Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2009 9:40:14 AM EDT
I've had a light fixture in my bathroom closet that's never worked since I moved into this house about 7 years ago.  Finally got around to pulling the fixture down to try to fix it and the fixture is corroded inside, and there was water in it.  I went up into the attic but there are no areas where it's leaking.  I was looking up into the electrical box in the ceiling and saw a drip of water come out of the conduit that terminates in the box that the fixture is mounted to.  I'm assuming that the water is just from condensation; the conduit doesn't run to any outside fixtures, and there just doesn't appear to be any other way the water could be getting in there.  

I can put a new light fixture on and hook it up, but I don't want this one to get ruined like the last one appears to have been.  Any ideas for keeping this from happening again?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It can happen where condensation can build up in a conduit that goes through different temperatures.    If it goes from a bathroom with high humidity, through a cold attic, it  is even more possible.    NEC 300.7(A)  says that this can be sealed if this is the case. AND if you would consider the cold attic to be "exterior"

If this is in a residence, any reason why not just use romex to your light?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
NEC 300.7(A)  says that this can be sealed if this is the case. AND if you would consider the cold attic to be "exterior"

"exterior" has nothing to do with it at least up to 2005 (2008 at work).

Blocking conduit to limit condensation is fine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top