Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2002 3:01:08 PM EDT
To begin - I can't believe I'm actually asking [i]you[/i] guys about this.  [;)]

I had a first date with a very nice looking gal, she owns a Sig and a shotgun, has a CCW but I was surprised that she's a vegetarian.  Any of you that know me know I'm a tried and true Texas meat-eater.  

One of the things I really like to do for a date (that I [i]like[/i]) is to cook a nice big meal for her.  Pretty much without exception my "specialties" all have a hunk of meat in the center.  Not to mention, again, that I frequently use my incisors.  [:)]

So seriously, if any of y'all have ever dated or married a vegetarian, where/are there any significant problems with her eating habits?

Thanks for the input,
CMOS
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's gonna be hard as hell but you can always cook her a "good" vegetarian meal for a date.

Just add a little beef for yours.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I dated one... ONCE. After I found out she was a vegetarian, we had a LONG discussion about eating meat. It didn't go very well, so both agreed that this wasn't going to work and parted ways.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I ate one once... does that count?

M&M sweets are launched in military ration packs. Colonel Sanders' recipe is launched for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Nylon stocking introduced. Freeze drying process discovered. CBS makes the world's first TV broadcast in colour. Bugs Bunny debuts in "A wild hare."
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Serious responses - pleeeease.

CMOS [:)]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm married to one...

well actually now she occasionally will eat some meat - a little chicken or beef.

This is probably because she is still nursing a baby but she'll probably revert (again).

Most meat in general disgust her.

It is hard at times and she is a bit picky as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
beekeeper,

Yeah, I know that.  She seems to be pretty nice gal in many other ways (gun owner, CCW, very nice looking) but damn - a vegetarian?? [:O]

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my close friends is a vegetarian. She feels very strongly about not harming animals, and is a member of PETA.

I used to harass her when she joined PETA, since at that time she still had a lot of leather shoes/jackets/etc.

Now she tries VERY hard not to buy products made out of animal skin. She follows her beliefs very strongly, and I think that's why we get along so well. She is not willing to compromise on meat eating, just as I am not willing to compromise on gun rights.

She is the nicest person you could meet, and never has anything negative to say about anyone.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Omnivorous
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to be a vegetarian if that counts for anything.  

You need to find out why she does not eat meat.  I did it for health reasons, as I was into endurance training.  Some vegetarians just don't want any creatures harmed.  If she is a bunny hugger, there could be problems.  They tend to pass judgement on omnivors.  I know a few vegetarian girls that dated onmivors for some time.  You may need to adapt your cooking to have meat as a side dish.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I aint touching any woman that doesnt accept tubesteak as a part of a healthy eating regiment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
mejames,

Did you say "meat as a [i]side[/i] dish"????

You're kidding, right?

CMOS [;)]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of my close friends is a vegetarian. She feels very strongly about not harming animals, and is a member of PETA.

I used to harass her when she joined PETA, since at that time she still had a lot of leather shoes/jackets/etc.

Now she tries VERY hard not to buy products made out of animal skin. She follows her beliefs very strongly, and I think that's why we get along so well. She is not willing to compromise on meat eating, just as I am not willing to compromise on gun rights.

View Quote

That is just plain STUPID. Talk about having a problem with life!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Nother nice thing about vegetarianism is that vegetarian women are far more likely to give birth to sons with malformed penises. How lovely! [:(!]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I've dated a couple of vegetarians.  Both of them were vegetarians simply because of health reasons.  None of them were members of PETA and or gave a crap what I ate.  The only problems came about when picking retaurants that we could both enjoy, also meant no fast food as most of the stuff is fried in animal fat. If you want to cook for her, try some Indian recipes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
CMOS,

I've been married to a vegetarian for 18 years (I'm not).

I recommend you find out what type of vegetarian she is (really - there are different types). Lacto-oval vegetarians will eat eggs and milk products (doesn't kill the donor). Others will also eat fish (not considered a "meat"). The strictest is vegan - vegetables only with no animal-related products (that includes honey - they view it as bee slavery).

Next, do a web search for vegetarian recipes. Vege pizza, quiche, vege sandwiches, eggplant parmesan, vege/egplant lasagna, pasta with marinara or alfredo sauce - lots of stuff for vegetarians to eat. In the grocery store there are various brands of soy based bacon and sausage links, vege/garden burgers, and soy/gluten-based chicken breast strips. There are also recipes for scratch-made patties that are a cross between potato pancakes and thanksgiving dressing (actually pretty tasty).

To keep the peace, I do the vege stuff at home, and "real food" when away (yes, I'm P-whipped). What she doesn't know about won't hurt me. Just thinking about it makes me want to slip out for an In-N-Out double-double and fries.

www.vegetarianrecipes.com

edit to add web site
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Tell her:

"If God wanted humans to be vegetarians...He wouldn't have made animals out of meat."

