it will go, and reduce the shutter-time until the pictures aren't all washed out. They'll be the best pics you've ever taken.

Or...call up whoever teaches the photography class at the school and tell them you'll pay a student $25 to show up and take pictures for a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:50:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 5:51:32 AM EST by Nick710]
Did someone suggest Wrestling Pics???

Good luck coach. Our school program is one of the top programs in the nation. We have multiple professionals at all our events.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:19:26 PM EST
About every weekend for the next two months.

Originally Posted By danpass:
How often?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:21:58 PM EST
Nice Pic! What is your school, are you an OU or OSU fan? Do you go to the NCAA National Tournaments? If so give a PM, I'm looking forward to Iowa this spring, and your own Oklahoma next year.

Originally Posted By Nick710:
Did someone suggest Wrestling Pics???

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/16886LeachGrossFinals.jpg

Good luck coach. Our school program is one of the top programs in the nation. We have multiple professionals at all our events.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:40:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bville-Bud:
About every weekend for the next two months.

Originally Posted By danpass:
How often?

Is there a school newspaper with a photographer?
Top Top