Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 7:57:16 AM EDT
Or sad ones?

I'm in need of new wheels and am debating whether to buy a Pinzi because they're soooooooooo cool, or a used Jeep Cherokee because that would be more "practical".

Should I go ahead with my midlife crisis and buy a Pinzgauer now while I have the money and a job?  They have provisions for rifle mounts and even come with an AXE.

[url]http://www.pinzgauer.com/[/url]

I should add there is a dealer in my area.  Nice guy named Bob Greene.  He's always at the gun shows in Del Mar.  Anyone who sells military vehicles and automatic weapons has to be at least somewhat trustworthy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#1]
go for it Kid.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have looked at unimogs and the pinzgauers  for work with the survey crews and ruled out the unimog for size and speed. The only thing I am concerned about is getting a shop to work on the Pizgauer. We dont do any maintence here. I think if you do anywheeling it would be a hoot.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#3]
That is hilarious that this came up.

I’ve never heard about Pinzgauer until yesterday when an old co-worker stopped by and was talking about his. He pointed me to his web site with info and photos.

[url]www.digitaljunkyard.com[/url]

They look like very capable off road vehicles. The Unimog (made by Mercedes Benz) appears to have top speed limitations.

I’d love to get one to knock around in, but not as primary transportation.

Maintenance is relatively easy. Parts would probably be scarce, but you wouldn’t have much competition for parts so you would probably have decent scrap cars around for whatever you may need. You can always find ways to make something work. A 12v alternator is still a 12v alternator as long as you can fabricate a mounting bracket.

--LS

[img]www.digitaljunkyard.net/trail/paragon/200108/.thumbnail/08260059_640x480.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is hilarious that this came up.

...A 12v alternator is still a 12v alternator as long as you can fabricate a mounting bracket....
View Quote

A 12 V alternator is a 12 V alternator except when it's a 28 V three-phase alternator and the entire electrical system runs on 24 V DC.

I work on engines and firearms and have a milling machine and stuff.  Not too worried about availability of a mechanic.  I figure there must be scads of parts somewhere in the world, even if you have to have them shipped from Europe.

Good point about not being practical for daily transport.  I could just hang on to my trusty '85 Nissan truck for that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yea, BTW.

You should email my friend and ask him about his...

--LS
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks longshot.  The email in my AR15.com profile is dead so don't try to contact me that way.  I'll send you something some other way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top