Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 7:19:15 PM EDT
I've put off posting this for too long...

I need to know something about flags. This one in particular:

OK, here comes the questioning...
1) The ornament that sits atop the flag pole is called a finial - What is the cloth that is covering it (name/use)?
2) The tassels and rope should be gold in color - Should the mini-tassel on the cloth (from Question 1) be gold too?
3) What color should the cloth be?

This is the one and only thing I didn't think of when I went to get my tattoo. I'll be going back next Monday to have the color filled in on the cloth atop the finial and would appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I need to know something about flags. This one in particular: img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/ylbevets/My%20Tattoo/flag.gif

1) The ornament that sits atop the flag pole is called a finial - What is the cloth that is covering it (name/use)?
2) The tassels and rope should be gold in color - Should the mini-tassel on the cloth (from Question 1) be gold too?

This is the one and only thing I didn't think of when I went to get my tattoo. I'll be going back next Monday to have the color filled in on the cloth atop the finial and would appreciate any input.

I dunno what the cloth is or even if it has a special name. So far as I can remember, the tassel on the cloth has always match the other tassels. As for the color of the cloth... I'm thinking white or gold, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't get a tattoo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to know something about flags. This one in particular: img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/ylbevets/My%20Tattoo/flag.gif

I dunno what the cloth is or even if it has a special name. So far as I can remember, the tassel on the cloth has always match the other tassels. As for the color of the cloth... I'm thinking white or gold, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't get a tattoo.

Hahaha, too late

I was thinking the same thing... I guess I'll have to find some experts and send out a few emails.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quick count shows 33 stars, so I'm thinking it is a Civil War era flag and the "covering" is a representation of the caps worn by Revolutionaries  in either France or Italy.

If it is a case, then it's just a case used for "casing"  the colors.  (Refer to "The Horse Soldiers"  John Wayne "Uncase the colors" Trooper "Oh great, here we go again." and the General Orders 10.  To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.)

Generally the fringe around the edges and the cords and knots/tassels are gold bullion (not solid gold but that's what certain gold covered fibers and cords are called cuz you can't gild or plate fibers), but and this is a big but, ifit is the "Battle Flag" of a military unit then the cords and fringe may reflect the corps colors of that unit.  Cavalry  gold/yellow, Infantry blue, Artillery Red.

Again the colors of the Caps are red for France and blue for Italy (if I recall correctly Garibaldi had only recently unified Italy and there were some units consisting of all former Italian soldiers, similar to the Irish Brigade and Highlander brigades)

As far as finials go, some but not all of the Services specify which finials are required for which/whose flags.  The  Sea Services (Navy, Marines, Coast Guard) have regs specifying (partly so an OOD and Quarterdeck watach can provide the correct passing or arriving honors), last I heard the AF recommends.  I have seen gold and silver plated Mack Truck Bulldogs on Marine Flags.  The Flag Code does not address the use of finials.

The Eagle is nominally for the Presidents Flag only, but is often used for national flags or all flags in a color guard.  BTW, the Military Regs don't apply out side the bases so you can put whatever you want or ypour own flags.

I'm thinking you have a period drawing, not a contemporary "correct" usage illustration.  Also depending on where you count the flag has from 14 to 18 stripes.  Notice a red stripe on top and a white stripe on the bottom which means it can't have 13 stripes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top