Posted: 10/12/2005 4:46:22 PM EDT
Ah the good ole' days...

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Syscon is your friend!

People always bitched about the bindery..dunno why

Tho, NDS was a quantum leap forward. Too bad Novell couldn't pry loose MS

For file and print...nothing beat it.

Hell, I remember reading a decade or so ago, they did http tests, linux at the time vs netware vs ms....(unix didn't factor in )...netware spanked 'em all in load, throughput, requests serviced, etc..

Ahh, the good old days.

I think I still have 3.12 media and licenses around somewhere...hmmmm....

ETA: Got my CNE when I was 18 or so...1993? 1994? around there.  I used to know quite a bit about it..
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It's funny when M$ "comes out with something new" for active directory that Novell had over 5 years ago
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's funny when M$ "comes out with something new" for active directory that Novell had over 5 years ago

Exactily...tho, to be honest, Banyan Vines had Netware beat in the enterprise directory market

Too bad it sucked from every other possible standpoint

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Netware 3.12 was indestructable.

NetWare 4 was impossible to keep running.

IntraNetWare was fairly solid...

...and then came Windows NT.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Many moons ago when I was a help desk noob.  We were running Novell file servers, I hardly remember any of it though.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, a blast from the past.

I was actually (still am I guess) a certified Novell NetWare 4 Administrator.  It's all been long forgotten but those were the good ol' days.  Upgrading from 3.12 to 4 ... IPX/SPX protocol in Windows For Workgroups ... ah memories.

LL
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Meh, NFS pwns yuo all.

We just managed to pry a client’s cold, dead, clutching fingers off of Zenworks… Not more than three months ago. Ahhh, the good old days.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Netware 3.12 was indestructable.

NetWare 4 was impossible to keep running.

IntraNetWare was fairly solid...

...and then came Windows NT.

Never had a problem with 4.11...so long as the admin did his job, especially in caring for large nets with more than 2-3 NDS replicas, it was pretty easy to keep running. It just required watching after...

3.12, though, you could set up and walk away from, and it'd run forever. My parents had a 3.11 network running for almost a full decade, with no admin at all. They wouldn't pay me to take care of it, so I didn't With a grand total of 4 users...it didn't need any work
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
There's no telling how many thousands of frustrating hours I wasted tinkering with config.sys and autoexec.bat on about ~750 DOS machines I setup to try to get enough free low memory when loading the Novell drivers.   There's no telling how many billions of dollars of time Microsoft wasted due to their garbage software.  I went from working about 70 hours per week to about 15 hours per week after replacing the Microsoft clients with Linux machines all connected to Novell servers in 1995.  That was a great day.  Until a couple of years ago we still had a pair of Novell servers.z
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I started with 2.x (that was a PITA).

3.1x was the shit!  Bulletproof as all hell.  I had 60+ clients running EVERYTHING off a P90/128MB RAM without a hitch or hiccup.  Could gen up a 3.x server in minutes flat in those days.

Never really got into 4.x that much as moved away from corporate stuff into end user/consumer land when it started picking up steam.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn I am glad that shit is gone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactily...tho, to be honest, Banyan Vines had Netware beat in the enterprise directory market

Too bad it sucked from every other possible standpoint

True, Street Talk was the first true directory, but eDirectory blew that away. You're right, everything else about Banyan BLEW
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Damn I am glad that shit is gone.

hahaha.. 6.5 is badass
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The only time I ever see Netware servers anymore is when I'm turning them off for the last time.  I turned one off at a school in Illinois about 1998 that no one had the admin password for, it had been running for at least 3 years without any intervention.

Back in about 92 I remember working for a consulting company in Indiana, there was a guy there who must have had a Novell logo tattooed on his ass.  I remember him telling me that this Windows thing was a fad and it would surely crumble under the awesome power of Netware.  I wonder what he does for a living now.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Good ol'd days :-). CNE3 and CNE4. Had a LOT of companies pissed when they went from 3.x to 4.x and it wasn't as stable.

Remember getting my CNE3 when there wasn't the plethora of 3rd party books to study. Same when I did the original NT 3.51  MCSE. Also did the NT 4 MCSE, but right after that, the schools started churning out the paper certs and the value of having them dropped in the bucket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top