Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2008 5:42:15 AM EDT
Seems like my gas mileage is getting shittier over the past few months and several other people have said the same thing to me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got an all time high in my Civic yesterday.

43mpg from Utah to Colorado Springs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Seems like my gas mileage is getting shittier over the past few months and several other people have said the same thing to me.

Ethanol hammered me for a 12% reduction...

Ford Taurus SEL with Duratec....

Sucks...

CPO SWCC US Navy (Retired)
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Summer gas blend and 10% corn juice.

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Not me.  My Dodge truck seems to have found its happy place.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Where's that?  In the garage?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a conspiracy! The oil companies turned on their hidden gas mileage reducer devices that have been installed in all our cars.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+10

Ethanol use will result in a 10% drop in mileage per gallon.  Which is ironic because ethanol is mixed into gasoline to help ease the shortage.  Yet using it causes a driver to purchase more gasoline because getting less miles per gallon has people hitting the pumps to fill up more often.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#8]
My Contour with a 2.5L V6 Duratec has taken a hit.  I used to get way over the advertised MPG of the car which is pretty low.  Now I'm getting a couple MPG less than advertised.  This happened over the course of the spring.  It was a gradual decline in MPG for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+10

Ethanol use will result in a 10% drop in mileage per gallon.  Which is ironic because ethanol is mixed into gasoline to help ease the shortage.  Yet using it causes a driver to purchase more gasoline because getting less miles per gallon has people hitting the pumps to fill up more often.

We're so fucked  10%
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a conspiracy! The oil companies turned on their hidden gas mileage reducer devices that have been installed in all our cars.

I have a fresh package of tin foil...

Need some...?

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Need some...?

sure I'll take a roll
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My POS explorer is still getting 18 in the city.

I drive like a dead grandma though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Last year my mileage got steadily better into the summer, and took a dive in the winter.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I think my mileage dropped a little with the switch to ULSD, but it's hard to say because I had been using biodiesel for a while so it's not like I saw a sudden change when the fuel switched.  But anyway, I had been getting 42 for the last 6 months, and I slowed down a little and now my last three tanks were 47.25, 47.98, and 45.6 driving around town here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#15]
i get any where between 21-27 mpg depending on what station. 98 ford Taurus
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That shit is funny!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#17]
That increased ethanol shit costs me 1.5mpg!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last year my mileage got steadily better into the summer, and took a dive in the winter.

Mine tends to do the exact opposite
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Conspiracy, no.  Gas company sticking in the ass of Americans a little further, yes.  

Increase the price and lower the effeciency of gasoline.  Even though it's an asshole thing to do, it makes sense to me and I can believe that.

-X
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe they are adding water or some other shit to the gas. At current prices it wouldn't surprise me a bit. Make sure you got your tires inflated right, clean air filter and keep your speed around 60 on the highway to get max mileage.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Conspiracy, no.  Gas company sticking in the ass of Americans a little further, yes.  

Increase the price and lower the effeciency of gasoline.  Even though it's an asshole thing to do, it makes sense to me and I can believe that.

-X
Its actually the EPA & state environmental agencies that mandates the special blends. The gas companies would much prefer to give everybody the exact same 87 & 93 octane, but noooo, the politicians know better than the people that make the dinosaur juice.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#22]
no 10% eth crap in the gas near me but I did fill up a tank of the crap at a cheapo gas station upstate. I didnt notice any difference though. Wasnt enough to matter anyway.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That increased ethanol shit costs me 1.5mpg!

The amount of ethanol in gas remains pretty much the same all year round, at least among the "TOP TIER" (i.e., Chevron, Conoco, Phillips, Union 76, Shell & Texaco) brands.

1.3.1.2 Base Fuel.   The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.
2. Contain no less than 8 volume percent olefins. At least 75% of the olefins shall be derived from FCC gasoline as defined by CARB (advisory letter, April 19, 2001).
3. Contain no less than 28 volume percent aromatics.
4. Contain no less than 48 mg/kg sulfur. At least 60% of the sulfur shall be derived from FCC blend stock.
5. Produce a 90% evaporation distillation temperature no less than 290°F.
6. Produce IVD no less than 500 mg averaged over all intake valves.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The amount of ethanol in gas remains pretty much the same all year round, at least among the "TOP TIER" (i.e., Chevron, Conoco, Phillips, Union 76, Shell & Texaco) brands.

1.3.1.2 Base Fuel.   The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.
2. Contain no less than 8 volume percent olefins. At least 75% of the olefins shall be derived from FCC gasoline as defined by CARB (advisory letter, April 19, 2001).
4. Contain no less than 48 mg/kg sulfur. At least 60% of the sulfur shall be derived from FCC blend stock.

How dare you ruin my theory with your fancy "facts"....I'm going to sue you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Keep tires inflated to maximum mpg pressures
Clean/ new air filter
Synthetic lubricants
Stay off ther brake pedal
Time the traffic signals

repeat...
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Probably because you are buying gas that contains Ethanol in it, you get less miles from it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I have noticed but I chalked it up to running the AC. Its been hot as hell, humid and I do alot of highway driving so I have been running the AC alot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Does this mean all "base fuel" has ~10% ethanol?  I actually had my commute vehicle's fuel economy reduced from 24 mpg to 19 mpg when I switched to buying Shell gas on the way to work.  Then, I saw the "Contains up to 10% ethanol" label on the pump and switched back to Quick Trip.  I now get my 24 mpg again.  Quick Trip claims to be Top Tier rated in their advertising.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I cranked the tire pressure up to 80psi on my '98 Tahoe.

