Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 10:31:30 AM EDT
Talk about leaving your weapon somewhere is one thing, but has anyone ever drove off from the HQ or call scene with crap still on the roof or trunk of their vehicle?

I know I have at least twice in my career.  Good thing is though only my feeling were hurt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought everybody has.  I've heard of other officers accidentally losing some prisoner's property that way. Of course, that never happened to me!!!  I've lost a cell phone that way that was my own.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
When I bought my SIG 220 I took it to work to show around. At the beginning of the shift, as I was loading my car I sat it (in the plastic case)on the roof. I drove about two blocks when I realized I'd left it up there. Luckily it had slid back and got caught by the lightbar. I've also lost a citation holder off the trunk, then ran over it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Arrested four late teens/young adults for credit card fraud at a Mall.  After stuffing them in the back seat of my unit, I drove off and heard a "Bang!, Clank!, Clatter!" Looked in the rear view and saw my aluminum clip board bouncing along after me trailing a blizzard of report forms some of which had the statements and info on witnesses for the felony fraud case.  
Stupid Deputy, Stupid Deputy, Stupid Deputy!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I know that I'm not an LEO but I've done damn near the same thing.

I was delivering bread on California St. in San Francisco and put a full crate of bread on top of my van and forgot about it.

I drove down California and took a left on Polk then I heard sliding on the roof and a crack on the street. Look in the mirror and see 18 loaves of bread and a crate laying in the middle of the street.

I've never felt so damn stupid in my life. I had to face a crowd of people while I cleaned the stuff up explaining what happened.

Alex[V]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I make a habit of it!....
Drove off with contraband, property, etc.
I've been lucky with some...first call of the day one time I "misplaced" my clipboard. Drove around all day before discovering it at the end of shift wedged under the light bar.
Took off from an arrest scene once, arrived 20 blocks later at the precinct and couldn't find the property I secured from the arrest. Realizing I had placed it on the hood at the scene, I back-tracked...found the items in three separate locations along the route!
Collected a beer bottle for prints, bagged it, put in on top of the patrol car, drove off...first turn I took, off it slid...shatter!!
The best though was a meeting with the Chief. He handed out some crapola lengthy stack of documents he made wayyyy too big a deal over. Left HQ and as I got on the freeway, hit the onramp, accelerated, and looking in my rearview mirror watched in horror as the packet slid off the roof, hit the ground and burst!!!!
Hahahahahaha...whucha gonna do ???!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PBT's do NOT bounce.
No futher.

Art in KY
View Quote

PBT's? Ummm what's that?

I've had coffee spill down my front windshield once(or twice)
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't remember what it was, but I remember it didn't break.

I suppose that's a good thing.

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I left my coffee cup on my Vector overheads, made a left through busy intersection, bounces off the trunk and then explodes in a million pieces on the road. I saw several motorists laughing and pointing. Very red faced deal, let me tell ya![:I] Another time I left my Streamlight on the vent just behind the hood of my patrol car. No sh$t, about thirty minutes later I see it as I'm cruising down the road and discretely pull over and tell the reserve with me to get something from the trunk while I quickly grabbed the light and stuck it back in the charger before he closed the trunk. One time I also left a Glock 17 on the hood of my pickup and drove off. I remembered it five minutes down the road and luckily it was still in the middle of the road when I went back!

jester    
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#10]
File folder of civil papers.  People DO look at you funny when their subpoena has tread marks on the back.  End of story.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Ticket Book. A citizen brought it to the station after it was missing for two weeks and I had performed countless searches of the area for it.

A clipboard that had some sensitive documents in it, in a busy major intersection. I spent about 15 minutes runing around recovering everything and trying not to get run over.

I have had my ticketbook, clipoard and once my radio all saved by the push bumper on the front of my car. Thank God for those things.

My flashlight, two weeks ago. Its a Streamlight SL20XP (the plastic kind) and I think that it has finally reached the end of its valuable, highly productive six-year career. At least these incidents seem to be occurring less frequently.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Another officer drove off with my roll-a-tape on his hood. It fell off as we were following the wagon containing our combative stoned drunk to the station. I went back and pulled it out of the ditch later. It doesn't telescope quite the same any more.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The question should be who has not! Kind of like leaving the weapon question. If you have not it's because you're not doing anything! I've lost countless items and destroyed a few more.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#15]
The worse thing I've lost off the roof was the contents of an arrestees pockets, no great loss.

One of my troops, however, had a much worse problem.  He was loading equipment from his POV to his squad when he put a fannypack containing a loaded glock .45 on the roof.  He got distracted and drove off. 2 hours later, he realized what he had done. We couldn't  find it. Turned out that a middle school student found it while crossing the street, and (THANK GOD) gave the pack to an adult before looking in it.  Talk about a pucker factor !

The offending officer had finished his probationary period less then one week before this incident. Needless to say, he had some free time on his hands.      
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Drove off with a DUI suspect's license, pocket change, & cigarette lighter on my roof.  Lightbar caught everything but $2.50 worth of changes.  Guy was so drunk, he forgot about it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#17]
PBT after a drunk driving arrest. Noticed it was missing at the jail.  Returned to the scene of the arrest.  Saw a trail of small plastic pieces that used to be a PBT, before it got ran over about 50 times.  

