Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/19/2005 8:54:59 PM EDT
I am wondering if this show about gang bangin, on HBO, is telling a true story. . . one of many crimes, violence, & death.

If you live in AR, would you mind sharing some stories & info about this Capitol city, things you deal with on a daily basis.

What is life like in Little Rock, if there is really this much violence happening?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:08:41 PM EDT
My sister went to the Universtity of Arkansas in Lots-of-crack (99-04). It was pretty rough around the campus.

When I was in high school criminal justice class, I went to a seminar on gang violence in Little Rock. At that time back in '97, L.R. had one of the worst gang problems in the nation.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:57:13 PM EDT
I was born and raised in Little Rock. I also went to EMT school in January and Febuary of 2000. I worked at MEMS, the ambulance service that covers Little Rock, North Little Rock and almost all of the county. Everything you saw in the film was true. In the 90's Little Rock had the worst violent crime rate per capita in the country several times. There were several areas of the city that LRPD officers would not go. Period. There were nightly shootings for several years and during the worst of it, 10 or more a night. It's one of the few cities I've ever visited that firemen and EMT's wore bullet resistant vests. Not all of them did but most. My very first call was a 16 year old banger shot 6 times in the chest, in his own house while he was watching TV. Guy walked in. Emptied a mag from a chrome .45, dropped it, and walked out. It was something else. Oddly enough there was no blood. First bullet went through his heart and he bled out internally, no blood was ever able to make it to the surface. Keep in mind that I said I went to EMT school in 2000. The worst of it was over by this time. Turns out my medic had picked up the dead guy this kid had shot the night before. Revenge killing. Didn't seem to mess with my medic at all. Had me a tad freaked out.
After a few years all the guys that went to prison because of the crackdown that resulted from the documentary that you've seen started getting out. Talk about making up for lost time. It got real bad again for awhile. I can damn near honestly say I've seen combat. I've had officers hunkered next to me firing, using my rig as cover. Pissed me off I didn't like holes in my truck. I left little rock because even though I grew up in South west little rock (a pretty damn bad part) and moved to west LR (affluent part) shit started spilling over. LRPD officer Jack Cooper was killed in early 02 after following a suspect through a closed apartment door during a foot chase just a few miles from my home. I had a child on the way and chose to move my family to a place not as dangerous. I moved to Jonesboro for the first time about 4 months later. I recently saw the special "bangin in LR: ten years later" and it failed to do justice to how things have gotten since then. Sorry I don't know how to hot link but check out this site.
http://www.littlerock.org/CityDepartments/Police/Statistics/
Things are not as bad as they once were but they are back on the rise.

And about UALR. It's in a pretty damn bad part of Little Rock. It's very near the intersection of Asher and University, the most dangerous intersection in Arkansas. As much for the bullets flying across it as the traffic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:07:42 PM EDT
Not from LR...went TDY there and lived at the "Midnight Rodeo" when I wasn't working.

We called it the "Midnight Hodeo".
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:18:06 AM EDT
Hey Dusty_C, thanks for checking in & sharing a bit... And welcome to the boards!
I also went to EMT school in January 2000, but here in Maine, I didn't see much, other than some really bad accidents.
Don't get me wrong either, I'm not complaining... I just can't imagine it if people were fucking killing each other in the streets here in Maine.
There was this one house of white trash-druggies, that we couldn't go to if there was a call, Not until the Sheriff cleared the house first anyway.
I always thought it was stupid, b'cuz what if one of em' died from an OD or sumthin' right. . .
Anyway . . . That is some crazy shit that is happening down in LR. Really fucking sad actually.

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:33:10 PM EDT
Little Rock doesn't have anything on Memphis, TN. I live in Arkansas, near Memphis so I'm well familiar with both places. A fireman that we used to know (my wife used to cut his hair) got shot (non-fatally fortunately) going in to save some folks in Memphis. The crack heads and gang bangers are horrible in Memphis - there is somebody killed everyday. The mayor, Willie Herenton, is worse than Bill Clinton. He rose to power through the school system and banged everything that walked. He's 64 years old, and announced a couple months ago that he sired another illegitimate child last year. That's Memphis' fine leadership. Little Rock is docile compared to Memphis. The only good thing about Memphis is that the blacks vs. hispanic rivalry hasn't seem to caught on yet - both camps essentially leave each other be. One bumper sticker I saw put it well - "If I owned hell and Memphis, I'd rent out Memphis and live in hell"
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 5:09:05 PM EDT by Lockman]
I'm from Little Rock. There are some areas that are pretty bad. just like any other city. I go to all of them, all the time. Yes back in the '90's there was a lot of gang activity. I remember when you couldn't go to any bars, clubs, or the mall if you were wearing a hat or any kind of sports teams clothes. Security at these places wouldn't allow it, because wearing a hat a specific way, or wearing clothes of a certain team would be a sign of what gang you were in. All together though, it has settled down a lot.

By the way, a couple of weeks ago there was a standoff in a house downtown. The news was showing footage of the SWAT team, and they were carrying P90's.

ETA- I read an article in the paper recently, and it was saying that even now, the midtown area of LR (east of university, south of 630, west of woodrow, and north of asher) has more violent crime per capita, than areas such as Compton, CA, and Gary, IN.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:37:59 PM EDT
I went to law school in Little Rock (graduated in 1995) and back then the area around McArthur Park was dicey. I remember talking to one of the campus policemen one morning and he told me that there had been a big gang shootout in the park. I never went anywhere in LR unarmed (and that was back in the day before concealed carry.

R.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:27:25 PM EDT
Little Rock isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still above the national average on violent crimes. Last year Pine Bluff (30 min south of LR) was #1 in the nation per capita for violent crime. LR is like a lot of larger cities, you just have to be aware of your surroundings and use good sense and you're OK. It doesn't hurt to carry concealed either.

I met one of the men featured on the HBO special "banging in the rock." He was the liquor store owner who shot 2 gang members dead when they tried to rob his store for an initiation ritual. The guy ended up losing his buisness and his mariage over the whole thing. IMO he was obcessed with the whole "I killed these 2 guys" thing even several years after it happened.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:35:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By freemanesq:
I never went anywhere in LR unarmed (and that was back in the day before concealed carry.
R.

So AR has a no concealed carry law?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:01:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4-CQBR:

Originally Posted By freemanesq:
I never went anywhere in LR unarmed (and that was back in the day before concealed carry.
R.

So AR has a no concealed carry law?

I believe AR adopted concealed carry in 1995. I stand to be corrected on that though. I've held a license since 1997.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:03:37 PM EDT
What can you say about a place that bill clit-face came from?
Top Top