Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2001 4:11:19 PM EDT
I just got another Night Vision rifle scope.
Man.
The first one I had was active only-
This latest one is passive/active.
AMAZING how much clarity these things have!

I can't be the only one...

Anyone else own/enjoy NV gear?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
details,details?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure!
I bought it off of Cheeks in teh equiptment exchange.
It's a 2nd Generation Belarusian Night Super 3.5 Passive/Active scope made by
"Beylarus Mechanik and Optik"- One of the best NV makers in East Europe (They have a website- Lemme dig it up)

Active Night vision means that an IR illuminator is required to view a target. Advantages are it can be used in total darkenss, and they are cheaper. The disadvantages are the IR can be seen by anyone else with a NV scope, totally pinpointing your location- and- the distance isn't all too great.

"Passive" units use a little computer thingie to process the image- and magnify it. They too can be used with IR illimination as an option for complete darkenss- The advantages are stealth, and better range.

Mine is passive/active. It has an internal IR illuminator, so no xtra bulk. It has a 3 position switch- "0" is off- "1" is for passive mode, "2" activated the illuminator for totally dark conditions-

I just took it out again tonight, and i'll be damned if I wasn't seeing crap 75 yards away in pitch black!
I could see squirells way up high in the trees,... They really are amazing.

NO DOUBT! they will be banned soon. Many parts of the world consider posession of NV gear to be on par with illegal MG posession.
I am amazed we can still buy them with no special paperwork. To me, hitting a target in pitch black is a hell of a lot more fearsome than full auto!

They will be banned soon..

must.....get.....more....NV Gear....
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Pleas send me the link if you can find it.
I have just about convinced the powers
that is a necessity.

Looking for 1
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just took it out again tonight, and i'll be damned if I wasn't seeing crap 75 yards away in pitch black!
I could see squirells way up high in the trees,... They really are amazing.

View Quote

Squirrels...night vision...hmmm... could I put one of these scopes on a pellet gun? :^)

Sue would make their little lives hell- something I'd look forward to doing, since the little buggers have ruined my garden for the last time....
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait 'til you play with some US-made night vision equipment.

I have an AN/PVS-14 I use head-mounted, in concert with a weapon-mounted AN/PAQ-4C IR aiming light. I recently had the stuff out for an impromptu coyote hunt on a friend's farm here in TN.

I have the weapon mount for the NV device also, and intend to get a dedicated upper soon. With a 3x afocal lens, it will be an awesome night-time varmint set-up.

The US made equipment costs substantially more, but has a much longer use-life and better overall performance (better signal-to noise, better gain, less image distortion, etc).

And by the way, a night vision scope with an IR illuminator, when mounted to a weapon, is illegal in CA (no surprise there, I'm sure).

havoc

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top