Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 4:03:11 PM EDT
Has anyone compared noise,flash or how well the muzzle breaks that look like flash hiders work? Both Kurts Kustom and Wilsons offer these. I have a Bushy shorty with AK break how do they compare? They sure do look cool!!!
Thanks, 51 out...

[x]

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the CAV-COMP from [url]www.brownells.com[/url] $25 retail.
It was cheap and easy to install.
Looks like a pre-ban untill you get up close.
I haven't noticed an increase in flash or blast, but I haven't shot it at night yet.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/014/UU/jD/lm/Ts50886.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I would recommed Kurt's to anyone!  He put one on my 20 inch HBAR. With an Aimpoint mounted on my rig, I am practically able to keep the red dot on target between shots.  Not only does it keep the muzzle down but it also reduces the flash to almost nothing.  It also looks bitch!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the cav comp for threaded barrels only? Doesn't say in the catalog. I also have an aimpoint on a bushmaster shorty and was thinking of wilsons.Too proud of theirs though!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]www.brownells.com/images/products/296201017.jpg[/img]

How about this one.  Anybody have any experience with one of these.  This is the best looking one IMO.

EGW AR-15 A2 Compensator

A2-Style With Increased Muzzle Control
Looks nearly identical to the standard issue, A2 flash hider but helps control recoil and muzzle flip. Lets you keep the original, military appearance but enjoy less felt recoil and a faster follow-up shot. Solid area on bottom of comp eliminates dust signature for more comfortable prone shooting. Requires indexing, includes peel washer.
SPECS: Steel, blue, matte finish. 13/4" (4.4cm) long, 3/4" (19mm) diameter, 1/2"-28 tpi.

More Information:
[b]MUZZLE BRAKES & COMPENSATORS FOR POST-BANS[/b]

Stock No.         Product        Retail Price       Your Price

296-201-017 .223 A2 Compensator    $50.00     $40.00

296-201-018  9mm A2 Compensator    $50.00       $40.00    

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
HBar owner if your muzzle brake reduces flash then you are breaking the law. Flash hiders are illegal on post ban guns.

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
HBar owner if your muzzle brake reduces flash then you are breaking the law. Flash hiders are illegal on post ban guns.

View Quote

Oh golly gee....maybe you should report him hineline
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Back in December of last year, I had Kurt remove the AK brake on my Shorty upper and replace it with a KKF A3 (long) brake.  I had put around 800 rounds through this upper before the brake swap.  He also put the A3 brake on my plain muzzle Bushmaster M4 upper.  The construction of the brakes and the installation are first-rate.

The following, EXTREMELY unscientific info compares the AK brake with the KKF.  I've fired both brakes at indoor (lighted and lights out) and outdoor ranges.

"Noise" is comparable between the two, and I didn't need double hearing protection at any time.  Unlike another AK Shorty owner stated in another post, I did not experience any unusual discomfort (tooth rattling, headaches, nose bleeds, etc.) with either brake.

Only difference with flash that I noticed is the KKF puts it out at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, whereas the AK was straight out the sides.  I didn't notice a change in the amount of flash with either unit.

The AK brake controls the muzzle slightly better, though there's no twist to the small amount of recoil with the KKF.

Appearance is a big reason why I had the AK brake removed ....  

Overall I'm very pleased with the KKF brake.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard the EGW isn't post ban legal because the diameter is the same, it still could be used as a grenade launcher. ( one of the 1994 evil features)
EGW's website says it is legal. ???
I ordered one from brownells, but returned it because I accidently got the 9mm one.
It looked like they took a real flash suppressor, bored out the inside,  and pressed a washer over the muzzle end.
I got some CAV COMPs and like them fine.
Hey deadeye47, the CAV COMP, EGW, and Wilson, are all threaded to fit a pre-ban barrel.Don't forget to cut off the bayonet lug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top