Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/19/2009 10:49:18 AM EST
I'm considering starting bicycling as an alternative to running for cardio exercise. I raced BMX as a kid so bikes certainly aren't foreign to me.

Anyway, my local bike shop has this one in stock and it looked and felt nice:
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/conquest-sport-09.html

So anyway . . . any riders here? Your thoughts on a decent bike that won't completely break the bank? (Under 1K)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:43:31 PM EST
I'm not a serious cyclist but we do like to take the occasional trip with ours. Has your bike shop let you test ride the Redline you posted? I settled on a nice little Trek several years back that I like a great deal. I bought it for the aluminum frame because it was light and rust resistant. It was a good investment and doesn't require a lot of maintenance. Check out bicycling.com. They have a really nice forum there where you can get good advice.

What kind of terrain will you be riding?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:02:43 PM EST
average arfcom attitude toward bicyclist:
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:06:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 1:07:42 PM EST by TheGunCollector]
Fellow roadie here.

Many options out there, but since your budget is pretty low, I'd start with something like THIS from BikesDirect.

ETA: Or this:

HERE

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:06:47 PM EST
IBTL
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:08:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By dawgm:
http://www.odt.co.nz/files/story/2008/06/Mexico_Accident_Flah_Mediumcrop.jpg

Holy. Shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:15:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By ftwm:

Holy. Shit.

My sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:19:11 PM EST
I'd also suggest checking out a Performance Bike store if there's one near you in PA (three in the state). www.performancebike.com

They generally have a helpful, educated staff, minus the attitude they seem to breed at other LBS. While they don't carry the brands I ride, I buy most of my parts/accessories there. They have some really good entry level bikes, especially the Fujis.

Semper Fi

PS, why do the LBS seem to employ jackasses? I went into several looking to drop 3K, and they attitude from the HS dropouts behind the counter was enough to make me walk out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:19:57 PM EST
Take a look at REI.com. Their house brand is pretty good and this time of year you can find good deals. $1000 is a fine budget to start with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:24:49 PM EST

Sad,but true.

TheGunCollector's link is pretty good advice as long as you're sure of fit size. Much more science in fit than there used to be due to the compact design frames and sloping top tubes.

Bikes Direct bikes often get panned but, the level of components is usually one step (or more) above the local bike store stuff in the same price range.

The ARF.com of bike forums http://www.bikeforums.net/
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:27:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By ScrubJ:

Sad,but true.

TheGunCollector's link is pretty good advice as long as you're sure of fit size. Much more science in fit than there used to be due to the compact design frames and sloping top tubes.

Bikes Direct bikes often get panned but, the level of components is usually one step (or more) above the local bike store stuff in the same price range.

The ARF.com of bike forums http://www.bikeforums.net/

Here is a GREAT fit calculator for the OP if he decides to go with something from BikesDirect.

Fit Calculator
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:30:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By USMC2111:
I'd also suggest checking out a Performance Bike store if there's one near you in PA (three in the state). www.performancebike.com

They generally have a helpful, educated staff, minus the attitude they seem to breed at other LBS. While they don't carry the brands I ride, I buy most of my parts/accessories there. They have some really good entry level bikes, especially the Fujis.

Semper Fi

PS, why do the LBS seem to employ jackasses? I went into several looking to drop 3K, and they attitude from the HS dropouts behind the counter was enough to make me walk out.

Another good suggestion. Lucky for me, our LBS staff is very professional. They do fits and builds for people from all over Florida and out of state.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:32:50 PM EST
Go to Goodwill and buy yourself a good second hand bike cheap. Then after a year, if you're tired of it, then consider spending the bucks on a higher end model.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:39:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Go to Goodwill and buy yourself a good second hand bike cheap. Then after a year, if you're tired of it, then consider spending the bucks on a higher end model.

Or Craigs List. Are you looking at a cross type bike (the Redline) specifically or do you want a full on road?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:48:34 PM EST
check out craigslist.com I got a great deal on my bike there.

It was a year old and 50% less then retail...no reason to spend a lot on your first bike.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:14:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 2:15:03 PM EST by ScrubJ]
Another suggestion would be to seek out any group rides in your local area and see if any of the riders have a bike they're looking to sell. One of the guys in my regular group has around nine bikes and is where I purchased my first full on road bike.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:17:56 PM EST
Montague Paratrooper- Tactical Folding Mountain Bike

The Paratrooper® is a full size, 24 speed mountain bike designed to endure any terrain at high speed in silence with no heat signature. Since the 1980s, Montague has provided full-size folding bicycles to various divisions of the military. The Paratrooper® offers up to 500 pounds of load hauling capability and it does not need gasoline. It has enhanced off-body load bearing capabilities, a high level of maneuverability, and can compact to a portable size in less than 30 seconds

Tough, rugged, and ready for anything, this mountain bike is dropped from the sky to land prepared for action. The speed of unfolding this bike for riding will blow you away. No tools required to fold and stash in your Humvee. The Paratrooper® comes equipped with front suspension, 24-speed SRAM X-5 shifters, and heavy duty double cage aluminum pedals to tackle the roughest terrain. The Paratrooper® Tactical Folding Mountain Bike uses all standard mountain bike wheels and components serviceable at any bike shop.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:03:50 PM EST
That Redline is a decent entry level bike. There are a slew of sub 1K road bikes available. Go to your local bike store and find your size. The top tube should be 1 inch below your junk while standing flat footed. Then ride a few to see what you like. Then like someone else said, check on craigslist or crapbay and find a deal. You can hundreds if you shop enough. I ride mine for stress relief and get a good workout while I'm at it. I also pack my HK .40 in my camelbak for rogue dogs and any wise ass that might feel like playing chicken. Here's mine
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:42:06 PM EST
You should be able to get a nice used road bike off Craigslist for five or six hundred. I like my Cannondale Synapse , made in USA.

Test ride a few and see what fits and what feels right. I have long arms and feel cramped on a compact frameset. The longer distance between seatpost and headset opens up my diaphragm to breath better.

I would limit my investment to a used bike until you see how you adjust to riding.

With the money you save on a bike spend it shoes, pedals, and good shorts, maybe a seat that fits your hip bones, bike computer, helmet, ect..... sound familiar?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:46:34 PM EST
dont forget your ultra faggy pink spandex jersey.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:52:51 PM EST

Here is my home assembled bike.

After purchasing "store" bikes and wearing them out, cracking the frames and replacing the wheels a number of times. I got tired of it and purchased a Titanium frame (cyclocross style frame) and use left over components. It's been, by far, the best bike I have ever owned. The Ti has a great, smooth ride along with corrosion resistance. The other components vary in quality. Still, this bike has never let me down. It even held up to a nasty, wrist breaking crash.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:56:12 PM EST
You need to line up the tire label with the valve stem.

Nice ride.

What brand frame?

I had a LS Catalyst, and the BB flexed too much for my liking. Also had a Blue Ridge and really liked it. Until I got hit by a car.

Also had a Ti MTB - frame by Diamond Back - that was a great ride.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:00:52 PM EST
My advice is try as many bikes as possible in your price range before committing. Lots of good advice before mine. Good luck, it is a great sport. Just did forty miles this morning on one of the best rides in SE Fl. Indian River drive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:04:10 PM EST
Top Top