Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 2:03:28 PM EDT
Considering pulling the trigger and buying a Surface Book. The rumor mill has the Surface Pro 5 potentially being released at the CES the first week of January or in May. If it's January, I think I can probably wait it out. Just curious if anyone in the field has rumors either way. There's also talk of delaying the release further so the Surface Phone can be released at the CES.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard anything. I'd be incredibly surprised to see a Surface phone as well, I don't think anyone reasonably expects one until late 2017 at the earliest.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets hope linux can be installed when its released.

As for a surface phone , I would have thought microsoft learned its lesson about phones by now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lets hope linux can be installed when its released.

As for a surface phone , I would have thought microsoft learned its lesson about phones by now.
View Quote

Microsoft has made more than its fair share of mistakes in the phone business and squandered enormous amounts of money, time, goodwill, consumer interest, and developer interest along the way. That said, with MS' recent announcement of running full W10 on ARM and the fact that even the SD820 chips can apparently run things pretty well in testing I'm incredibly excited at the thought of a phone that runs real applications and can be hooked to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and provide a full desktop experience at reasonable levels of performance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Microsoft has made more than its fair share of mistakes in the phone business and squandered enormous amounts of money, time, goodwill, consumer interest, and developer interest along the way. That said, with MS' recent announcement of running full W10 on ARM and the fact that even the SD820 chips can apparently run things pretty well in testing I'm incredibly excited at the thought of a phone that runs real applications and can be hooked to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and provide a full desktop experience at reasonable levels of performance.
View Quote

This right here would be a game changer.  If it actually works well
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Should be a pretty solid package. Wish they'd figure out how to trim the cost down a little. I think they would take off then. The S4 Pro wasn't bad but I think the price saddled it a bit too.

Bought 4 of these back in the summer for my guys in the field and they are a pretty good package for what we need.

Getting Win10 to quit auto downloading and applying updates at 7am instead of a logical wee hours of the morning took a few rounds to defeat but we got there, eventually LOL.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

They demoed a device with a SD820 and it seemed to run Photoshop and Excel (at the same time) pretty well. The 830 series SoCs are rumored to come in about 27% faster and 40% more energy efficient than the 820s, so things should only get better. The currently available devices (950/950XL/X3/Idol 4s) that run continuum are already quite good at doing what they're able to do and it's pretty cool to hook a phone to a dock and be able to use a full range of accessories and output video to a monitor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ubuntu already did this... I would own one but no one seems interested in porting popular mobile apps to it yet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ubuntu already did this... I would own one but no one seems interested in porting popular mobile apps to it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which phone running Ubuntu can I buy where I can plug it into a dock and run full Windows 10 and run x86 Windows apps?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Which phone running Ubuntu can I buy where I can plug it into a dock and run full Windows 10 and run x86 Windows apps?
View Quote

Canonical already placed ubuntu on a phone. Not android, ubuntu . Microsoft will Definitely not be first to put a regular OS on a mobile device.  And dont act like a tard.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Canonical already placed ubuntu on a phone. Not android, ubuntu . Microsoft will Definitely not be first to put a regular OS on a mobile device.  And dont act like a tard.
View Quote

I never said MS was first to do anything. I said that it would be huge to have full W10 running on a phone and be able to run the same applications people already have and use on their normal PCs. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I never said MS was first to do anything. I said that it would be huge to have full W10 running on a phone and be able to run the same applications people already have and use on their normal PCs. 
View Quote

I think right now they are trying to figure out how to get more people to use windows 10...

When I need windows, i use windows 8 and when support ends , I will probably stop using windows.

Go squared shows that only 34% have adopted win 10. Thats not really impressive adoption rates considering previous releases of windows.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think right now they are trying to figure out how to get more people to use windows 10...

When I need windows, i use windows 8 and when support ends , I will probably stop using windows.

Go squared shows that only 34% have adopted win 10. Thats not really impressive adoption rates considering previous releases of windows.
View Quote

Congrats.

None of this has anything to do with OP's question about a SP5 or Surface Phone. I guess you just wanted to talk about Linux.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top