Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 4:15:16 PM EDT
Because this guy is (or should be) over here as well.

After seeing so much Utopian drivel written over there this post was a real

yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/09/21/2155250.shtml?tid=123&tid=126&tid=1

The solution is to move money over from welfare (Score:2)

by ShatteredDream (636520) on Tuesday September 21, @07:54PM (#10314481)
(http://www.blindmindseye.com/)

Cut the welfare budget by 50% at a minimum and transfer the money over in each state to building more courts, hiring more prosecutors, judges and public defenders (good ones) and pass laws requiring the police to prioritize all property crimes above anything specious like drug crimes. Why? It'll kill two birds with one stone: slow trial dockets and much of the poverty in America.

What I am talking about isn't the shrill left wing bullshit of "OMG they want to lock up all the poor people" but rather a strict libertarianization of Giuliani's "Broken Windows" enforcement program. The idea is that you prosecute all minor property offenses and you treat even something as simple as an inner city teen stealing an inner city child's bike as a "gateway crime." It does two things: tries to nip the problem of repeat offenders in the bud by showing them the law always applies, and it shows the poor that the law can work for them just like the rich.

Without strong property protections, the poor don't have an incentive to believe that hard work really pays off. For every cop that genuinely believes that they have a moral imperative to protect that inner city single mother and her kids' property, there are probably 5 that feel that it's "not worth it the trouble to the tax payers." To which I, as a voting Libertarian, have to ask, "then WTF am I doing paying your salary and letting you hide behind a badge?" Seriously, sometimes with this kind of attitude I think we'd be better off in most areas in America with firing 90% of the cops and letting the average law abiding citizen own military-grade infantry weapons and waste any mofo that tries to steal from them. As Heinlein said, an armed society, is a polite society.

Seriously, just cut the welfare programs, gun control laws, let people use force to defend their property and make the cops accountable for when they don't do a damn thing to take down petty property rights offenders. Within a few years, the poverty in much of the urban areas in America will sharply decline, along with the crime rates, especially the violent crime.

ETA: Another one!

Re:Killing people is evil. (Score:1)

by Bull999999 (652264) on Tuesday September 21, @07:31PM (#10314285)

IT IS NOT NORMAL. Let's all boycot the United States and everything that comes out of it until they stop this unpleasant practice.

It's interesting how people and governments talk big but never put money where their mouth is.

Example 1: When Secretary of Defense also announced that starting this year, the U.S. European Command would begin moving most if not all of its active combat and support units from bases in Germany to others being established in Poland, The Czech Republic, Hungary and Turkey, the business and government leaders in the German states of Hesse, Rhineland and Wurttemburg, protested the loss of nearly $6 billion in revenue each year from the bases and manpower to be displaced. You'd figure the Germans would be happy to get rid of the US military off of their land, but I guess not when money is involved.

Example 2: Puerto Rican Island of Vieques was used by the Navy for bombing exercises until massive protests, including participation by Reverend Al Sharpton, Mrs. Jesse Jackson, Joan Baez, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Edward Olomos, Michael Moore and Ramsey Clark, just to name a few. Hillary Clinton, then running for the U.S. Senate in New York, chastised the U.S. Navy for not bowing to the "will of the citizens of Puerto Rico," until her husband, a week before the election, issued an executive order to phase out the facility by 2003, despite recommendations to the contrary by his own Secretary of Defense and the Chief of Naval Operations. In January, many of the protesters were back in Puerto Rico, celebrating the final bombing exercise on Vieques and waved Puerto Rican flags and placards that read "U.S. Navy, get out of Puerto Rico." On February 21, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld announced that the U.S. Navy will close the Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in Puerto Rico in 2004, eliminating 1200 civilian jobs as well as 700 military positions. This naval facility is estimated to put nearly $300 million annually into the local economy. The next day a stunned Governor Sila Calderon, held a news conference in San Juan, protesting the base closure as a serious blow to Commonwealth's fragile economy. The governor stated that "The people of Puerto Rico don't now or never did have an interest in closing the Vieques bombing range or the Roosevelt Roads naval base. My government is interested in both staying in Puerto Rico." When asked, Admiral Robert J. Natter, Commander-in Chief, Western Atlantic Command, said, "Without Vieques, I see no further need for the facility at Roosevelt Roads.

Example 3: France is nagging at US to do more for the world AIDS epidemic and poverty. Will France start to cut it's own social programs to increase fundings AIDS research and aid to the needy? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Frequent reader(too frequent) occasional poster. I don't read frequently enough to show up early for the political flamewars, usually, but I do post enough and have some karma that I get to moderate status every few weeks.

Anti-gunners usually get slapped down pretty quickly, but general debates are so worthless that I usually skip the comments.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
read it all the time.

but yeah thers alot of utupia crap but its still instersting to read.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
damn double post
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I read all the time, but only rarely post anything and even when I do it's as an AC because I've never registered.  They've got great technical articles but I avoid anything political because there's jsut too many college kids on there who -think- they know how the world works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top