Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2008 10:23:48 AM EDT
I have a huge uncomfortable hydrocele that will be removed in a couple of weeks. has anyone here had one as well and how long were you out of work ,etc?

I am also having a lithroscopy to break up a kidney stone anyone gone through that?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Hydrocele, no.  Lithotripsy, yes,   in both kidneys.   But not lithroscopy.  I expect it will
bear some similarities to lithotripsy.

Lithotripsy is pretty simple.

You go on the operating table, they knock you out.  The doctor installs stents in the kidney(s) of interest via your urethra.  They don't shave your junk but the nurses may make
jokes about it or admire it, depending.  You'll never know.  

You wake up later feeling rather sore and abused.   But the pain meds will help.

You'll be encouraged to drink some water and you won't be able to leave until you show
the doctor (or nurse) a decent sized urine sample to prove your kidneys are still working.

Peeing will be painful and you may pee burgundy.  It's not wine, though.  I advise against
taking a taste of it.

You might pee a few drops of pure blood.

If you pee OK, you'll be going home shortly and will have a prescription for your
inevitable soreness.   Oxycodone or something similar,  most likely.

Expect some light bruising over your kidney(s).

The painfull peeing won't last more than a day, typically.  After that you'll feel pretty
close to normal,  at least if you don't miss your scheduled pain pills.

You still have a stent in you.    You'll feel some discomfort as a result of it.

Strenuous activity can make the stent fall out and end up in your bladder.  

The stent stays in for about two weeks.

It'll be removed in the doctor's office under a local anaesthetic,  by the doctor sticking
a flexible grappling hook with a camera on it right through your urethra.   It will be
an uncomfortable experience.  Don't epect the local anaesthetic to stop all sensation.

The local anaesthetic will be squirted into your penis with a large syringe with no needle,
and clamped off with a spring clamp while the stuff takes effect.    This is a strange
sensation, too.    

The stent removal might take a minute or less but it'll seem a lot longer.

I had lithotripsy on both kidneys,  just over two weeks apart.  Due to that, in total I was
out on benefits for five weeks as my workplace didn't have a "light duty" option for me,
so I screwed off and took it easy for five weeks.      It wasn't bad.  

Been there, done that.  Got the little vial of sand to show for it.

Drink more water more often.

CJ
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the vived discrption
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the vived discrption

No shit
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hydrocele, no.  Lithotripsy, yes,   in both kidneys.   But not lithroscopy.  I expect it will
bear some similarities to lithotripsy.

Lithotripsy is pretty simple.

You go on the operating table, they knock you out.  The doctor installs stents in the kidney(s) of interest via your urethra.  They don't shave your junk but the nurses may make
jokes about it or admire it, depending.  You'll never know.  

You wake up later feeling rather sore and abused.   But the pain meds will help.

You'll be encouraged to drink some water and you won't be able to leave until you show
the doctor (or nurse) a decent sized urine sample to prove your kidneys are still working.

Peeing will be painful and you may pee burgundy.  It's not wine, though.  I advise against
taking a taste of it.

You might pee a few drops of pure blood.

If you pee OK, you'll be going home shortly and will have a prescription for your
inevitable soreness.   Oxycodone or something similar,  most likely.

Expect some light bruising over your kidney(s).

You still have a stent in you.    You'll feel some discomfort as a result of it.

Strenuous activity can make the stent fall out and end up in your bladder.  

The stent stays in for about two weeks.

It'll be removed in the doctor's office under a local anaesthetic,  by the doctor sticking
a flexible grappling hook with a camera on it right through your urethra.   It will be
an uncomfortable experience.  Don't epect the local anaesthetic to stop all sensation.

The local anaesthetic will be squirted into your penis with a large syringe with no needle,
and clamped off with a spring clamp while the stuff takes effect.    This is a strange
sensation, too.    

The stent removal might take a minute or less but it'll seem a lot longer.

I had lithotripsy on both kidneys,  just over two weeks apart.  Due to that, in total I was
out on benefits for five weeks as my workplace didn't have a "light duty" option for me,
so I screwed off and took it easy for five weeks.      It wasn't bad.  

Been there, done that.  Got the little vial of sand to show for it.

Drink more water more often.

CJ

Good LORD! I really hope I never have to go through that!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The hydrocele kinda feels like a hernia, right? But without the lump in your groin area. I had/have groin discomfort that comes and goes but was negative for a hernia. I had a testicular ultrasound and a CT scan with contrast that both showed hydroceles/variceles. Basically it was described to me as a temporary fluid hernia that enters your testicle but eventually retracts back into your abdomen. If it's a problem long enough and painful enough they can put a stent on the vessel leading into your testicle to restrict the fluid (or blood) from being pushed down there during exertion.

Oh, they basically said that lifting weights all these years made me prone to it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#6]
When the Mrs's stent was taking out due to a kidnet stone the size of 4 peas long and 2 wide, she was awake and nothing for the pain.

She came home looking like this,
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#7]
It depends on the nature of the hydrocele.  My father had one that was horrific.  It was attached (I believe permeated) to the abdomenal wall and compounded with a hernia.  It required a far more invasive procedure to remove and correct than he was told it would be.  

On the other hand, mine which resulted from injury took less than an hour to remove (including recovery time).  

Dad was in the hospital for 4 days because of bleeding and swelling.  I walked out of the hospital and went to work the next day (desk job).

The answer is to get treatment as soon as you know that you need surgery.  Dad ignored his for 7 years (along with his hernia), whereas I got mine looked at when I got injured and then reexamined when the swelling didn't go down after 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It depends on the nature of the hydrocele.  My father had one that was horrific.  It was attached (I believe permeated) to the abdomenal wall and compounded with a hernia.  It required a far more invasive procedure to remove and correct than he was told it would be.  

On the other hand, mine which resulted from injury took less than an hour to remove (including recovery time).  

Dad was in the hospital for 4 days because of bleeding and swelling.  I walked out of the hospital and went to work the next day (desk job).

The answer is to get treatment as soon as you know that you need surgery.  Dad ignored his for 7 years (along with his hernia), whereas I got mine looked at when I got injured and then reexamined when the swelling didn't go down after 2 weeks.

Thats the info i was looking for ,thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top