If that doesn't convert her, then it is hopeless.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm happily married to a vegetarian. The best part is when we go to a steak house. She'll order a steak dinner, make a meal out of the sides and give me the extra steak.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  

One of the things I really like to do for a date (that I [i]like[/i]) is to cook a nice big meal for her.  [:)]

Thanks for the input,
CMOS
View Quote

Only because your an AR15.com'er and because you stipulated "nice-looking, "owns a Sig and a shotgun," and just assuming since you also stipulated "first date" that you have not yet ripped her tiny panties from her.....but you have every intention of ripping her tiny panties
from her......

Oh, the meal.

Get a decent bottle of white and red wine.  (Just ask her what wine she likes.)

Get about three or four kinds of cheese - make one a "Goat Cheese" for political reasons.  Get some of those little bitty thin crackers - wheat.  Cut up a couple of radises, celery, etc., lots of color on your trolling plate.

Nice touch might be to have one wine with the "Whores de Ovaries" - another with the primary meal and a final ( a little sweet) with desert.

Make a nice tomato based sauce seasoned so it has some taste.
Make a pasta - not spaghetti - maybe some shells, or...

Cheese cake for desert.

Simple but effective.

Now this "lady" don't drink wine or eat cheese dump her.

Only report back when ultimate success has been achieved !

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The best part is when we go to a steak house. She'll order a steak dinner, make a meal out of the sides and give me the extra steak.
View Quote

D@mn! That never happens to me. The most I ever get is leftover salad [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I've dated many vegetarians, and it was never a problem.  Most don't care what you eat, just as long as you respect their wishes.  The one bonus that I have experienced, is that I was introduced to many new foods that are much better for me.  I ate stuff that I never new exsited before, and most of it actually tastes pretty good.  As long as she isn't trying to talk you into becoming veggie, it shouldn't be a problem, just an adjustment.  If you dig her, don't worry about it, you won't even think about it after a few dates.  Best of luck to ya.

Kevin
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Used to data a vegetarian about 15 years ago.  Never a big problem, usually ate out.  It was kinda funny the couple of times she got plastered and went to Perkins after the bars closed.  Seems that she forgot she was a vegetarian and would order a big ol' cheeseburger.  She woke up feeling like hell the next day.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Aimless, your post takes the cake so far:

[b]"Remember she can put meat IN her mouth and still be a vegetarian."[/b]

LMAO!!!!

CMOS  [;)]

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Man didn't claw his way up to the top of the food chain to eat grass!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
my wife became a vegetarian about a year after we got married.  she says she just never really like meat.  well i should say that she isnt a true vegetarian, she actually eats anything but mammals.  although she doesnt really like chicken that much either. its difficult for me mainly because im a skinny mofo who doesnt like to cook, so i usually only eat meat products when i go out.  im glad however that i do get a lot more nutrients than i normally would, and have been exposed to shit i never would have normally eaten. plus she still likes fish/shellfish so my family cant "offically" condone a divorce (i was born in louisiana). well my only suggestions would be to grill like a mofo. tofu, soy products and veggies are all easily cooked on the grill along with your own choice meats.  you get to have the good veggies too, and you dont have to bust your ass either.  plus if you can, start eating more greens and veggies anyway because its good for you.  the biggest bonus is that you can get over the flatulance together as a couple.
[:X*]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I aint touching any woman that doesnt accept tubesteak as a part of a healthy eating regiment.
View Quote

Heh, he said tubesteak.[:O)]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to date a girl who wouldn't kiss me if I had the taste of meat on my breath. Of course that didn't last long.

I much prefer those who do it for health reasons as oppsed to "don't eat anything w/ a face."
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends on the vegetarian, as mentioned before.  

My wife is turning towards vegetarianism - both for healt and spiritual reasons.  I don't plan on stopping her, simple because she leaves MY diet alone as well!  That's all I ask.  Besides, I had a medical workup done about 12 years ago and I found that I simply CANNOT survive for more than about three months on a straight vegetarian diet - not enough protiens for my system.

We also have our other (VERY minor!) disagreements.  I hunt (boar and deer) but she won't eat game.  No problem, my neighbour trade hauches for birds (he's an upland hunter!) and I do the occasional Q for some of the rest of the neighbourhood - if the season was good!

Abortion - she sees it as a privacy issue (makes sense) but I have a moral problem with it as retroactive birth control.  Still, things cannot be uninvented, so it is something that now must be lived with.

Firearms - Why do you need that rifle?  With all the bans going on, she's changing her mind (she does own her own firearms as well - her old issue service revolver and an Arisaka that I got and rebarreled for her...)

