Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/10/2013 8:39:13 AM EDT
To preface this there was an article in our local paper about a soldier that got drunk at a bar and decided he was going to go out in the parking lot get a gun from his car and do a mag dump in the air. Stupid soldier is stupid I got it. Let me also preface this with see my little tank I am prior service I did 6 years in the Infantry so I am not just someone flapping their gums. Anyways in the comment section of the article someone was trying to defend soldiers behavior with this quote.

Didn't take long, it's a numbers game, there are a lot of young men that get rowdy but this one happened to be a soldier. They fight for your freedoms don't forget that.

So I responded to said comment with when was the last time a soldier has fought for their freedom? Instead of answering my question they just responded with I hate America don't support the troops etc. Then when I told them I am a vet myself and wanted to know when the last time their freedoms were fought for they again avoided the question and said I probably got kicked out of the military. Whatever I suppose.  

Anyways I always hear people referring to soldiers fighting for our freedom. When was the last time our actual freedoms were in jeopardy from a foreign adversary that our soldiers had to "fight for".. WWII? Our former and present administrations have taken far more freedoms away from  us than the Taliban, Al Qaeda etc. I wish people would stop throwing that term around that really have no idea what the hell is going on. Our freedoms and natural rights are being chipped away right in front of our eyes one by one. But hey our soldiers are fighting for our freedom so all is good "merica fuck yeah!

TLDR-  Stupid soldier did stupid soldier shit. Hill Billy defended soldier because they " fight for our freedom" . Soldiers haven't fought for our freedom since WWII. The gov takes more freedom/rights than any foreign adversary will ever take.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:41:26 AM EDT
For me it is what it is.  I've never served in the military, so I'll be damned if I'm going to ever be anything but humbled and thankful for those that serve.

That's said and out of the way, there's zero fucking excuses for doing a mag dump in the air.  Criminal charges and all that....
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:42:00 AM EDT
You guessed it.  I'm in
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:43:22 AM EDT
Quoted:
Anyways in the comment section of the article someone was trying to defend soldiers behavior with this quote.
Didn't take long, it's a numbers game, there are a lot of young men that get rowdy but this one happened to be a soldier. They fight for your freedoms don't forget that.
View Quote

What's his screen name here?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:43:58 AM EDT
There's shitheads of all walks of life, in all professions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:44:00 AM EDT
I hate when stupid military members do stupid stuff, and blind patriotism takes over.  Military are people too, and should be held accountable.  I HIGHLY value the publics support of us, and do whatever I can to thank them when I can.  If I do something stupid though, the uniform I wear should not protect me from prosecution.  This is coming from a First Sergeant.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:44:06 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me it is what it is.  I've never served in the military, so I'll be damned if I'm going to ever be anything but humbled and thankful for those that serve.

That's said and out of the way, there's zero fucking excuses for doing a mag dump in the air.  Criminal charges and all that....
View Quote

There is about 15% of the army that actually fights.

The rest is super FSA types that you wouldn't believe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:44:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:46:28 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:47:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:47:13 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Its one thing to be thankful for those that serve. We and our families make huge sacrifices for our body's, relationships etc. during deployments and what not. But to say were fighting for OUR freedom is pretty ignorant. The only people that are putting our freedoms in jeopardy is our own fucking government. Not some towel head with an AK and IED's. I mean really what "freedoms" are we fighting for in Iraq/ Afghanistan. Maybe the freedom for THOSE people from their government and extremist but most of them don't want our help or even appreciate our presence. Its a big waste of time, money and american lives. All the while at the homefront our government is chipping away one right at a time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:47:43 AM EDT

Quoted:

As former MIL, I find the "I fought for your freedom" line cringeworthy.
View Quote

Amen.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:47:53 AM EDT
Quoted:

Tell me more
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more

In on one
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:48:01 AM EDT
I understand what you're saying.

The military fights for the government's interests. Hopefully that is for freedom, apple pie and Grandma, but lately that doesn't seem to be the case as much as we'd like.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:49:22 AM EDT
I respect people who have served in the military.

I don't think serving in the military excuses bad behavior.  Most of the people I know who have been in the military seem to agree with me on this point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:49:50 AM EDT
Quoted:

In on one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more

In on one

This! The amount of FSA in the Army is insane and worthy of its own discussion all together.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:49:57 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a ribbon for that?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:49:59 AM EDT
Other than wanting to go the fuck home, I didn't fight for anybody's shit in Iraq. Hajji wanted to kill me for reasons that were beyond my 20 year old comprehension, so fuck him.

Fuck that drunk mag dumping tool.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:50:20 AM EDT
was any harm done by the mag dump? No, roll over and go back to bed

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:50:26 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa. Boring thread just go interesting.

Please go on... This is about to get good....
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:50:35 AM EDT
How do you guys that served feel about the soilders that do the "surprise return" stunts in the middle of High School Football games?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:50:45 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stevesc, is that you?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:51:40 AM EDT
Respect is given when it's earned.  Someone deciding to sign on a line to potentially give his life for his country deserves some respect.

But one thing that was once great about this country was that no person, group, or institution, under any circumstances, is beyond reproach.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:51:52 AM EDT
As a member of the military, I would like to see this numbnuts hammered hard for being a jackass with a weapon like that.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:53:36 AM EDT
Quoted:
How do you guys that served feel about the soilders that do the "surprise return" stunts in the middle of High School Football games?

View Quote

99% of those deals the "soldiers" are fucking pogs that sat around on their thumbs for 9-12 months then come home and act like they just played the lead role in act of valor. I pretty much despise ANYONE that uses the uniform and their service to bring extra attention/treatment to themselves. Its a volunteer military you serve to serve not for taco bell 10% off and everyone thinking your fucking audie murphy. Do your time serve honorably and go on about your life.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:54:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:55:32 AM EDT
This is a tag.

