Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 6:49:28 PM EDT
Hearing relatives my age or younger and strangers of all types openly cuss like sailers around their children or in public inspired me to post this thread.
Me, I never cuss around the above, unless it is a slip.
At work or with friends, nothing is sacred.
Anyway, just wonder if anyone else out there is turned off with nasty talk around the above, but can say some crazy shit among others.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I do my very best not to, period. But especially around them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I was a sailor & I cuss a lot.  I try not to cuss around children, strangers, or people doing their jobs.

All else is fair game.  If someone doesn't like the way I talk they are free to leave.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
my strongest cuss word might be a very rare "dammit", and by rare I mean extremely

And I'm in the construction industry where eloquent cussing can sometimes be appreciated

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I try not to in general.  

Exceptions are made under extreme provocation, or to get someone's attention.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have cussed once in front of my father, nearly 30 years ago. I haven't made that mistake since.

We tried to not swear around our boys, but the 3yo has dropped a few timely f-bombs lately.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I try to keep it rated G when around other people in general.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Only around my very close Male friends.  Even then, not in a crowd.

We would all be better off if we cut that shit out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only around my very close Male friends.  Even then, not in a crowd.

We would all be better off if we cut that shit out.
View Quote

You fucking said it...couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
My parents and most of my siblings are devout Mormons, so yeah, I keep it in check. Have only slipped a couple times.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I cuss like a drunken sailor around my mom and dad. Mom taught me my foul language. My grand parents have all passed although I would not cuss around them.

Nieces and nephews were all surprised by my restraint after an encounter they witnessed with a rich and vibrant culture. Keep in mind the nieces and nephews are 9, 7, 5, and 3. The nine year old gave me mad props for my restraint when their mom came to pick them up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I try, but it's more a "what am I doing?" situation.

Work/professional/polite situations:  I don't cuss and I talk respectably.  

Home/woods/informal/etc:  I talk how I want.  

If kids can't be around adults who cuss, how are they going to be adults around adults who cuss?  Learning how to interact with people is part of being a kid.  Sheltering your child because you think that you are going to prevent them from cussing is stupid.  You don't cuss around them because you don't want them speaking improperly in improper settings.

Wouldn't it be better to just teach them how/when, instead of thinking that children should be put in a padded room where nothing bad ever happens?  Because when you padded-room someone, you get the society we have now.  Full of a bunch of people who have no idea about the world but think that they do.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Grandparents are all gone, my mom lets a "Dammit" slip every once in a while while I've only heard my dad swear twice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]

I was in the Navy for 20 years and have heard more than my fair share of cursing.

Never once did I think that it made the person sound more intelligent.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't swear around kids or polite company, because I'm not an animal and can control my impulses.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I try not to.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
My family is cool with it as it is nothing but words. I watch my mouth around friends and other family members when I know they don't cuss. Time, place, respect are all factors.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I do not cuss in front of my kid, mom, or strangers.  I let them fly at work.  I have to.  I helps keep me sane.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#20]
In public I don't.

around kids, I don't.

Parents, that innocence is long gone, unfortunately.

At work and in private though, you're god damn right I do! I've got a salty mouth. It's just the way I am. I don't know how it came about, but it did. I wouldn't even say a swear word until I was 18, out of fear for the soap, but after that I guess some shit happened and now I say a lot of bad words.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Kids, and strangers.  Every other situation is fucking fair game.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#23]
friends and wife only. nobody else ever hears me swear. Wish i could stop all together damnit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I tend to keep it under wraps when elders and the youngsters are around.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#25]
At home there is no cussing in front of my mom, inlaws, kids and other people's kids.

I work in the logistics side of construction so at the office all we do is curse.  Everyday conversations with my boss sound like the George Carlin routine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Not around my parents (unless I'm quoting someone), religious relatives, kids, or strangers. Funny how it can be "switched off" just like that when its unsuitable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]
The only time that I have ever cussed was when my front detent pin flew into the hamster full of clothes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Since I've become an adult I don't censor myself in front of my parents, after all I learned it from them . I do my best to keep it clean around my kid (and others), especially in public, nothing is more embarrassing than being in public and one of your friends with no filter is cussing up a storm, time and place for everything and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Great meal Mom....

