Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 5:08:28 PM EDT
I'm trying to find out how much a coin I recently received is worth. It is a 1921 silver dollar with what I think is a Lady Liberty head on the front with E. Pluribus.Unum around the edge and "Liberty" written on her crown. On the back there is an eagle with arrows and I'm guessing olive branches in it's talons. The back also has written on it "United States of America - One Dollar", and "In God we trust". Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe the $9.00 range. I collect coins and that is what I pay from a dealer.

Roy
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]

You also need to know the condition of the coin . They are " graded " to a very specific set of standards and the value can change tremendously from the high to low grades .  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Jeez, I bet the Google oracle will answer all your questions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Does it look like this?

Like rdsr and djohns6 said $9.00 and up depending on condition, mint marks etc.  Not an uncommon coin, but still neat considering its age and what it's made out of. Nice chunk of silver if nothing else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Also this coin is referred to as a Morgan Dollar .  Morgan was probably the designer .  A quick check showed prices varying from $11 to over $50 for better grade coins .    1921 had the highest mintage
of the Morgan Dollar .  Over 88 million minted that year .

Did you notice a small letter just beneath the Eagle ?  This indicates where it was minted .
 D for Denver , S for San Francisco or no mark means Phillidelphia . ( did I spell that right ? )

Just do a GOOGLE search for Morgan Dollar and you'll find out all kinds of info .
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez, I must have 30 or 40 of those in my gun safe. A bunch of WW2 steel pennies, buffalo nickels and what not. I can probably buy some new whiz bang AR with all the trimmings with the old coins and Case XX pocket knives in the safe.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does it look like this?

lioncoins.com/jpegs/814.jpg

Like rdsr and djohns6 said $9.00 and up depending on condition, mint marks etc.  Not an uncommon coin, but still neat considering its age and what it's made out of. Nice chunk of silver if nothing else.

Not quite. I wish I could post a pic of it. "Liberty" is only written on the crown, with "E. Plurubus. Unum" about half way around the circumference, There are 7 small stars to the left of 1921 and six stars to the right. On the back, there is a frontal picture of an eagle with both wings spread, and the eagle is facing left.

I'm no expert at judging the condition of coins, but I would say this is in good to very good condition. All lines are fairly sharp.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 Also this coin is referred to as a Morgan Dollar .  Morgan was probably the designer .  A quick check showed prices varying from $11 to over $50 for better grade coins .    1921 had the highest mintage

Did you notice a small letter just beneath the Eagle ?  This indicates where it was minted .
 D for Denver , S for San Francisco or no mark means Phillidelphia . ( did I spell that right ? )

Just do a GOOGLE search for Morgan Dollar and you'll find out all kinds of info .

Both the Morgan and Peace Dollars were minted in 1921.  This is a Morgan

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does it look like this?

lioncoins.com/jpegs/814.jpg

Not quite. I wish I could post a pic of it. "Liberty" is only written on the crown, with "E. Plurubus. Unum" about half way around the circumference, There are 7 small stars to the left of 1921 and six stars to the right. On the back, there is a frontal picture of an eagle with both wings spread, and the eagle is facing left.

I'm no expert at judging the condition of coins, but I would say this is in good to very good condition. All lines are fairly sharp.

Ok,,then it's this one, Previously identifired as a Morgan Dollar:

Same applies, $9+.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup, that's it. There is a small "S" under the eagle, so it was a San Francisco mint coin. Thanks !
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yup, that's it. There is a small "S" under the eagle, so it was a San Francisco mint coin. Thanks !

Depending on condition, anywhere from $14 up www.bestcoin.com/us-morgan-dollars-two.htm

In the end it's worth what someone's willing to pay you for it.  If someone wants a common circulated Morgan dollar they can get one for $10 or so, if they're looking specifically for a 1921-S they'll pay a little more, but wont pay a little more for a 21-S if they just want a Morgan dollar to have around
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top