It's getting better gas mileage and coasts like it's on ball bearings.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#31]
The weather will have a small impact too... Last week when it was cool I was getting 55.6  MPG.  This week in the heat and rain it is 49.  That's over 10% drop, but the rain was heavy on one trip.

Speed is another factor...  Kept it down.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats were my dodge is, hasn't moved in two months
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I've gone from a spring average of 31mpg up to 33mpg consistently over the last 3 or 4 tanks of gas in my Civic. Must be it likes the heat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#34]
My AWD V6 RAV4 went from 21.2mpg city to 23.4mpg. The only change is I lightened my right foot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Need some...?

Fuck no!  The new stuff is made by international conglomerates controlled by Them, and has been designed to amplify, not shield, the mind-control devices!

I want a roll of the old stuff, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Well I've noticed people that drive the speed limit aren't complaining about gas mileage around here (surprise surprise). Even my 91' Dodge Dakota is getting reasonable gas mileage driving around town.

Its the people that haul ass all over the place in their escalades that end up paying $100 a week on gas..
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Funny, but I was just noticing that about my Tahoe.  The summer blend thing makes sense as many have stated.

Of course when you go from 13 to 12 mpg's, it doesn' really matter much
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Keep tires inflated to maximum mpg pressures
Clean/ new air filter
Synthetic lubricants
Stay off ther brake pedal
Time the traffic signals

repeat...

"Time the traffic signals" my ass...

You're a proud Texan...

Fuck those signals...

Nobody here in the metromess lets those pesky signals stop them...

Live free!!

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#39]
It's the Ethanol.
Buy Premium gas, it doesn't have Ethanol, at least around here it doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Demand ethanol free gas........
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Our state is considering a class action suit for the blended juice. Why you ask becasue they are not selling what is advertised at the pump and its costing us more.

I will find a link.

ETA found it

Here

It also seems this super fuel ethanol could be destroying your plastic lines etc in older cars because its corrosive. Gota check your owners manual to see if yours was designed for it.

Links in a few.

One quick read

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok...

The little MPG display on your car... It's a guess.. NOT ACCURATE! It's just like all the other gauges on your dash.. They make you feel good but by no means are they accurate enough to base fuel mileage by.

To the people who record the number of miles between fill ups and calculate that way..

Again not accurate. There are far too many variables for you to even come close to 10% accuracy. Just not going to happen!

The ONLY accurate measurement I have seen was the CARB lab I used to work in at Edelbrock. A $2 Million room where EVERYTHING is controlled. To the point of a room full of compressed gases to keep the o2 and Co2 at a constant in the test lab.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#44]
I get the worst gas mileage during the summer and it is all because of the environmentally correct gas that we have to use during the summer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man, that is funny!!!!!!   hahahahahah!!!!!

vmax84
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To the people who record the number of miles between fill ups and calculate that way..

Again not accurate. There are far too many variables for you to even come close to 10% accuracy. Just not going to happen!

How is that not relatively accurate?  Assuming that your tire/wheel size is factory, and you fill up to the same level every time.  Are you saying that odometers are less than 90% accurate?

I can see how there would be some error, but how would it not even be able to "come close to 10% accuracy"?

Mine is pretty damn accurate unless there is a hole in my take. I do the math some times to double check and its always the same as my dash reads.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is that not relatively accurate?  Assuming that your tire/wheel size is factory, and you fill up to the same level every time.  Are you saying that odometers are less than 90% accurate?

I can see how there would be some error, but how would it not even be able to "come close to 10% accuracy"?

There are just too many variables to account for.
Your driving habits play the biggest role. These is no way you can match your style of driving to a point where you can blame a 10% loss on the gasoline you buy. Just because you lost 10, 20% MPG doesn't mean its the gas.

How do you know it's the same level every time?

Even if you go by the pump the daily changes in specific gravity of the gasoline you a pumping.

Is the e-vap system on the car purged? Is it full of fuel because you topped off a little much?

I am not saying you can not notice a 10% loss in MPG. I am saying there is no way to blame it on the fuel without very controlled settings.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
It's the Ethanol.

If it's from Chevron, Conoco, Phillips, Union 76, Shell, Texaco or one of the other brands that complies with "Top Tier" specs, it does indeed contain 8 to 10 percent Ethanol.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
It's the Ethanol.

Just an FYI. I buy Premium gas and the pump is marked 10% Ethanol. That's in PA.  

TT
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+10

Most places have winter blends. I have never heard of a summer blend. Some places keep the ethanol content high year round.

Also, your theory of a 10% drop is not supported. The 10% ethanol blend that a lot of states use in the winter has only shown a 6% decrease in performance when compared to straight gasoline in EPA tests.

In the end it all depends on the distributor your gas stations use. Here in Las Vegas all of the big name places Chevron, Texaco, Shell, and Arco all buy the same fuel from the same CA distributor and then add their own additives. Rebel stations and the mom and pop type stations all tend to get their gas from another distributor that has less ethanol and environmental additives to start with. I worked with a mechanics that had pinging problems with his truck with Chevron/Texaco gas but not with Rebel gas. Another coworker had the same problem.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top