Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/19/2015 6:00:44 PM EST
I have a 1999 F150 with some rust in my cooling system. Everything works fine except on occasion my heating core gets blocked. I backflush the core and all is good for a couple of weeks or months. I recently used a Prestone coolant flush and when I flushed the whole system, that is when I noticed the rust particles. I believe my radiator is aluminum and plastic (at least the replacements are) so I guess the rust is from the block.
I saw some info about evapo rust engine black and cooling system cleaner.
Has anyone ever used it?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:36:40 PM EST
Evapo-Rust can be used on cooling systems and does a great job removing rust deposits from water pumps, water jackets, and engine blocks and heads. It will take about 2 gallons to do the job. Just drain the coolant fill with Evapo-Rust and top off with water run the engine for 30 min then let sit overnight. Drain and reserve the Evapo-Rust to reuse flush until the water runs clear you might have to repeat the process to completely clean out the rust. Once the rut is gone flush and refill with coolant/antifreeze.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:39:46 PM EST
Thank you for helping me with your first post.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:49:40 AM EST
I use reverse osmosis / deionized filtered water. This stuff is ultra pure and dissolves everything without a bunch of chemicals, the downside is it may expose holes in the heater core or other parts. Several flush fill cycles with RO/DI water (plus some coolant if freezing may occur) and you're gonna see a big improvement.

It's all I run in my cooling systems and even the windshield washer tanks.

Upscale aquarium shops often produce and sell this water for use in saltwater tanks or even freshwater tanks with plants & delicate fish.

Sorry I got nothing on the Evapo Rust thing.
Top Top