Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/13/2006 5:07:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 5:07:53 AM EDT by Hokie]
Just wondering and searching for ideas. I'm finishing half my basement. The other half is a workshop/arsenal/utility room.

I've got two steel rustoleum primed 4" support beams holding the house and resting on the concrete basement slab. When I finish the room I want these to be covered somehow, whether it's by wrapping it in spiral-like with heavy rope, sheet rocking it in, or ????

Hopefully you guys can provide some inspiration for me.

Thanks

H
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:10:14 AM EDT
Don't know if this will help you or not: www.owenscorning.com/around/bfs/finishingfacts.asp
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:12:48 AM EDT
Get some nice finished 1X4's and box them in. Miter and caulk the edges so it looks seemless and professional. Paint to match the decor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:16:42 AM EDT
I rented a paint sprayer this past weekeng and painted the entire ceiling black, everything, wires plumbing etc..I moved everything to run in the joists as well prior to painting. I hung can lights on dimmers and zoned them. I am attaching white vinyl lattace on the joists so the can rings are over the lattace. Should look pretty good when I am done.

I bought douglas fir 1x6's for my beams, boxed them in and painted them a semi gloss white to match the lattace. I bought a wood wrap pillar enclousre for the one exposed pillar I have.

Looking forward to moving the Family room down there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:02 AM EDT
I built a box aroudn them by using self tappign screws to hold lumber to them, then drywalled that.

If you do do the finished look with wood and caulking, make sure it is a paintabel caulking, you would not beleive how often I run into people who used silicone to find it is not paintable
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:03 AM EDT
I bought the wood but haven't had the time to finish it. I got a wood surround for the beam with matching moulding. When it's done it will look like a column. I got mine from Menards as they have a better selection than Home Depot. You need to measure the diameter of your beam to get the right size.

They come in MDF if you just want to paint it or some nicer all oak or maple ones if you want to stain.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:18:49 AM EDT
Box them in with wood, then finish/paint to match the rest of the room.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:21:20 AM EDT
I forgot to add.

I predrilled starter holes in my I-Beam...then I put a 1x6 on the bottom side and power drove the bottom ones in. Then I ground off the nail head to flush it but leaving enough on so that the washer would hold still...Then I filled it in, sanded and painted.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:23:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:23:07 AM EDT
For my B.I.L's place we split (sawed down the middle) Cedar logs, hollowed out the middle & fitted them around the columns. It was really quite easy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:25:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SouthHoof:
For my B.I.L's place we split (sawed down the middle) Cedar logs, hollowed out the middle & fitted them around the columns. It was really quite easy.

Did you leave them all natural? Or were they finished?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:26:00 AM EDT
Those steel supports are useful. Put some bolts thru them and use them to restrain your slavegirl.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:26:27 AM EDT
Just knock them out with a sledge hammer!

Seriously though, I was looking to remove mine and was told you could sandwhich or "marry" the overhead support beam with long steel plates. That would allow you to remove the columns. The only problem was I'd have to get a residential structural engineer to make sure it was planned right, or my house could collapse! I'm wondering how much $$$ that will cost?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:39:22 AM EDT
Hokie-man!
We finished our basesment 7 years ago. We hemmed and hawed over the posts. We have 4 of them. 2 got encased in a wall that seperates the bar section from hubby's tool crib. The other 2 are part of the main "rumpus room" if you will and stand between the pool table and the spot reserved for the new TV (hubby's V-Day present).
We primed the posts and then I "marbelized" them with paint bought at Home Depot in the "Paint Tricks" department. Then we wrapped the posts with white lights so that when we have a party, it's more festive. Cheap, looks great.
OH...and since you're in cold country too: hubby recommends dropped ceilings with pipes wrapped for insulation and "pockets" in your dry-wall to get at all the pipes' safety caps. We've hidden ours behind "pub style" pics...some are visable as I have not finished decorating.

