Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/26/2002 12:03:23 PM EST
Specifically left handed bow shooters. I was wondering what kind of bows you use. Antone have any experience with Mathews? How about a good source for bow supplies? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 12:04:19 PM EST
no, they have a new thing now, guns.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 1:25:40 PM EST
gunner-1, I bowhunt and I'm a lefty as well. I shoot a PSE Carrera w/orion cams and a Hill longbow. Ask me anything you want, I love helping new bowhunters. i'll tell you right off the bat, buy your bow from an archery shop, you will have to go to one anyway to have it adjusted and the shop owner will set you up with nice matched options like sites,peep,rest, stabilizers, arrows, (made for your bow and your draw) broadheads (I swear by rocket steelhead mechs). I've been bowhunting for 15 years so you've found a good source of info !!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 1:28:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 1:32:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By quietshoez: no, they have a new thing now, guns.
View Quote
is this website called AR15.com? or LEFTYBOWHUNTERS.COM? hehehehe just kidding bows and arrows are cool!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:28:32 PM EST
I'm a righty but have been bow hunting for 35 years . There are lots of nice new bows on the market today . I looked at the Mathews bows and saw where the bows weak links are (in the wheel / cam areas , plastics washers go south ) I wound up with a Martin Cougar Magnum for half the price and is so easy to shoot . I just bought my Son a Fred Bear Vapor 300 (split limb) that is a copy of a $700 Jennings . You see Jennings owns Bear and the riser is a Jennings as are the limbs ,cams , wheels ... It's a great bow .DON'T GET SUCKED IN BY ALL THE MATHEWS ADVERTISING . A good bow is easy to find today without spending a fortune on equipment . Oh yea , my Martin shoots a 465 gr arrow at 302 fps measured by my chronograph !
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:36:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:45:45 PM EST
I'm right handed and use a Jennings compound. I've had great success with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:38:38 PM EST
Love to hunt deer with a bow. I'm a righty though and use an older Martin Pantera. It is a VERY consistant shooter [ie... accurate]. I'm a Martin fan.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:52:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:30:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By DrFrige: I shot my first (and only so far) Robin Hood. For those of you that don't know what a Robin Hood is, it is when you shoot an arrow in a bullseye and then you shoot the second arrow into the ass end of the first one.
View Quote
Awesome shooting. The first two or three times you do that you will brag for days. After that you will buy those target pages with 4 or 6 bullseyes on them so you don't waste 7 bucks an arrow when you do it. I shot a double Robin Hood at the local indoor range. I wasted 20 bucks worth of arrows on that and the third arrow mangle number two up really bad. [number one was already toast with the nock rammed 1/3 down the shaft] If you're that good.... buy more arrows and use smaller and more targets. Really. Those arrows get expensive. If you folks can hunt with a bow... you can hunt with just about anything. It's hard to believe that a deer 100 yards away is wayyyyyyyy out of range. Be sneaky, be accurate, get closer, use the wind/rain etc.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:49:44 AM EST
Well, I am a lefty, but I am betting I am in the very minority. I shoot a 64# @ 28" Long bow, maple, no sights, no stabilizers, nothing. My arrows are Ash shafts, 600gr, with 140 grain two blade broadheads, hand sharpened. I love taking it out to the archery range, I always get unique looks. By the way, with my draw I am drawing over 70#, it works really well on deer, even better on gophers [smash] I rarely hunt with it anymore, not because of the effort involved, just because all my hunting partners use Bolt actions, I am still different I use an M1 [:D] But when I loan wolf it... I love that Long Bow I even had ONE Robin Hood with it, at a competition, but using wood arrows they do not split perfectly like in the movies, split for about 3 inches, then deflected into the target close to the other shaft [:(] I really wanted to hang that one up [;)] I buy all my Archery Equipment from a little shop in Canada, Cranbrook BC. It is called Windfeather Archery Traditions. And it only deals with longbows and recurves unfortunately. All fun right guys?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:45:24 AM EST
You tell em, Ed! I haven't hunted in a couple of years (thinking of starting up again this year), but I have a John Schulz Trophy Hunter, also 64# @ 28". Lets hear it for the stick bow guys! Rocko
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:19:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:59:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:10:16 PM EST
I just picked up my new Hoyt Magnatec. So far I love it. Nothin better than a Hoyt in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:42:55 PM EST
I shoot a High Country Sniper. Got it in 1992 and I am still shooting it to this day. I haven't got to hunt with it much the past few years, but I still shoot it as often as I can.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:57:39 PM EST
I think the best though is when I was younger, I had many longbows, and I had one that was 78# @ 28" [devil] I used to love shooting it, then letting a compound guy try it, no let off, so when he was at full draw he woudl try and steady and aim, hmmm, nothign like those shakes settign in real quick. I learned this from an older man who did the same thing to me, but with a 100# longbow, with my draw if I had drawn it fully it would have been a 110# [shock] talk about burstign something. ah well, I guess I am old fashioned, M1s or longbows are my deer weapons of choice. I am waiting for the Bow bans to come in "they can pierce bullet prof vests, they are quiet..." ever notice it is always bullet proof vest when the antis are yipping, never just armor? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:27:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:48:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/28/2002 5:52:00 AM EST by Pangea]
[url]www.bowsite.org/stickbow/tf/threads.cfm[/url] Go here. Ask around. The answers to all your questions will be answered by some of the most in the know bow HUNTERS in the country. Just don't get another traditional vs compound thread started please! Oh yeah, dont say the "C" word there either! (crossbow) is a volatile subject with those men and women. There are even sites dedicated to your state. Good luck.
Top Top