Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 2:46:03 PM EDT
Got a report that a server was running slowly. Jumped on to see this under CPU utilization:

Logs show nothing was happening at the time.

My response was:

Dunno.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It could be a driver problem  , that is where I would start IMO .
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Database Query ?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
that pattern means this:

That means you need a bigger boat.

Other than that, I got nothing.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
At least help us out enough to tell us what OS is on the server, and what it's duties are...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

At least help us out enough to tell us what OS is on the server, and what it's duties are...

Sorry, I figured the candy coat would be enough.

Mac OSX 10.5.8 Server.

It is running MySQL, Webserver and file sharing.

Not that that helps anything.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#6]
was mysql running a vacuum process, or a re-indexing?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Any automated tasks set up in MySQL? Maybe table index optimization or backup/replication?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]
if it was memory, i'd say it was a memory leak.

i've never seen cpu usage climb stair like that, but only not busy or straight to the ceiling.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

if it was memory, i'd say it was a memory leak.

i've never seen cpu usage climb stair like that, but only not busy or straight to the ceiling.

It was CPU usage.
The climb occurred over about 1.5 hours, then that nice wave pattern for a few more. Then it just stops. Logs show nothing.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

was mysql running a vacuum process, or a re-indexing?

Not according to anything I can see. Drive activity, network access was damn near flat line during this time.

I have NEVER seen this, never.
Maybe it become self aware...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#11]
One-time event (shrug) or periodic?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This is it. You see that perfect slow escalation?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#13]
does the sql server have a query log??

maybe someone ran some odd recursive query or perhaps something like a regex expression that got caught in a backtrace.

i only say that because a regex that got caught in a backtrace would not use disk/network or memory usage, but would use a lot of cpu usage. ... I think.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do; it's ringing no bells.  By periodic I meant (should have been clearer) was it an event that occurred once yesterday, never seen before or since –– which is clearly what I think you're saying.  It's interesting enough that if it was periodically recurring, you could meter the hell out of the system.

Sorry, not a Mac guy at all.  So the normal tools I'd suggest for a real-time analysis (top to figure out which process(es) looked strange; strace -f -p $PID -o $OUTPUT_FILE to attach and try to snag a clue [or truss or dtrace or ...) may not help.

NimmerMehr's suggestion about a bad regex is interesting; on the other hand, I would expect a much steeper curve for that sort of cause.   I have also seen VMs and their launched applications slowly chew up CPU and/or memory.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#15]
The timeline on the bottom part of the screenshot is very blurry.

It appears that the server was being used during business hours and ramped up accordingly, as well as dropped off as the work day finished.

What is on that server?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

does the sql server have a query log??

maybe someone ran some odd recursive query or perhaps something like a regex expression that got caught in a backtrace.

i only say that because a regex that got caught in a backtrace would not use disk/network or memory usage, but would use a lot of cpu usage. ... I think.

Nobody besides me in the building would know how to do that, nor would they need to. The SQL logs do not reflect anything like this.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do; it's ringing no bells.  By periodic I meant (should have been clearer) was it an event that occurred once yesterday, never seen before or since –– which is clearly what I think you're saying.  It's interesting enough that if it was periodically recurring, you could meter the hell out of the system.

Sorry, not a Mac guy at all.  So the normal tools I'd suggest for a real-time analysis (top to figure out which process(es) looked strange; strace -f -p $PID -o $OUTPUT_FILE to attach and try to snag a clue [or truss or dtrace or ...) may not help.

NimmerMehr's suggestion about a bad regex is interesting; on the other hand, I would expect a much steeper curve for that sort of cause.   I have also seen VMs and their launched applications slowly chew up CPU and/or memory.

Sorry, I know what you meant. I meant to say, this has only happened this one time.

There are no VM's on this bad boy. The damn thing is bizarre. But you have to love that wave after the initial climb.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It appears that the server was being used during business hours and ramped up accordingly, as well as dropped off as the work day finished.

What is on that server?

Did even you read the thread?

The only thing most people use this server for is file access and it serves a Gallery 2 photo library. There was no activity during the time from any outside source. No SQL activity in the logs, no disk activity at the time, no network activity...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mac OSX 10.5.8 Server.

Sorry, that's the theme I use with webmin with most of the servers I have to tinker with.

Check your cron logs. Might be something noted there during the timeframe of the resource hogging.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mac OSX 10.5.8 Server.

Sorry, that's the theme I use with webmin with most of the servers I have to tinker with.

Check your cron logs. Might be something noted there during the timeframe of the resource hogging.

Already looked, nothing.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is on that server?

The only thing most people use this server for is file access and it serves a Gallery 2 photo library. There was no activity during the time from any outside source. No SQL activity in the logs, no disk activity at the time, no network activity...

We had a problem at our work with part of the Mac OS called "Spotlight".

It would start indexing at times and would slow down the whole shebang.  

Don't tase me if you already considered this.

ETA: I just recalled having yet another problem with a RAID issue involving something called "Allow Host Cache Flushing."  It was something you could disable.  Check your RAID admin if applicable.  Do a searcheroo on it.  

Again,
Tase me gently.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is on that server?

We had a problem at our work with part of the Mac OS called "Spotlight".

It would start indexing at times and would slow down the whole shebang.  

Don't tase me if you already considered this.

ETA: I just recalled having yet another problem with a RAID issue involving something called "Allow Host Cache Flushing."  It was something you could disable.  Check your RAID admin if applicable.  Do a searcheroo on it.  

Again,

Tase me gently.

Spotlight... I will have to check that. The "RAID" system is shit anyway, but I see no activity there.

I don't use these fucking things. These Xservers were an abortion of a mistake, fucking pieces of shit. I would list the official reasons that they were purchased over something better and cheaper, but your heads would explode.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#23]
These Xservers were an abortion of a mistake, fucking pieces of shit. I would list the official reasons that they were purchased over something better and cheaper, but your heads would explode.

Apple always fails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top