Hope the pics help:

8 days until a TV fills that gap! yay!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:41:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

Originally Posted By SouthHoof:

Did you leave them all natural? Or were they finished?

debarked, smoothed a bit by sanding & then varnished
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:59:40 AM EDT
I used pre-fabbed 8 sided pole wraps.
They are made of MDF (medium density fiberboard) and come in two halves. The seams are tongue and grooved . All I did was make some blocks to center the wraps on the 3.00 diameter support pole, primed them, painted them and glued them over the poles. Put some large cable ties on to hold the two halves together tightly. . I cut the wraps to 1/2" less than the height between the floor and ceiling to allow me to rotate the finished wrap to orient the joints how my wife wanted them.

After the glue dried, I ran some caulk along the seam to fill in the minor gaps, let it dry then ran a paint roller along the seam to finish it up. Finished it up with pieces of baseboard trim and used crown moulding for the top where it met the ceiling to bridge the 1/2" gap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:16:04 AM EDT
Pull em all out and put in a ghulam! Thats what I did.....

Got to love wide open spaces!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:34:08 AM EDT
I just started this about 2 weeks ago. Just got it finished up a few days ago.

Not sure it's best, but it's what I did. Nevermind the crappy pics. Basically, I took 2X3s and put 2 of them together on each side. Used some metal straps and put on the outside of them to keep them from pulling in. Then, drilled a hole all the way through. I then used large water pipe clamps and snugged them up. Cover with sheetrock and you're good to go. Pretty impressed with myself, I thought that up all by myself! I was sort of afraid it wouldn't be very stable, but I used 4 of the clamps, it's not moving anywhere.

Here are some pics. If you have any questions, let me know.

This pic kinda shows you what I'm talking about in the fabrication part...

and another...

Finished product...

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 6:42:25 AM EDT by criley]
I have an 1850 sq ft "basement." The slope of the property is such that from the front of the home it looks like a one story house. From the rear it looks like a two story.

I had a basic floor plan in mind and hired an architect. All of the vertical supports are contained within walls. We removed a couple of vertical supports by placing a steel beam across the area that we wanted open.

Turned out very nicely.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:46:46 AM EDT
Besides the boxing in, I've also seen the poles wrapped in carpet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:06:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Besides the boxing in, I've also seen the poles wrapped in carpet.

If you have kids that run around down there, some thick berber over a pad, and a few plastic zip ties will be a good solution.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:15:57 AM EDT
beams or columns?
How fancy do you want to go?
Frame 2x around the columns and drywall. Frame with 2x's, Nail plywood to 2x's, attach sanded oak veneer to plywood or use good sanded plywood by itself. Finish with metal panels. Endless possibilities.
If they are beams, I like the sanded, stained plywood approach.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:42:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Those steel supports are useful. Put some bolts thru them and use them to restrain your slavegirl.

I've got a special room for that
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:43:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hokie:

Pics???
Come one...WE posted pics!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:46:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dvr9:
Get some nice finished 1X4's and box them in. Miter and caulk the edges so it looks seemless and professional. Paint to match the decor.

Thats the way to do it. Looks great in my basement.

If you are into tropical themes, wrap the pole with paper bags you get at the grocery store. It can look ragged. Then you get some newspaper and cut out leaves and spray paint them green. Get some balls your kids have stopped playing with and paint them and you have instant coconut tree.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:47:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 7:48:05 AM EDT by Hokie]

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

Pics???
Come one...WE posted pics!

It'd violate BOTD rules, SGOTD rules, and S&MOTD rules! I cannot in good concience submit such debauchery to these young impressionable minds.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:50:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rdblan2:
I just started this about 2 weeks ago. Just got it finished up a few days ago.

Not sure it's best, but it's what I did. Nevermind the crappy pics. Basically, I took 2X3s and put 2 of them together on each side. Used some metal straps and put on the outside of them to keep them from pulling in. Then, drilled a hole all the way through. I then used large water pipe clamps and snugged them up. Cover with sheetrock and you're good to go. Pretty impressed with myself, I thought that up all by myself! I was sort of afraid it wouldn't be very stable, but I used 4 of the clamps, it's not moving anywhere.