Modern Chemistry - she won't use anything remotely caustic (or labmade) for housecleaning and the like.  Fine with me, as long as the natural replacement works.  BUT, as a mechanic, I still use some things (brake cleaner, contact cleaner) that are not really "green."  Reason - the green stuff don't work worth a damn, and I think that using a little of something dangerous is better than using a LOT of something that is merely "less dangerous..."

These are some examples of how we have managed to agree to disagree.  Use them as you will...

FFZ
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#36]
What is this crap they don't eat meat because of health reasons. Does that mean they don't want to be healthy. I work out quote often and if I don't get red meat I start to get weak. I don't know who fed these people this crap.[>:/]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I certainly don't try to convert anybody to eating meat but choose not to dayte any vegy types.  Man is an omnivore and to me anything else is abnormal.  If they are into PETA or refuse meat for anything other than health requirements I RUN the other way.  Even for health reasons I look at them a little oddly.

In the end, however, it is up to you!  Do what you feel is right.  If her being vegie bothers you in the least, then look elsewhere for a lady that follows more mainstream path.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't let any vegetarian tell you that they do it for health reasons in this day of modern refrigeration. Before 1925, thousands died each year from eating tainted meat - today the number is maybe 2-3 per year (about the same number deaths as from eating e-coli tainted vegetables). One of the most dangerous places to eat is a salad bar - especially if the vegetable pickers didn't wash their hands after taking a sh!t (another migrant farm worker slam if anyone's keeping track).
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#40]
(In best Homer voice)
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm fat and cholesterol.

I'll keep this very simple
Meat = Yum
Veggies only = dumb
(see it rhymes, that way you can remember it better)
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What is this crap they don't eat meat because of health reasons. Does that mean they don't want to be healthy. I work out quote often and if I don't get red meat I start to get weak. I don't know who fed these people this crap.[>:/]
View Quote

I agree.  I would love to see these PETA do gooders have to do any kind of long term hard physical labor without meat in their diets.  They would shrivel up and die or become meat eaters pretty quickly.  

I read Undaunted Courage about the Lewis and Clark expedition and was fascinated/horrified to learn that those guys consumed 9 lbs of meat a day.  

I'll bet that's what I consume in a month!!

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't let any vegetarian tell you that they do it for health reasons in this day of modern refrigeration.
View Quote

That's not what they mean.  Meat isn't all that healthy.  Great for protein, but most of it is loaded with fat and cholesterol.
View Quote

I've seen lots of overweight/unhealthy vegetarians because they consume too much oil/fat (non animal sources of course). Ever looked into the calorie count for oil-based salad dressing, margarine and like products?

Vegans are the opposite because they have a hard time getting all the amino acids needed to sustain health. If the proper diet isn't eaten, the body will get the nutrients by robbing vital organs of those nutrients. Classic Nazi deathcamp-type/anorexia malnutrition is hard to stop if it goes too far.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, I married a [b][i]vegetable[/i][/b], does that count?

I am sure she is a great gal but somethin' ain't right bout' a person that don't eat meat.

My best friend turned into a veg in law school.

After a couple of years he came back pale, sickly looking and all farty.

Had to part ways.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Let take a good look at this:

1.  Good looking

2.  Owns a Sig

3.  Owns a shotgun

4.  Agreed to go out with you

Hey, it make not get a whole lot better than that.  Sounds like a keeper to me!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use to train competitively, and it really depends on the type of workout you do.  When I was doing triathalons, the meat just slowed me down.  When I was body building, I had to eat meat.  I could not get enough good protein from vegetable based sources (soy, beans, etc).  Most people in the US eat much more meat than they really need to get protein, and meat that tastes really good is loaded with fat.

(If the girl is a hottie, just try not to judge and see how it goes.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I went out with a a gal for almost two years who was a Veggie... I mean really strick, no dairy, no meat, no seafood.... Like not even butter.
She is a good lady (we only broke up because she got a great job far away,) but I had to adjust my cooking habits. If you like her and think she is worth it, then you will adjust to her needs... Just like she would yours.

I ended up cooking two meals when we ate at my home, one for her and one for me.

It's no big deal once you get used to it.

edited because,
She even took it well when I went hunting and came home with a corpse. As long as you don't get into "that" arguement" with her, then it should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#49]
i wouldn't date a woman that won't eat meat [;)]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I am married to a lifelong vegetarian.  She grew up in a vegetarian family, so she has never eaten meat, and doesn't have any desire too.  I, on the other hand, like some meat every day.

We get along great because she doesn't tell me what to eat or not eat, and I don't tell her what to eat either.  She also cooks meat, incredibly well, even though she never tastes it!!!

So really, if she doesn't have a problem with your eating meat, your adjustment troubles will be minor.  You will have to make some, and she will have to make some.  If both of you are willing to do this... what is the problem?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top