Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/13/2003 5:04:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2003 5:05:17 AM EST by JTR]

I am planning on bringing some firearms back with me to N.C. from OR. after Christmas leave. I'll be flying from Portland, Or to Baltamore, MD, then driving through Virginia to N.C. Are there any issues with transporting Handguns, Longguns, or Supressors (all unloaded in a locked Pelican case or small safe) in this manner? In know I need to send a letter to the BATF telling them I am moving the surpressors, right? I got this from the BATF website, which indicates my move would be fine:

"(B7) May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful purposes? [Back]

Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm under certain conditions, notwithstanding state or local law to the contrary. The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and destination. [18 U. S. C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38] 9"

(B11) May a person who is relocating out-of-state move firearms with other household goods? [Back]

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her state of residence. Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, Washington, DC 20226, before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check state and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new state does not violate any state law or local ordinance. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 4), 27 CFR 178.28 and 178.31]

N.C. does allow supressors. . . MD does not, but it is niether the origin or destination state.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Ref: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:09:39 AM EST
I would check at Subguns.com. They have people posting who are familiar with the paperwork and legalities of moving NFA items. See the link. [url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/mgmsg.cgi?[/url]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:21:12 PM EST
You must fill out a 5320.20 form for each NFA firearm, specifying the new location in advance of the move. You can send them to yourself via common carrier or you can transport them yourself. You should verify any requirements for the destination state, just in case. Make sure they are in a trunk or inaccessable, if you do not have a trunk. Othe than that, fly and drive safely. Also check and see if there are any limits that the airline may have... You can find that and many other things at: [url]http://www.packing.org[/url]
Top Top