Here are some pics. If you have any questions, let me know.

This pic kinda shows you what I'm talking about in the fabrication part...

www.hunt101.com/img/376762.JPG

and another...

www.hunt101.com/img/376764.JPG

Finished product...

www.hunt101.com/img/376766.JPG

Sweet! All good photos - lots of good ideas here. I like the idea of boxing them in but my parties "sometimes"inadvertently turn into these 3am drunk fests and I fear the sheet rock would take quite the beating. I almost need a bumper! lol....

PM has the right idea too - low maintenance but it still looks good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:08:14 AM EDT
not to hijack my own thread but how'd you guys install your flooring over the concrete slab?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:19:15 AM EDT

not to hijack my own thread but how'd you guys install your flooring over the concrete slab?

Ya, I Drylocked, plastic, 5/8" Padding and a California style berber.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:31:39 AM EDT

I often hear of people studding their floor and/or putting down rubber matting. My basement never floods so I think I can skip anything too elaborate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:38:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 8:38:42 AM EDT by ZitiForBreakfast]

I often hear of people studding their floor and/or putting down rubber matting. My basement never floods so I think I can skip anything too elaborate.

You done did it now!

They make these 2x2 sqaures of subflooring that interlock where 1/2" ply sits on top of a platic plate that has a raised rounded 'sole', like little balls cut in half to allow water to flow to the drains. I was thinking of using that, then I saw that the floor would cost as much as the framing, drywall, paint and trim.

So I said forget that and did what I did. I have a dryfloor and I am not worried of water coming up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:46:08 AM EDT

You done did it now!

They make these 2x2 sqaures of subflooring that interlock where 1/2" ply sits on top of a platic plate that has a raised rounded 'sole', like little balls cut in half to allow water to flow to the drains. I was thinking of using that, then I saw that the floor would cost as much as the framing, drywall, paint and trim.

So I said forget that and did what I did. I have a dryfloor and I am not worried of water coming up.

that's my take on it too!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:42:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Nefarius:

What's a "ghulam"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:45:00 AM EDT
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:01:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:

Originally Posted By Nefarius:

What's a "ghulam"

Laminated wooden beam. spans up to 32'!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:07:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 11:09:37 AM EDT by easy610]

I did these on the two exposed poles in my basement. Look very nice. Stained it the same color as the oak bar I built.....

It is a segmented wrap of real oak glued to a flexible wrap material. You use liquid nails (or the like) and wrap the pole. Then masking tape the wrap at 8" intervals from top to bottom to get tight fit. SImple and avail at my local Home Depot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:13:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By easy610:
www.polewrap.com/PW&SectionalPhoto800x600.jpg

I did these on the two exposed poles in my basement. Look very nice. Stained it the same color as the oak bar I built.....

It is a segmented wrap of real oak glued to a flexible wrap material. You use liquid nails (or the like) and wrap the pole. Then masking tape the wrap at 8" intervals from top to bottom to get tight fit. SImple and avail at my local Home Depot.

That looks very good!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:28:16 AM EDT

Yup, thats it..I called it wood wrap..but it is pole wrap. Easy and cheap. Good results.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:05:40 PM EDT

Damn that's nice! I wish I had done mine that way.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:33:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:

Damn that's nice! I wish I had done mine that way.

Dayum!!!!!!!
Wonder if it's too late for a "redo."
Calls to Mr Playmore....."oh honey......."
NICE!!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:56:13 PM EDT
And it only runs like $20 and takes about 15 minutes (other than the staining or painting...) per pole.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:57:31 PM EDT
My mother in law used the pole wrap to cover the outside of her bar in her basement, it is shaped like an "S" and the stuff worked great.
Top Top