Would you please pass the fucking potatoes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got demoted at work for saying the F-word, so I'm gonna make a real effort to not curse.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I try to keep it rated G when around other people in general.
View Quote

This

It shows you have Class and self control

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The only time that I have ever cussed was when my front detent pin flew into the hamster full of clothes.
View Quote

How big is your hamster that you can keep clothes in it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#33]
English is such a rich and complex language;
why would anyone choose to demonstrate their

ignorance of it by cursing?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I cuss more than I should.

However I'm very cautious about the crowd I do it in.     Enough so that I've had people both chew me out for not "speaking my mind" and also huge concealed snickers when I get halfway through a word and change it into something else.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#35]
me. I don't around family, kids, or work folks and don't like to hear it from others. I do cuss however when I am out hanging with friends.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was a sailor & I cuss a lot.  I try not to cuss around children, strangers, or people doing their jobs.

All else is fair game.  If someone doesn't like the way I talk they are free to leave.
View Quote

Same here except I wasn't a sailor but use too salty of language at times. I have a very impressionable toddler so I'm away of what I say most times, still I've let a damn, shit of or fuck fly a few times. I immediately tell my son that was a bad word and I shouldn't have used it and tan his hide if he does but I'm a lot better than I was a couple of years ago. Really, sometimes a well placed Fuck gets someone's (an adults) attention.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#37]
profanity has its place.

i don't cuss around mom, but things with dad are a little more relaxed.  i censor myself around young children, but i don't cringe in remorse if i let "shit" slip out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't normally. Just not comfortable cursing around people esp. in mixed company unless we know each other really well. Something along the lines of "yeah, he's a douche nozzle" or something. Nothing really heavy. There are some I just won't come out with like c**t. Just way over the top for me. Most other times, it's just reactionary to something stupid like "are you fu**ing with me?"

Now with driving, that's a whole different thing. I'm like Mister Magoo on steroids with a doctorate in colorful adjectives and combinations of various pronouns. A lot of sign language to.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Parents and male Grandparents/relatives yes...that's exactly the people I got my extensive vocabulary from and all of them are former military so they don't care. Grandmothers and small kids it depends..my cousin and his wife don't cuss around there kids so I don't either.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I only cuss on ARFCOM (because I'm an internet badass), so I guess that means I cuss in front of kids.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I try not to but when I'm not around kids I cuss like a fucking sailor that stumped his cunt toe.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I slip from time to time, but mostly keep it clean unless amongst a group of my peers. Spare the young ones and elders.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Great meal Mom....

Would you please pass the fucking potatoes.
View Quote

You laugh,  I did that just out of Marine Corps infantry school when I went home for Thanksgiving,  "Please pass the F'n butter"    I got a look of daggers from mom.  That was when I realized I need to be much more careful about that being an everyday language.  Years later I work in law enforcement so it's still locker room talk like that but at least I have the on-off regulated.  

So no, I don't swear in front of my parents, old folks and children or even strangers.   My boss says i swear a lot in the car when it's just us.   He does too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Get back to me when you have a teenage son.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I try to teach my nephews cuss words, my sisters and sister in laws don't appreciate it but my brothers and BILs choke down a smile.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I used to cuss like crazy, every other word was F***, now that I am getting older I try not to cuss at all.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Ive been struggling with my potty mouth lately. No excuse for it.Im powerless over my languge.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Hell, there isn't a such thing as trying to refrain from vulgarity when interacting with any one outside of my closest group of friends in strict privacy of one of our homes and only when the mood calls for that type of chatter, let alone around the people of the demographic you've mentioned OP.

Fuck, fucking people suck. lol

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't cuss around those it is not appropriate around.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top