Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 9:16:09 PM EDT
I was really into comics as a kid.  I really loved going to the store, picking up a few books and spending the afternoon reading them.  I started out on GI Joe, Archie, and Superman.  Progressed to Captain America, West Coast Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Groo, Elfquest, etc. etc.  

I think the last time I bought a book was around 89 or 90.  Just moved on to other things.  

A friend told me about the new stuff Marvel is doing (Ultimates) and I started checking Marvel's website on a semi-regular basis.  With the release of the Ultimate Avenger DVD this week, I broke down yesterday and went to a comic shop.

Came out $45 poorer with the two issue X4 series and the two Ultimate Avenger compilations in hand.

Talk about a big change.  I hadn't even picked up a comic in probably 12 or 13 years.  I was used to newsprint paper and faded inking.  These new books are amazing.  Never mind the beautiful artwork.

I see a whole lot more money leaving my pocket in the future.  Esp. with the Marvel Civil Wars coming up this summer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a few years since I've read any but yeah, I like comics...
I always read Spider Man and X-Men as a kid...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Comics past the mid 1990s have been a disaster.  Ugh.

I relish the older stuff, even if I am not that old myself!

Once the artwork hit a computer screen, I hit the road.  

- BG
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
NERDS!!!!

seriously I used to read Groo the Wanderer
man that had to be 20 years ago
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
27 years old and I still buy the new Punisher everymnth.  It is more realistic and not fantastical

He was a Marine and the guns are always good.  It is an adult comic now i.e. nudity and language oh yeah and violent kills.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I still dabble in both brands. Anybody keep up in the Marvel ZOMBIEVERSE?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]
After Cerebus ended in '03, I don't get any comic anymore.  Never got into the men-in-tight superhero stuff.  I used to read Groo, too, and Love and Rocket.  The "alternative" comics were just whiney neurotics with poor self-image.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a number of Ultimates titles; the best (IMHO) is the actual Ultimates line, which follows SHIELD as the main protagonist, with lots of guest appearances by Ultimate Avengers, Ultimate X-Men, and others.  They have been collecting old issues into 12-issue books; definitely the best (and cheapest) way to catch up.

Another KILLER series is The Walking Dead, from IDW Press.  It is basically set in the universe of Dawn of the Dead, and follows a group of survivors fleeing the ruins of Atlanta; they hole up in a prison.  The title is really more about the people; zombies only appear in about half of the issues, but there is enough strife and violence among the survivors to keep things interesting.

Most importantly - there are some good old-school characters starring in a few 6-issue limited runs right now that will warm the cockles of an ARFcommer's heart; Jonah Hex, Sgt Fury and Sgt Rock.  I have been happy as a fat boy in a candy shop with those titles.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, from about ... 12 years old to about... '88?
X-Men, Avengers, World's Finest, Spiderman (Peter Parker the Amazing, The Spectacular, etc...) Rom, Warlord, Teen Titans, Tarzan, Conan, Ginger Fox, Danse (lesbian - 1 shot - cute), Icon Devil, Ex-Mutants - IOW - all over the place ... err... I mean eclectic.

Haven't picked one up in over... 10 years, 'cus I'm just tht poor... and it's FAR too adictive!

Quoted:
I was really into comics as a kid.  I really loved going to the store, picking up a few books and spending the afternoon reading them.  I started out on GI Joe, Archie, and Superman.  Progressed to Captain America, West Coast Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Groo, Elfquest, etc. etc.  

I think the last time I bought a book was around 89 or 90.  Just moved on to other things.  

A friend told me about the new stuff Marvel is doing (Ultimates) and I started checking Marvel's website on a semi-regular basis.  With the release of the Ultimate Avenger DVD this week, I broke down yesterday and went to a comic shop.

Came out $45 poorer with the two issue X4 series and the two Ultimate Avenger compilations in hand.

Talk about a big change.  I hadn't even picked up a comic in probably 12 or 13 years.  I was used to newsprint paper and faded inking.  These new books are amazing.  Never mind the beautiful artwork.

I see a whole lot more money leaving my pocket in the future.  Esp. with the Marvel Civil Wars coming up this summer.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I do not read "comics"

I do however, read "graphic novels"...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven't purchased one in 15 years, but I do have all the ones I ever got all in plastic bags and thin cardboard.  Something like 1000 of them.  Loved the GI Joe and X-men.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#13]
<------ 2000+ in storage.
At least 50+ autographed
Many #1 issues.

Too much money vested.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The real question I want to know is where and when do I sell them?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The real question I want to know is where and when do I sell them?

ebay
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I started on GI JOE when I was a kid, collected all the NAM's, some punisher and a bunch of number 1 issues. I got a bunch of crap I need to get rid of though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top