"It's okay this time, Deputy........But don't let it ever happen again"
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank goodness I'm not alone!

NVG's
My K9's Leash
Binoculars
coffee cup

and oh yeah.......175 lbs of MJ!, At leats I realized it before getting too far!  I can just see it now a college kid telling his buddies, "Dudes, Look what I found!"

Bazztard
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Twice I have diven off, leaving my clip-board on the roof or hood. Last time I did it, I had to re-trace my steps and located it in the middle of the largest intersection within the city. I felt kind-of stupid by having to shut down the intersection so that I could retreive my pad!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Hah!  I had another officer stop the N/B I-405 (5 lanes) in Long Beach so I could retrieve mine.  Then there was stopping the W/B SR91 (5 lanes) to retrieve the badge with the bad pin that flew off my shirt while I was riding my motor in one day; The 91 again for a pair of gloves lost when the saddle bag popped open; My partner's pinch book...couldn't find four of the citations he'd issued.  He never forgave me for that one even though [b]HE[/b] was the one who left it on the hood.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Put my clipboard with 5 copies of report stuck behind paper but not clipped in on top of car while putting a juvenile in the back seat.  Drove 2 blocks and thought "hey, where's my clipboard?"  Stopped and found clipboard still on roof with paper flapping in the wind, but no reports left.  Turned around and found a trail of reports.

Another time I bagged a gun and sealed it with evidence tape and set it on the top of the car.  Drove off and heard a clunk as I remembered where the gun was.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#22]
During FTO I left a "Posse" box/clipboard on top. Got up to 35mph before it sailed away with a spray of report papers going everywhere. Stopped, turned around, and was embarassed as hell because traffic had stopped to avoid running over the papers. My FTO could not stop laughing and luckily for me did not tell other officers!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
A the station one night talking to the guys on shift(showing off my 38.super race gun) when our mutual aid dept.got a call,one of my ff set the m/a depts.radio on top of my truck.I knew when he did it i would drive off with it on top of my truck.I told him to remove the radio he said ok,with my gun in his hand.The gun is more important than the radio right?so we left it at that.Andwhat do you think i did?You are right.1000.00 worth of damage to the radio.But its funny no one knows how the radio got broke!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I left my citation book and report clip board on roof of patrol car at various times through the years. I had my Motorola MT600 Walkie Talkie come out of its holder and fall in the roadway on a traffic stop and an 18 wheeler came by and ran over it and destroyed the radio. That one really pissed the Chief off...
7th
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Left my NYC EMS issued $250 oxygen regulator on top of a patrol supervisors Suburban. I did a tour without it in my ambulance and a supervisor did a tour with it wedged under their lighbar.

I was glad when I got it back, I lose it, I pay.

No where near as much as the medic who lost a Motorola MX-330 with all the EMS/NYPD freqs in it.They dinged him for $3200!

Sherm
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, jinxed myself posting on this thread.  Week ago Friday, left my PBT on top of the car after a DUI arrest and drove off. Never did find it......
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#27]
PArtner once left a shotgun on the top of the car as he was getting in.  HELP call came out and... you know the rest.

Lucky for him a bus driver turned it into the station.  He only did a few dys off.

Personally I've only lost several cups of good coffee.

Ryan
[url]www.bluelinegear.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:32:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Left my Posse clip board on top of my unit once and scattered stuff for blocks. I got it fixed though with a pair of needle nosed pliers.
[smash]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Posse Clip board: on trunk
Ticket book: twice on hood
Lap Top: twice on roof

The clip board and ticket book were o.k., but the lap tops never did bounce too good.

[marines]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Left citation book under the light bar, but it wedged there and was able to get it two days later.

PBT on the hood of the car, in the in car video you can actually watch it fling off the hood as I am bring the arrestee to PD for intoxilyer.

Left citation book on the trunk a few years after the light bar incident.  A citizen turned it back in a few days later, but someone ran over it first.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Many years ago after a very physical arrest situation, left a portable on the trunk. Well it was gone. Several days later a guy was heading to the deaprtment a little over the speed. One of my partners stopped him, and he produced the radio, he attempted to use it to get out of the ticket. It didn't work, we got the radio back, and he received a citation. I received a butt chewing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Cups of Coffee and 1 Rem 700 that belonged to a LT made it back to the garage before we noticed it in the light rack 10ed to let them know who had it.[:o]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I went two miles down the access road and another three miles down the interstate with my wallet, cell phone and a Tom Clancy book on the roof.  The wallet and book got caught on the lightbar, but the cell phone didn't make it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PBT's do NOT bounce.
No futher.

Art in KY
View Quote

PBT's? Ummm what's that?

I've had coffee spill down my front windshield once(or twice)
View Quote

Portable Breath Test Device.

Left my tint meter, flashlight on the windshield on two seperate incidents.  Walking in the emergency lane of the freeway with my flashlight at 0100 going "f**k, f**k,"  and after and hour and a half finding the items is not a fun experience.  

That's my story.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Officer here (Spfd. MO) lost a Rem. 870 somewhere.  On the radio they said he claimed on his report that he 'hit a pothole, the trunk came open, and the shotgun bounced out'.  

Whatever...  LOL  not sure if they found it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top