In on one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:55:46 AM EDT
The soldier being drunk could be part of a larger problem of PTSD.
He may need some serious help.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:55:49 AM EDT
we live in a free country ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:56:19 AM EDT

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Would you care to expand on that?  Be as liberal as you possibly can...

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:56:37 AM EDT
When you join the US military you are there to serve the national interests of the United States Government. I agree with you OP.  I deployed to Somalia back in early 93, I wasnt over there getting shot at for Americas freedom I was there because the US Government told me to go!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:56:39 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

As an NCO, who gives a fuck if they fought for our freedom or not? If you break the law or do shit that endangeres the public that overshadows any good you did overseas. We are Military we should be held to a higher standard then civilians not a lower one...

To answer the original question, "when was the last time Soldiers faught for Americas freedom?" There was this thing we had to respond to 12 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:57:04 AM EDT
1 pit thread, 2 timeouts and a perma-ban.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:58:36 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure of the percentages, and I was never a soldier or marine. However, at my department we have several NG's and reserve military members. ONE was infantry, deployed, and came back to work afterwards with his head held high. There's at least a dozen other members at my department that boast about being "non-deployable" and are running all kinda of scams (like scheming for .mil disability, for no other reason than $$$). Ymmv, could be I just work at a crappy place.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:58:53 AM EDT
Like all things in life, there is Terminal Lance for that...

Monk
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:58:55 AM EDT
Quoted:

Stevesc, is that you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stevesc, is that you?

Anyone who has served knows damn well there are certain MOS that attract certain demographics. Those demographics tend to almost right away  get a permant physical profile excluding them from damn near any work besides breathing at their own pace in the corner. They also have about 10 kids and have their extended family ( aunts, uncles , grandparents) come live with them in on post housing on the taxpayers dime. Meanwhile they dont do shit at work and just use the system. And since they are of a certain demographic any time you try to do anything about it they go to EO and file a complaint and you get labeled as a racist. hmmm sounds just like another part of our government.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:59:44 AM EDT

Quoted:

we live in a free country ?
View Quote

No

But we have excellent propaganda that leads people to believe that we do.  The .mil is a part of that propaganda.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:00:47 AM EDT
Quoted:

http://terminallance.com/comics/2012-01-23-Strip_174_Breaking_News_web.gif

Monk
View Quote

Ayup
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:01:02 AM EDT

About half the military guys I know joined out of a sense of duty and patriotism.

The other half went because they had been kicked out or dropped out of school, had no jobs, and needed somewhere to go with a roof and food.

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:01:05 AM EDT
Shut up and start a revolution then. If September 11,2001 wasn't takin Americans rights away by being able to go to work and raise there families without terrorist in their way then idk what else would be a cause for war!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:01:34 AM EDT
Quoted:

As an NCO, who gives a fuck if they fought for our freedom or not? If you break the law or do shit that endangeres the public that overshadows any good you did overseas. We are Military we should be held to a higher standard then civilians not a lower one...

To answer the original question, "when was the last time Soldiers faught for Americas freedom?" There was this thing we had to respond to 12 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you mean by going to Iraq to get their WMD's because Sadam had ALOT to do with 9/11 I hear. And yes 9/11 happened we should and did respond. But going on 12 years how many lives lost and trillions of dollars. War is war not a fucking pillow fight. We should of done shock and awe in Afghanistan not Iraq. bombed the piss out of them and been done. No nation building no foreign aid none of that bull shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:01:50 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
i have been told the exact same thing by my buddies who were infantry.
I respect those who serve, but the level of respect grows for those who are 11b or other combat arms.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:02:54 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

I love them.  Joes who have been gone for a year or more, no matter what job they've done, deserve it.  Or their families deserve it, more accurately.  Plus it's good for others to see.  

YOU tell this little girl her dad's a fucking pogue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:02:55 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Douche of the month club.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:03:30 AM EDT
My younger brother is thinking of joining the military just because he can't find a decent job . Wonder if there are many more like him.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:03:43 AM EDT
Merka!

That's why.

Reading is for sodomites.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:05:01 AM EDT
Quoted:

http://terminallance.com/comics/2012-01-23-Strip_174_Breaking_News_web.gif

Monk
View Quote

There really is a TL for everything.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:05:57 AM EDT
Quoted:

this
I respect those who serve, but the level of respect grows for those who are 11b or other combat arms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

The bad part is most of the more intelligent people in the military see this and are getting frustrated by not being able to do the right thing and deal with the turds. All of the good NCO's and even officers I worked with got out. The only ones who stayed in were the FSA types. Not to say there are no good NCO's and Officers left because there is but as time goes on they are getting more and more fed up and when it comes re-up time are getting the fuck out. And we are literally being left with a FSarmy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:06:23 AM EDT
Quoted:
Interesting question.  I guess it all depdens on how you define things.  Indirectly, fighting a proxy war in SE Asia as part of a larger conflict against a global adversary who wants to defeat your way of life CAN obviously be framed as fighting for the peoples' freedom, since it's part of a bigger picture.

But, specifically, the last last truly clear-cut example of American soldiers directly fighting for the freedom of US citizen was probably the war of 1812.  

View Quote

Not based on what I've read. The last person to die for my anything was Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:06:30 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you really think that?  OK, maybe 2-4% of any given organization is fluff, but to say "the rest" is over the top.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:07:36 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  Anyone who works for government, be they the SF or the local trash collector, should be held to a higher standard because it is through them that the government gets its reputation.

And, as for the thing we responded to 12 yrs ago, the response seems to have had an opposite effect.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top